Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #81
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I've heard that some camera systems have a "reverse" feature. The image would look like the view one would expect to see in a rear-view mirror. That would make backing into a slip, for example, like backing a car into a parking space....thoughtless.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #82

City: Oxford, MI
I know this is an ancient thread, but I went looking for this story on line after meeting the guy that went down with the trawler. The link to the articles are no longer active so perhaps access to a written account is now lost. The owner of the 38' Grand Banks was docked next to me in Mackinaw City, MI last week and related the story to me. I was amazed at the story and that this guy actually lived to tell the story. It was a 30 minute condensed version of the event. He's doing well and now owns "Kinship" about a 45' Grand Banks (sorry I'm not familiar with the models) and calls Hessel, MI his home port. When I asked if the "Loop" was in his future, he said his days navigating major waterways was over. It was then, he began to relate the story. I'd love to find any documentation of this event if anyone has a source.
jrschantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #83
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
All my seagoing career I have heard ships calling toy boats and asking for their intentions.

Usually in places the big boys have to be and not the toy boats.

I am surprised that more people don't get run over....

The joke is.... it is easier to payout to the surviving families than to slow these big boys down or go aground toy boats.

Think long and hard about whose way you are purposely getting in.

Don't get me wrong...I am the first to argue that commercials don't have the right over recs (usually) in many waters, but to clog many shipping channels because your nav skills lack isn't one time to push your rights.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #84

City: Detroit
So many things should have mitigated this.

This is my backyard and I have spent my life in close proximity to these ships and these channels in both large boats, fishing boats, and kayaks. If the freighter is heading upstream he will push a bigger bow wake, so big that most boats surf off the wake long before making contact with the ship. I could not read the article as it is no longer there. Was the GB anchored? Was he hit be a downstream freighter? What was he doing in the channel not paying attention and not at the controls? Did he not hear the five blasts of the freighters horn when the freighter realized the GB was in his path? Every captain in this waterway is a US licensed captain, authorized to navigate these waters. No foreign captains are allowed to pilot the Detroit River, Lake St,. Clair, or the St. Clair river. These poor captains have to put up with all manner of nonsense mostly from smaller craft. A Grand Banks is usually not something they have to contend with. The draft and weight of the GB makes it a more vulnerable target because it does not push away as easily as jet skis and fishing boats. Again, I could not read the article, but unless the GB had lost power there is no excuse for this happening. A freighter cannot and will not navigate around an obstacle such as a pleasure boat. Never got close to a freighter that I was not trying to get close to. Now ocean going freighters in the open ocean? Those things scare the hell out of me at night. I always pass behind if I can. The odds of what happened here if the GB was not anchored are very unlikely. If he was anchored in the channel............well that should not have happened. He should have drifted out of the channel and reset. Wish I could have read the account. Maybe I will get the chance to ask first hand as I am in Hessel with some regularity.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote