Old 06-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Gorgeous Princess could be a deal!

Well, its no trawler but still looks pretty nice. And the price could be a great deal!

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...ess-p57/248370

But. Its been sitting in a shed for 8 years. Undercover but in a hot humid climate. Apparently it was a Police seizure (proceeds of crime or something) and now the court processes have been finalised the boat is for sale. It was likely 'rode hard and put away wet' as the saying goes. Just parked in the shed and locked up back in 2012.

Since its an auction its 'as is, where is' sale terms. No survey reports or sea trial available or possible.

To me the crux is: what are a pair of Volvo D12's going to be like now? Assume no fogging, no blocking of air intakes. So possible rust in inlet side of turbo and I would guess at least one valve was open so 1 or more cylinders could also have rust. But is this a big deal? Remove air cleaner and injectors, squirt in some lubricant, manually turn engine over a day or two later. Then fire up. No? Anyone have experience with this kind of engine situation?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Can't help with the engine questions.

Read the post, went to the link thinking this boat was going to look like crap after being on the hard and not maintained for 8 years. On the contrary, it looks like a VERY nice boat!

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
That is, or was a nice boat. There is NO WAY I would even consider it at half of that listed price. Engines or at least turbos would need a lot of work, expensive work. Fuel must be drained, all electronics are obsolete, batteries replaced, mold abatement. all soft surfaces probably need replacing. The list goes on and on into BIG boating bucks!

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
That is, or was a nice boat. There is NO WAY I would even consider it at half of that listed price. Engines or at least turbos would need a lot of work, expensive work. Fuel must be drained, all electronics are obsolete, batteries replaced, mold abatement. all soft surfaces probably need replacing. The list goes on and on into BIG boating bucks!

pete
An Euro styling
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
An Euro styling
Inside styling looks similar to Maritimo, another good quality Aussi brand. If those pictures are recent, in VG condition. Take your mechanic and have the engines checked out. Likely as clean inside as out (recent pictures presumed).
Old 06-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
looked very nice until i noticed the bubbling wall covering on the left side of the PIX showing the stairs. Then several cans with blue tops of deodorant or damp rid.

Would have to see it .
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Its the engines that are the big deal as you have surmised. An unused engine(s) is not a good thing. The one plus going for this boat is I presume it has been on the hard all this time, covered. I would confirm this. If I were to purchase this boat, before it even hit the water I'd have a rebuild carried out. New hoses, belts, etc and all tanks drained, cleaned and some of them purified.

A good friend of mine bought a Bayliner 3888 that had sank for whatever reason and he purchased after the sinking. He did put a fair bit of money into but ended up with a very nice vessel that has gone on 15 + years serving him well.

The question you need to ask yourself is do I have serious money set aside to rehabilitate this vessel. If the purchase price is taking you to the tippy toes of your financial existence, then don't get it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
Cleaning the tanks is important. But before doing any engine work. Bar them over to make sure they are free then see how they run. Cranking a bit with fuel off will move oil up a bit.
Probably need new batteries but try charging what's there. what you wan is a running test, and a sea trial to see where you are.

I wouldn't be surprised if the engines are fine but replacing stuff before you know doesn't make sense to me.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I wouldn't consider it at more than $100,000 and even then would have to see it first. You mentioned potential engine issues and you could have similar with all equipment. In addition, I know many Princess's in which the boat has aged very poorly, including one taken about a year ago to Central America and now experiencing cracks in it's Gelcoat. Princess's have been notorious for leaks and for issues developing with interiors.

I think of the outdated electronics and then thrusters and hydraulics. Refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washing machine, I'd think major issues. No sign of stabilizers and it definitely needs them.

Upon inspection, it might surprise, but my initial thoughts are that if you don't own a yard, you don't want it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #10
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Its the engines that are the big deal as you have surmised. An unused engine(s) is not a good thing. The one plus going for this boat is I presume it has been on the hard all this time, covered. I would confirm this. If I were to purchase this boat, before it even hit the water I'd have a rebuild carried out. New hoses, belts, etc and all tanks drained, cleaned and some of them purified.

