GPH efficiency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm, if you are going to WOT, you might want to loosen the fuel fill caps so the suction does not collapse the fuel tank. The fuel tank vent may not be big enough. WINK WINK

Love this. While comment is hilarious, it's funny mainly because its true...:lol:

454, 455, 460, 427, 501, and other huge cubic inch gasoline engines are sponges for sucking gas tanks empty... in cars, trucks and especially in boats! :nonono:

Chevy 350 cid engines are about the best gas inboards for relatively low fuel use and enough power to run a planning boat at reasonable speed. Although... if you open the secondaries on their four barrel carburetors... then, let the $100 bills flow!

Last edited:
454, 455, 460, 427, 501, and other huge cubic inch gasoline engines are sponges for sucking gas tanks empty... in cars, trucks and especially in boats! :nonono:

Chevy 350 cid engines are about the best gas inboards for relatively low fuel use and enough power to run a planning boat at reasonable speed. Although... if you open the secondaries on the four barrel carburetors... then, let the $100 bills flow!
Sorry to come in at the end - but how are you measuring fuel usage?
Thanks

Chevy 350 cid engines are about the best gas inboards for relatively low fuel use and enough power to run a planning boat at reasonable speed. Although... if you open the secondaries on the four barrel carburetors... then, let the $100 bills flow!

I've got four barrel carburetors on my 327's.

Hey these are fuel injected 454’s thank you very much. They may be thirsty but they sure sound awesome when I start them up.

Honestly, I think 1 MPG at 7 kts isn’t bad at all. But I do hate that they aren’t even working at that speed. That’s about 1600-1700 RPM.

HI, We had a 1986 Bestway 50' trawler with two 300HP Volvo diesel engines. At cruising speed of about 10mph at 1400 rpm we would use 5 or 6 gallons per hour. We planned on 1mile per gallon and often got 1.5 or better. If we idled at about 700rpm we would bet up to 2.5 mpg. If we traveled with slower boats we would idle to stay with them.

You are right that the mpg can be similar for a fast boat vs a slow boat but you have to do the math. We had no interest in a fast boat and our primary goal was comfort.
Hope this helps
Alex

Hey these are fuel injected 454’s thank you very much. They may be thirsty but they sure sound awesome when I start them up.

Honestly, I think 1 MPG at 7 kts isn’t bad at all. But I do hate that they aren’t even working at that speed. That’s about 1600-1700 RPM.

My 32' cary with twin 454's got 1 nm/g at 7 kts OR 22 kts.
With one shut down, you will get close to 1.4 at 7 to 8 kts.

48,000lbs, 2 x 54hp Yanmars.

No wind, no current = 1.7 gal/hr (combined) @ 6.5 knots = ~3.8nmpg

Those are great engines. I had one on my sailboat. 3/4 gph at 6 knots.

Good to know, Dave. Thanks to the meticulous previous owners, 4300hrs and purring like brand new!!

Attachments

• 20180520_085507 (Large).jpg
    20180520_085507 (Large).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Is that pedestal a sea chest?

Is that pedestal a sea chest?

Sure is. One of the features about a GH that I find really appealing.

Those Yanmars give lots of room to work on them. The impeller is right in front, each to access. The only fiddly bits may be the horizontal oil filter unless the building installed a remote filter.

A reasonably good benchmark would be the Dashew 64 FPB which uses 4.78 gal per hour at 9 kts to give a range of 6400 miles on the 3400 gal of fuel carried onboard. Of course these boats are long, narrow and light compared to most other MV.

Im not familier with the OP’s vessel, but clearly there are a lot of overpowered thirsty boats out there. An engines best specific fuel consumption will always be at WOT at lower RPM where the torque peaks. But this is of no use if that point does not match the hull performance. Now if it is a classic boat there may be considerable resistance to re-powering with an engine better matched to the hull. In New Zealand there is an outfit on the South Island that marinizes modern GM engines, the smallest of which are the 2.2 Ecotech engines https://www.jetboatbase.co.nz/ecotec/
These engines are quite light compared to old cast iron engines, which would improve performance yet again. Its possible that a change to the transmission ratio would be needed due to the rpm characteristics of the smaller motors. Unless one does as much of the work yourself, re-powering can be very expensive so its definitely not always the best choice.

I can give some insight into the variation in fuel consumption based on technalogical drive differences with the following small boat examples:
My first small boat was a 12 foot jet boat powered by a Mercury 2 stroke 90hp powerhead mated to a mercury produced jet drive. The efficiency loss of the jet drive meant that the combination was rated as a 65 system. That boat would consume 12-15gal/hour of fuel towing a skier or person on a tube. In no wake zones you would just about pass out from the unburnt fuel vapors and had minimal steering control because of the jet drive. I think I lasted 1 season and sold the boat.

