Grand Banks purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbear

Vessel Name
Adelante
Vessel Make
Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Hi,

I've got a friend that is buying a GB 36' Europa. It's a 1992 and he got hung up in meetings in Seattle so I volunteered to go and watch the survey. Fairly familiar with trawlers and such and know the typical things as far as what to look for. Is there anything specific to a GB in that period to watch for?

Thanks,
Jeff

Fuel tanks. Many have a short fuel line from the deck to the tank and the deck fitting starts to leak as the teak deck starts to wear down. Water comes down the hose and sits on top of the tank causing rust. Also look under the tank as much as you can, put a camera or phone in places where you cannot see and take pictures of the tank.
Best to check as many of the deck fittings that you have access to from the inside of the boat.
The two part teak cleaner makes it look pretty but eats away at the soft grain of the wood.

I just bought an 82 Motoryacht, not sure if these issues still exist in 1992.

1. Fuel tanks, look all around and on top, rust is what you are looking for. There are several ways on my boat for water to get down on top of the tanks.

2. Teak decks can get leaky and cause underlying issues

3. Look around windows for signs of leakage and moisture intrusion

I have 1988 GB Europa.

New fuel tanks. The old steel one would most likely be at the end of there life.
The transmissions. Most twin screw Lehman powered boats have a BW CR2 velvet drive. The Starboard tranny has a idler gear that needs modified so it doesn't self destruct.
The sea cocks are old rubber plug Groco. Really good sea cocks if someone hasn't tried to open or close them with out loosing the T bar.

Built like a tank. :thumb:

You got some good information, really nice boat, but water intrusion is a pesky problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom