Goodbye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us something that interests me, you custom trawler, please.
We all like to brag about our boats.
Tell us about the short comings and how you have and will improve your boat.
I am sure your description and picture will interest most, some, especially me.

Beat me to it!

I am sure this is all joke and just a smart way to trigger some love post and get flattered! :)

L
I`d refine it to fishing for compliments, and for support against the perceived antagonist.Taking on the Site Team? Slamming the door on the way out?:popcorn:

Last edited:
11/53 Great Lakes NTC

OMG, Moby was embryonic. You are still with us?? :)

My hat's off to you and my sword in salute. I was aged 6.5.:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

I have been on this site for 7 or so years and have posted, well, enough. I am getting censored and ignored which is a huge waste of my time so I have decided to bail for a while, or permanently. My posts are part of the record so if I ever said anything useful you can read it with a search.

TTFN

I am a pretty new member but have reviewed this forum as a guest for several years.I have always found your comments informative, sometimes with a little bit of salt attached, but even then, they put a grin on my face. I am saddened you feel your time here has been a waste of time, it appears the 10k plus visits to your public profile disagree with you. I hope you will reconsider, I for one will miss your candor and knowledge but will respect your decision.

I`d refine it to fishing for compliments, and for support against the perceived antagonist.Taking on the Site Team? Slamming the door on the way out?:popcorn:

Yes, censored, he says. It happens when you can't follow the rules. It's typically when one introduces politics. You break the rules, then you blast the moderators whose job it is to enforce them. That's like driving 75 mph in a 55 zone and blasting the law enforcement officer who stops you and just gives you a warning.

I don't always agree with the moderators but I do respect their roles and accept their decisions. I hope he's enjoying his feeling that he's getting in the final shot but I can't imagine this site without the moderators. I've been a member at different times on several sports sites and some were very loosely moderated. They soon were no longer about sports but were about politics and attacking various groups of people whether races or ethnicity or sexual or political or even financial statuses.

Sorry he's choosing to leave but wish he'd chosen to do so in a different way. I didn't like things the owner of another board was doing one time and so just stopped posting for a couple of months. The issue was corrected and I returned.

It should never be a chore to contribute to a forum. If you're not getting a sense of satisfaction from your postings, perhaps a break from the forum instead of chucking it all might be worth considering?

I am active on another forum, which has nothing to do with boating. I had reached a point that after about 12 years, I wasn't enjoying that forum. Took a break for about six months, and then got back into it. I started enjoying said forum again!

Jim

So a question for the two of you (left a forum for a while then went back).

Did the forum change or did you change?

Yes, censored, he says. It happens when you can't follow the rules. It's typically when one introduces politics. You break the rules, then you blast the moderators whose job it is to enforce them. That's like driving 75 mph in a 55 zone and blasting the law enforcement officer who stops you and just gives you a warning.

That's about how I see it. The rules aren't a secret. Being on the forum is in essence an agreement to accept the rules. Sometimes you get away with an infraction; sometimes you get your wrist slapped. Get over it and move to an other thread, or don't.

Ted

That's about how I see it. The rules aren't a secret. Being on the forum is in essence an agreement to accept the rules. Sometimes you get away with an infraction; sometimes you get your wrist slapped. Get over it and move to an other thread, or don't.

Ted

And be thankful if all you got was your hand slapped. I got my arse kicked a few times! :D

So a question for the two of you (left a forum for a while then went back).

Did the forum change or did you change?

The forum changed in my case. The owner dealt with the problem that I'd attempted to get him to deal with as the person who was most attacking others decided to then attack and threaten him. I don't think until then he really grasped what was going on and how serious it was. Thing is, I couldn't push him to act, but I just stopped posting and didn't burn bridges. The problem then resolved itself.

I did miss the forum and was hoping I'd find a time I'd be comfortable to return. I wanted to return badly, but circumstances just weren't right for it for a while.

We have friends who quietly left TF and wish they would return. We know the reasons but they've never posted anything about them or negative on the forum. Rest assured if certain discussions weren't moderated and limited, far more people would leave here. Unchecked certain trends start to permeate a forum. Unfortunately, while I think the issues that led those I know to leave were mostly resolved, they found they could get along fine without the forum and no encouragement would bring them back. We, the TF members, miss them more than they miss us and that goes for members who never knew them, but miss out on their boating knowledge.

