Old 11-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #1

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
Graco Heat /AC raw water pump.

We’ve used the heat and AC unit over the past two days but this morning shortly upon turning it on I heard a vibration. I went below and determined it was coming from the raw water pump. I shut the valve off and attempted to take the butterfly nut holding the strainer in place off so I could clean the strainer. That has been a challenge I ultimately decided to not force until I could get some opinions. No telling how long it’s been since it has been removed but I can barely budge it. I’ve sprayed it with W 40, I’ve used vicegrips I’ve tapped on it numerous times with a hammer. No Joy. I do see it appears to be shifting down but I would have expected it to come straight off once the nut is loose? Maybe I’m wrong. Should I keep tapping and trying to dislodge this? Pictures below may help.
Attached Thumbnails
354DBE22-08FE-4EFD-9939-3719C4CAC433.jpg  
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Too much pressure on the nut wings may break them off. I'd use a larger vice grip or channel locks to grab the center from the side to apply some torque.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Water pump pliers / channel locks. After you are sure that the seacock is shut off.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Can you make a tool to contact/grab both ears of the nut close to the hub.
Don't use the ears for leverage. THe closer to the hub you can turn on the less likely to break an ear.

Tried some heat from a propane torch? It may not take a lot as you will be heating the exterior of the nut and expanding the nut exterior.

Once moving it likely will be MUCH easier to finish.

And yes, is the seacock OFF?

Once off I think I would drill a small hole in the very top so some penetrating oil can be applied in the future.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #5

City: Vandiver, AL
Vessel Name: SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Model: 1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
Great points all around.

I will pick up a butane torch tomorrow to do just that. I probably have some larger channel locks or vice grips that will work however the handle needs to be short because of a stringer separating that part of the bilge from where my port engine is. A few kind responses have asked me to confirm the thru hull is closed and it definitely is. My question in the original post is once this starts loosening up will it continue to shift downward or should it pull straight out?
Capt. Rodbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rodbone View Post
I will pick up a butane torch tomorrow to do just that. I probably have some larger channel locks or vice grips that will work however the handle needs to be short because of a stringer separating that part of the bilge from where my port engine is. A few kind responses have asked me to confirm the thru hull is closed and it definitely is. My question in the original post is once this starts loosening up will it continue to shift downward or should it pull straight out?
I would use Map Gas. You can get it at Home Depo. Burns hotter than propane or butane. Not nearly as hot as acetylene.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote