GPS Slow sat acquisition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurodoc

Vessel Name
Fitzcarraldo
Vessel Make
55 Ft Steel Trawler
Hi, I own a Lowrance Elite 7 Chartplotter, which is installed at the helm of my steel trawler.
I have noticed that there are days in which it takes a long time until the gps has determined its position. Some days the cursor starts blinking and keeps like that for hours.
Next to the Lowrance I have an Ipad which I use with Boating HD app. This works perfectly well.

My question is: is the antenna from IPad that better... or is the Lowrance:
1.- Malfunctioning.. or
2.- supposed to be connected to an external antenna?

Any clues?

thank you!

Last edited:
I do not believe the iPad GPS receiver is better than a Lowrance unit (Have both). GPS signals will not go through steel so a small shift in location may help. Also, is the Lowrance up to the latest software revision? Sometimes a software update can fix things like this.

Ken

An external antenna is always better. NOt always needed but always better.
As mentioned location also can be a big factor.

I noticed periodially my GPS vhf S.H. , and my tablet, a Samsung both using internal antennas can be slow to find positions or totally fail and go into an alarm.

If I then turn the boat to a different direction and try again they both do just fine. Once the position is obtained no more trouble as they can then track from the reduced number of satellites.

However my antenna equipped unit, the Garmin, never has a problem.

The signals must get through your windows mostly.

Furuno GPA017 GPS Antenna

I had the same issue with my Furuno set a few years ago. It was the antenna. The old antenna ran through the mast so it would have been a major issue to run a new one from the mast. I just mounted it to an outside rail and ran the cable inside in back of the seats. system now works great.
John

I installed a new DSC VHF and plotter inside my aluminum sailboat close to the companionway and neither would aquire GPS signals. An external antenna solved the issue completely.

I wonder whether the iPad has a higher tolerance for error, and just gives a best guess without any overt warnings. Lots of apps don't need super precise location to work... Or as suggested above the signal may vary from one location to another, even when close together.

To add some info: I contacted the manufacturer telling about the problem. Also asking which antenna was best (if). So far no reply.
Regards!

I use Raymarine, had same issue.

The GPS has a battery within. It's function is to remember where it was when powered down.

Once changed, position fix on power up was fast.

Thanks! You know, it seems to me that that may be the issue: when I sail known waters I do not use the gps and sometimes there is a long interval between "on" periods. In such opportunities it takes way longer to find position. So the empty batt on motherboard is plausible to me

Back
Top Bottom