Grand Banks v Defever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any loose furniture would be a death trap in my eyes. Sometimes the forecast isn't quite right.

6-8 feet seas can be a gentle, long interval swell or it can be steep, breaking waves. I'd hate to be in the latter with an unsecured chest freezer.

We had a 46’ that we brought down the west coast that had loose furniture. The furniture was on a carpet and never moved even in 18’ seas off the coast of Washington. And I am still alive so I guess it wasn’t quite a death trap. My wife was not along on that trip and she wouldn’t have like it due to the sea conditions.

Go to your CP and add it as your Avatar. Be mindful of the size limitation.

I bought a limited edition mustang years ago from a gentleman who had owned collectable type cars his whole life. His comment was 'buy the model, not the brand'.
Works for cars, should work for boats?

Dan

I would take a Defever any day over a GB because the designs are usually much better and usable IMO. Maybe GBs are a better build or maybe not but I could never deal with the church pew type of seating in the GB. Some Defevers also have that style of built in seating but a lot do not. Also I think that in general Defevers are just better looking. And it never hurts to appreciate the lines of a boat when you walk down the dock.

Question: I have a post on this thread and have a picture of my boat on my profile but it does not appear with my post....how to 'fix' this?

Look for "Avatar" and put your picture there.
Left side, further down.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ��
I think the main consensus is look how the boat has been maintained and if it has the features you need / want. Just to throw a spanner in the works, I'm now also going to have a look at a 2007 Hershine Ensign 50. Any one like to comment on the Hershine?

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ��
I think the main consensus is look how the boat has been maintained and if it has the features you need / want. Just to throw a spanner in the works, I'm now also going to have a look at a 2007 Hershine Ensign 50. Any one like to comment on the Hershine?

Looks fantastic except for no inside helm?

Last edited:
Glad Fleming and Defever cut there teeth on our boat. She is exceptionally very nice.

Looks fantastic except for no inside helm?
Yeah, but he`s in sunny Queensland. "Beautiful one day, perfect the next".
Go south to my state NSW, you find more boats with lower helms. Further south to Victoria, even more. Further south to Tasmania, the island state with nothing between it and Antarctica, they are near obligatory and the FB an endangered species.

Yeah, I'm in QLD. But still want a lower helm. Can get windy and cold here as well.

Yeah, I'm in QLD. But still want a lower helm. Can get windy and cold here as well.
I agree. A lower helm rates above a flybridge on my list.

I have never seen a De Fever or if I have, I did not know what it was. Bought an 87 GB32 fall of 2017 and it surveyed well, although it was on the hard, winterized and the surveyor could not start it on the hard. In the fall when we saw the boat we went through it ourselves before it was taken out of the water and started the engine and checked out the transmission. The yard's mechanic went through it with me and answered lots of questions. I have done a lot of mechanical work on boats. Here comes the bite: Before Boat U.S. would insure it we had to go through the various systems and update a lot of stuff, like the ventilation and detection system for the propane stove. New batteries. New below-water-line hoses, and on and on. So the bottom line: Whatever you pay for it, expect a bunch of investment before you get it on the water unless you want to just leave it tied at the dock like our boat's previous owner. The quality of the Grand Banks was far more than skin and furniture deep -- its mechanical systems and wiring are exceptional. Things are easy to repair and replaceable with standard items that are still on the market. And this was a boat that was, as it stood there IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION. Another point: check out the access to the storage places throughout the boat. Our GB has lots of under-seat storage, but you have to crawl around on the floor opening little vertical trap doors to get things out. Now I am having to reupholster all the seats because I must have access from above -- cut hatch holes in the plywood under the seats and put in removeable lids. These are some things to think about. In the end, you cannot go wrong with a good Grand Banks.

Last edited:
Grandbank....you are right regarding insurance....I've had to have an in-water survey this past year for policy year. It seems they need this every 5 years or so.

BB/Defever

I can’t speak about Defever. Never owned or been on one. I’m very happy with my GB. The teak decks had been removed and the iron diesel tanks had been replaced with aluminum that are secured by straps and fit through the cabin door if they need to be replaced. IMO you can’t go wrong with a GB, But prior maintenance and current condition would be the deciding factors with price probably a third consideration.

Bryant, we have to get together one of these days at the YC one of these days to talk about our GB experiences. I'm on the T-dock...blue hull.

Trawler

Bryant, we have to get together one of these days at the YC one of these days to talk about our GB experiences. I'm on the T-dock...blue hull.

Thanks. I would like that. After the hurricane passes I have a couple of trips but after that would be good.

Are you staying or leaving for the hurricane? Good luck.

Moved boat from YC to Ortega Landing BUT, things are looking better for all of us.

"His comment was 'buy the model, not the brand'.
Works for cars, should work for boats?'

NEVER! ,,,,,, The boats quality of build and outfitting are critical to both use and repairs.

There is a vast difference between boat builders , think RR vs Yugo.

Hi Ralsy, I saw that a year ago you were having a look at the "DeFever 50" at North Haven in Adelaide. Now so are we. Probably still the same ad!
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/defever-ocean-force-50-fly-bridge/230086
I have read the comments about the heritage of the designs with interest. Did you get any further or see it in person, or find out any more? Looks like a nice boat, whatever the heritage.
Did you get a boat in the end?
Regards,
Dave Long
Olinda, Victoria

Back
Top Bottom