The next boat was a 15 foot speed boat with a very old 50 hp Mercury outboard. Still carburettor style 2 stroke technology, but less HP and better efficiency because of the prop. Not as fast on top speed but plenty faster than planing speed. This boat had a portable 2.5 gal gas tank, and I used to bring along a second 2.5 gal gas can as “backup”. From there I live on a chain of 7 lakes I can do a run from the second lake in the chain to the end and back and it takes more than 2 hours to complete. I can just about do it with 2.5 gal of gas, I usually run out of fuel about a mile from home. So a night and day difference, but Im also not towing a skier.

Finally, after several years of running the second boat, the wiring in the engine harness turned into dust (50 years of water penetration and corrosion) and of course Mercury has obsoleted the parts decades ago. So my new wife bought a G3 12 foot boat with a 15hp late model Honda 4 stroke engine. With this boat, which also has a 2.5 gal portable fuel tank, we can now run the chain of 6 lakes on a little over a half tank of fuel. This is again running well over planing speed but not WOT.

So I have progressed from a boat that would run through 3 full jerry cans of fuel in no time at all, to a boat that used less than 2 gal/hr to a modern 4 stroke outboard that is now down to about a gallon per hour. With the latest boat and motor we can contemplate much longer outings without running out of fuel and have reached the point where fuel cost really is not a significant factor in the cost of boating. Obviously getting good economy requires matching the installed power with your hull properties and having realistic expectations of the boats performance. Usually overpowerig is going to cost you.

This thread has given me the best responses out of all the places where I asked the question. I really enjoyed seeing so many points of view from so many different boat styles.

What I've learned is that Trawlers aren't "magic", and can be just as expensive to operate as my Chris Craft. I think that we just need more practice running her longer distances and monitoring fuel consumption. I also think she may be a good compromise as I first felt she was. She can get us there quick for short trips and play days in the bay, and she can get us there slowly when we want to cruise and enjoy the ride. There's just a few things I need to work on to make her a more comfortable slow cruiser.

I can say with certainty thought that I wish she had a keel! We were anchored out for fireworks on Friday night for the first time and she was quite roly! We had never anchored her before though so we may just need to get used to her.

48,000lbs, 2 x 54hp Yanmars.

No wind, no current = 1.7 gal/hr (combined) @ 6.5 knots = ~3.8nmpg

what is the advantage to two smallish engines compared to a single that was 120 hp or so. I can see the redundancy factor in getting home on 1 engine...but have trouble justifying the doubled maint. time and money. Is there something I'm missing ? Is 2 x 50 better than 1x100 ? I'm not trying to ignite anything here....I'm truly ignorant on this topic and very curious.

I suppose you have greater weight, so less need for ballast....and ovbiously the maneuverablity is increased with twins....it just seems a little odd. I can see twins when you need 800 horsepower because your options are limited...but if you only need 100-150 horsepower......I would think a single would be more desireable.....but as I said....this is an acknowledged weak point of mine.

This thread has given me the best responses out of all the places where I asked the question. I really enjoyed seeing so many points of view from so many different boat styles.

What I've learned is that Trawlers aren't "magic", and can be just as expensive to operate as my Chris Craft. I think that we just need more practice running her longer distances and monitoring fuel consumption. I also think she may be a good compromise as I first felt she was. She can get us there quick for short trips and play days in the bay, and she can get us there slowly when we want to cruise and enjoy the ride. There's just a few things I need to work on to make her a more comfortable slow cruiser.

I can say with certainty thought that I wish she had a keel! We were anchored out for fireworks on Friday night for the first time and she was quite roly! We had never anchored her before though so we may just need to get used to her.

I worked on many a Chris - back in "The Day"... 1950's 60's. Famous family boat when I was real young was our 1948 Chris Craft Express! Years of memories that will never leave me with anything but big smiles!

So... Can you provide photo of your Chris? In the water and out, if possible.

Boats rock, some more than others. Most quite differently as compared to another... depending on hull characteristics, i.e. shape/style... as well as ballast conditions and load-weight placements aboard. Also air-draft [how tall the superstructure is] and beam makes a difference, and whether a single or twin screw. I'm quite sure yours has hard chines just below waterline. That shape is snappy in a roll - but - in general may roll less that round bilge Full Displacement.

I don't recommend selling your Chris till you play with her for a while and "Get Da Feel of Her Deal"! :thumb:

I worked on many a Chris - back in "The Day"... 1950's 60's. Famous family boat when I was real young was our 1948 Chris Craft Express! Years of memories that will never leave me with anything but big smiles!

So... Can you provide photo of your Chris? In the water and out, if possible.

Boats rock, some more than others. Most quite differently as compared to another... depending on hull characteristics, i.e. shape/style... as well as ballast conditions and load-weight placements aboard. Also air-draft [how tall the superstructure is] and beam makes a difference, and whether a single or twin screw. I'm quite sure yours has hard chines just below waterline. That shape is snappy in a roll - but - in general may roll less that round bilge Full Displacement.

I don't recommend selling your Chris till you play with her for a while and "Get Da Feel of Her Deal"! :thumb:

I made a whole thread on her, http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s55/1967-chris-craft-commander-31-a-38731.html

what is the advantage to two smallish engines compared to a single that was 120 hp or so. I can see the redundancy factor in getting home on 1 engine...but have trouble justifying the doubled maint. time and money. Is there something I'm missing ? Is 2 x 50 better than 1x100 ? I'm not trying to ignite anything here....I'm truly ignorant on this topic and very curious.

I suppose you have greater weight, so less need for ballast....and ovbiously the maneuverablity is increased with twins....it just seems a little odd. I can see twins when you need 800 horsepower because your options are limited...but if you only need 100-150 horsepower......I would think a single would be more desireable.....but as I said....this is an acknowledged weak point of mine.

My rationale:

1) Maneuverability is phenomenal with two props and a 16ft beam. I can walk the boat nearly sideways off a dock using both engines and the rudder wash from one.

2) Yes, redundancy. Things break. Less likely to break two of them at once, much less the same item. I am OCD about self-sufficiency - its a dark, dark disease....

3) I work on my own engines. I like working on engines. The "double the maintenance time" thing is a ridiculous argument to me - casually walking around two diminutive 54hp engines with all the room in the world and flipping open the impeller plates is MUCH better and faster than snaking my body into the cramped places that other boats cram 150-250hp engines with 2-3" inches of clearance all the way around. 50-75% of the time required for maintenance is getting all your crap out and then cleaning up afterwards anyway - it's certainly not double for doing two engines at the same time.

4) I think the cost thing is blown way out of proportion as well. I can get a raw water pump for $250 - a Lehman 120 pump is ~$450. My impellers are $19. The Lehmans and those bigger engines are $40+ or more. Don't even get me started on Cummins or CAT prices.... This is not really such a big decision point for me, but it is way overblown as an argument against....

5) The rest of the boat came with them.

Those are MY choices and opinions - yours could easily be different.

Last edited:
You can’t reduce fuel consumption by monitoring it. Doing that just says you’ve got the problem.

If we ever solved it all the threads and discussions and comments about fuel consumption would disappear. The obvious indicates most have boats too large but they continue to run them. And complain about the obvious.

Thank you, Boathealer, for both your answer, and for not taking afront to the question. Feathers sometimes get ruffled easily here, and I spent 15 minutes debating whether to delete the post. Your answer makes a lot of sense....well..most of it. The part about liking to work on engines seems a little odd, but I kind of get it. I'm sure there are many people in your marina that would be glad to let you maintain their engines if yours didn't fulfill your needs. Thanks again.

Thank you, Boathealer, for both your answer, and for not taking afront to the question. Feathers sometimes get ruffled easily here, and I spent 15 minutes debating whether to delete the post. Your answer makes a lot of sense....well..most of it. The part about liking to work on engines seems a little odd, but I kind of get it. I'm sure there are many people in your marina that would be glad to let you maintain their engines if yours didn't fulfill your needs. Thanks again.

LOL! I guess I should have said I like working on MY engines!:facepalm::facepalm:

That whole OCD thing again....

We are doing our best to burn about $6 K (assuming less than $3.75/gal) of fuel in the next few months. That is why we have the vessel. Even at that, it is not the majority of our planned annual boating expense. As B.B. said many posts ago, this is not a cheap hobby.

Engine maintenance? I prefer helping to support a professional mechanic and his family.

Engine maintenance? I prefer helping to support a professional mechanic and his family.

I'm sure we all would if we could all afford it. Unfortunately, if I didn't do my own I wouldn't be able to own a boat. Besides, I've taken great pride in what I've learned and been able to do thus far.

No need to limit yourself. I have decided to support the entire marine industry.
:)

No need to limit yourself. I have decided to support the entire marine industry.
:)

If I had the time to do "all" my own stuff on our Tolly - that exercise would enthrall me [well, not so much the septic work - that will always remain a preferred hire-out clause! LOL].

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending at how it's looked at, in order to keep our little boaty in preferred location for swimming and other play times it's 100 miles away. With family, personal advancements and business needs at our dirt-dwelling location there is seldom enough time to get to our boat for anything other than experiencing the much enjoyed fun R&R time.

So... Dan... I must admit that I too am a firm believer in and supporter of the entire marine industry. :facepalm: :dance: :thumb:

PS: Occasionally, during our R&R jaunts I do accomplish some of the more fun boat-work... but... nowhere near enough to place a dollar burden on the "marine industry". LOL

Back
Top Bottom