A good friend of mine bought a Bayliner 3888 that had sank for whatever reason and he purchased after the sinking. He did put a fair bit of money into but ended up with a very nice vessel that has gone on 15 + years serving him well.

The question you need to ask yourself is do I have serious money set aside to rehabilitate this vessel. If the purchase price is taking you to the tippy toes of your financial existence, then don't get it.
All excellent points.

I think everyone would presume that the boat will need some serious dollars for a refit. The million dollar question then becomes is the boat worth the money asked?

The boat is listed at $175,000 U.S. and similar vessels on Yachtworld are listing in the $400,000 U.S. ballpark.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
I'm less skeptical about the interior condition but have other concerns. Could be just the camera angle but looks like ZERO outboard access to either engine. That and the Volvo's ruin it for me. No easy solutions to those problems.
BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #12

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I wouldn't consider it at more than $100,000 and even then would have to see it first. You mentioned potential engine issues and you could have similar with all equipment. In addition, I know many Princess's in which the boat has aged very poorly, including one taken about a year ago to Central America and now experiencing cracks in it's Gelcoat. Princess's have been notorious for leaks and for issues developing with interiors.

I think of the outdated electronics and then thrusters and hydraulics. Refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washing machine, I'd think major issues. No sign of stabilizers and it definitely needs them.

Upon inspection, it might surprise, but my initial thoughts are that if you don't own a yard, you don't want it.
It wasn't just Princess with the interior problems, most of the U.K. built boats had issues with "sagging" interior linings. Very evident with humidity changes.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
An Euro styling
David Pascoe called them bubble boats, although I'm not so sure the design of the newest offerings are that appealing either
Old 06-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
..........The one plus going for this boat is I presume it has been on the hard all this time, covered. I would confirm this.
I would think more placed in the shed as a photo op, given the length of time on the hard as a seized asset. Otherwise the $250K would be likely to just cover the storage over the eight year lay-up.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Yes, lots of potential problems in addition to what's obvious in the pics.

Part of the issue in considering it is that the broker is saying inspections will be limited to 10 minutes due to demand. Not even enough time for 'tyre kicking' or the marine equivalent!

Its an online auction. Normally all the action for those is in the last 30 minutes. This auction still has 15 days to go, and already has 52 bids! Sales people often say you don't sell houses (or cars, or boats) - you sell dreams! And in this case there seem to be quite a few dreamers around it already. The broker initially predicted in the $A100-200k range. Its already at A$226k!

My guess is that by the time its sold, and the new owner gets all the required work done it will be at least around the US$ value mentioned in post #10. That would be A$600k. If you get lucky.

Oh, and unless you are already in Queensland, then due to covid border closure for folks from other States, there is a 14 day quarantine period for entry in order to get your 10 minute inspection. So its basically selling sight-unseen to someone with a bank account full of lazy play-money, or a naive dreamer. I'm neither. I am registered to bid, but will not be bidding unless someone wants me to bid for them and wires me the money in advance! On the plus side, its only a 45 minute drive for me to go kick the tyres, or whatever!
Old 06-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
It wasn't just Princess with the interior problems, most of the U.K. built boats had issues with "sagging" interior linings. Very evident with humidity changes.
You're right in that the conditions appear far more exacerbated when sold in Florida and in Central America versus sold in New England or on the Great Lakes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
David Pascoe called them bubble boats, although I'm not so sure the design of the newest offerings are that appealing either
David also said just about every production boat would rot, delaminate, set on fire, and sink. I just didn’t see it.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
looked very nice until i noticed the bubbling wall covering on the left side of the PIX showing the stairs. Then several cans with blue tops of deodorant or damp rid.

Would have to see it .
Plus it looks like some of the glassware is missing.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #19

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Volvos would scotch the deal for me. Every boat-owning friend I have that has owned a boat with Volvos has proclaimed he/she would never buy another boat with Volvos. BTW, I have never heard that sentiment re: any other manufacturer (Cummins, MAN, Ford/Lehman, John Deere, etc.).
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #20
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
And its all the above , mostly unfounded fears that lets others pick up boats for next to nought and for that I thank you.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote