Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #41

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Just to keep this conversation going, here is a statement from a Florida tax collector site.

Documented Vessels

Vessel documentation is a national form of registration for vessels with a net weight of five tons or more. Vessels are documented by the Federal Government (U.S. Coast Guard) and not by individual states. These vessels are not titled in Florida.
A documented vessel must be registered in Florida, if used on Florida waters for longer than 90 days. The registration number will be the official federal documentation number and a decal will also be issued. The decal must be affixed to a window or the windshield on the port side of the vessel. The registration will be issued in the name shown on the federal documentation papers. Commercial vessels registered to a non-resident of Florida pay an additional fee of $50.00.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
Just to keep this conversation going, here is a statement from a Florida tax collector site.

Documented Vessels

The registration number will be the official federal documentation number and a decal will also be issued. The registration will be issued in the name shown on the federal documentation papers.0.
Which says that until you receive the documentation, you can't register it. So, I'd feel comfortable just carrying copies of the documentation application. Sure does put those intending to travel outside the US in a jam though.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #43
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
If/when the shutdown ends, do the employees who stayed at work get back pay?
It is not absolutely guaranteed, but there has never been a shutdown to date where federal employees (both those who continued working, and those who did not) did not eventually get all of their back pay.

My sister-in-law works in the federal court system. She is absolutely THRILLED about the shutdown, as are all of her co-workers, from what she has said. As far as she is concerned, this is just an extended, paid, Christmas vacation. She could not be happier.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #44
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
For what it's worth, I renewed my vessel documentation less than two weeks ago (online) and it arrived today.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #45
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
My sister-in-law works in the federal court system. She is absolutely THRILLED about the shutdown, as are all of her co-workers, from what she has said. As far as she is concerned, this is just an extended, paid, Christmas vacation. She could not be happier.
Your sister-in-law is in the minority! Neither I nor my daughter (we work for different Departments) nor ANY of our co-workers are happy to be furloughed. It is NOT an extended, paid, Christmas vacation! Furloughed employees are expected to be at (or near) their homes as they are expected to be back to work the morning after the shutdown ends. Employees not reporting back to work promptly are considered to be AWOL. Most of the furloughed employees I know are concerned about missing their paychecks.
Jim
Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Your sister-in-law is in the minority! Neither I nor my daughter (we work for different Departments) nor ANY of our co-workers are happy to be furloughed. It is NOT an extended, paid, Christmas vacation! Furloughed employees are expected to be at (or near) their homes as they are expected to be back to work the morning after the shutdown ends. Employees not reporting back to work promptly are considered to be AWOL. Most of the furloughed employees I know are concerned about missing their paychecks.
Jim

It has been a lot of years since I worked for wages. However, I can't imagine that if my manager told my employees that as of today the Boss has decided to stop paying them. However, they are still expected to show up for work because their work is important to the Boss and our clients. We don't know if the Boss will reimburse them for those days worked in the future.

I think that all the government employees, yes even the critical ones, should simply not show up for work.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #47

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
For what it's worth, I renewed my vessel documentation less than two weeks ago (online) and it arrived today.

I hope I'm that lucky, fingers crossed.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

I think that all the government employees, yes even the critical ones, should simply not show up for work.
Uh, most federal employees feel a duty to serve.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Jim
There are a lot of federal employees concerned about paying their rent or mortgage, making their car payments, buying food to feed their families. The human toll on a substantial number of people is very high and gets worse with each day.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #50
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It is not absolutely guaranteed, but there has never been a shutdown to date where federal employees (both those who continued working, and those who did not) did not eventually get all of their back pay.

That's if Congress votes to provide back pay. And how nice for your sister-in-law. Perhaps she is married to a still-working spouse? Obviously, she is positioned to be well able to go without a paycheck for an extended period of time. There are tens of thousands who are not. Plus, with this president there is no assurance that he will go along with paying for work not done.

Consider also all the folks who work for private contractors doing government work. For five years I worked for a consulting company supporting software development. When a shutdown occured we were forced to use up all our vacation time, then no pay. Yeah, government shut downs are just another vacation. Really.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #51
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
That's if Congress votes to provide back pay.
Which they ALWAYS do. There has never, to date, been a government shutdown where all of the furloughed workers did not eventually get all of their back pay. NEVER!

Quote:
And how nice for your sister-in-law. Perhaps she is married to a still-working spouse?
No, she is the sole wage-earner for her family. They live within their means, and they have a bit of savings set aside. I'll probably get flamed for saying this -- as living beyond your means seems to be the accepted norm these days -- but anyone who can't go a month or two without a paycheck needs to take a serious look at their lifestyle. Federal employees don't earn the lavish paychecks that some people seem to think they do, but they certainly earn enough to be able to save a bit for a rainy day.

Quote:
When a shutdown occured we were forced to use up all our vacation time, then no pay.
And when the economy tanked in 2008 I got laid off right before Christmas. It happens. Especially if you work for a government contractor, this is something that you should expect, and be prepared for.

Again, I'll probably get flamed, but... It kind of amazes me how little sympathy we tend to have for those who take their boats out to sea without proper plans and preparation. Yet we virtually demand that people make no preparations or plans for rough economic seas. Putting aside a little savings is no different than having a life jacket handy when it's needed. It's the prudent thing to do.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #52
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
You won't get any sympathy from half of the people with earnings in the country. They would tell you: "Welcome to my world." Poverty is a perpetual condition for them.

Ask a single mom working for a typical outlet of a Wall Street controlled virtual monopoly. She would most likely tell you to lay off the rest of government. Better yet, outsource the government and bring back industry.

I previously posted a link to the chart at SSA.gov or whatever the address is.

Over the holidays I watched a PBS documentary about Dayton, OH. Ask anyone in West Dayton. Effectively, they have all been laid off since about 1980, decades.

Shutdown is about a bunch of really silly, spoiled millionaires and billionaires who specialize in sucking the life out of this country. Now, guess how the president got elected.

I am sure all of the good people of the country hope any delay in your boat documentation is not an inconvenience to you.

Closed Thread