Ted

A lot of the time it's the excuse of "he did it first" as one person crossed the line so another responds and crosses and even a third or fourth follows suit. Often in the midst of a good constructive discussion, someone decides to test the rules and moderators. The next person decides to top them. The moderators let a couple of posts slide so it worsens, then they must restore order.

:rofl:

Attachments

• Moderator.jpg
    Moderator.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 57

I recently had to explain to someone whose first language isn't English the reason his post had been removed. He was unaware that certain words have entirely different meanings in the US, UK, and Australia. Others were also unaware and thought he meant to make an obscene post when he didn't.

I recently had to explain to someone whose first language isn't English the reason his post had been removed. He was unaware that certain words have entirely different meanings in the US, UK, and Australia. Others were also unaware and thought he meant to make an obscene post when he didn't.
Same applies to french and french from Quebec, believe me I know what I am talking about lol :)

L

Yep, try posting "you smacked her on the fanny" on the UK version of this forum and see what happens.

Oh, wait! :D

Same applies to french and french from Quebec, believe me I know what I am talking about lol :)

L

Wifey B: In Quebec City, we had a really super cool waitress who was from France and going to school in Canada, but off for the summer. She said she nearly got fired her first day on the job for something she said and had no idea of it's usage there. :)

One of the girls with us, who speaks French, heard someone in Quebec using words associated with the church as curse words and that shocked us. :blush:

And be thankful if all you got was your hand slapped. I got my arse kicked a few times! :D
Never got my hand slapped. Just an occasional disappearing post. Unlike you, I try not to test the limits. Think you make a contest out of it. :rolleyes:

Ted

I love it when you talk dirty to us! :D

Wifey B: And, are euphemisms somehow less dirty than using the word? I know a girl who says "Fudge" a lot. Of course we know the word she's thinking. "Crap" is one. "Freaking." Even, "Screw" although think it's become considered bad. "Gosh darn" and everyone knows what it's meant to copy. So, if we take one of the seven words or others and use something else close in their place, does that mean we're not swearing or being obscene?

Then some I just don't understand. I understand how the S word became a bad word. It is one in all ways. But don't understand how the F word did? In fact, the etymology of it is unknown. There are some false etymologies. That's both the etymology of the word and of it becoming a vulgar or swear word. Just seems to me it should be a good word. :confused:

I remember teachers telling us, "We don't use that word, we say 'darn'" and me wondering what that changes.:eek:

It's almost like one has to know multiple languages. I talk one way in the classroom, one way in public, and a third way with my hubby or my girlfriends. :rofl:

L

You also have to be careful with translation apps. My wife and I were in a Paris shop buying a gift for our host. I spoke “will you deliver?” into the app, got the French translation and said it to the pretty young clerk. She responded with a shocked “Monsieur?!?” I foolishly doubled down and repeated it and she said, “Monsieur, you just asked me if I will give birth!” Amazing how fast that got around the store.

You also have to be careful with translation apps. My wife and I were in a Paris shop buying a gift for our host. I spoke “will you deliver?” into the app, got the French translation and said it to the pretty young clerk. She responded with a shocked “Monsieur?!?” I foolishly doubled down and repeated it and she said, “Monsieur, you just asked me if I will give birth!” Amazing how fast that got around the store.
Jeez how did you dare!! I am shocked! Lol :)

L

Never got my hand slapped. Just an occasional disappearing post. Unlike you, I try not to test the limits. Think you make a contest out of it. :rolleyes:

Ted

Moi?

Mais non!

Ken:

Thanks for your contributions over the years. You have exhibited all that is good here, knowledge, humour, experience. This site will be less without you.

+1

I don't always agree with the moderators but I do respect their roles and accept their decisions. I hope he's enjoying his feeling that he's getting in the final shot but I can't imagine this site without the moderators. I've been a member at different times on several sports sites and some were very loosely moderated. They soon were no longer about sports but were about politics and attacking various groups of people whether races or ethnicity or sexual or political or even financial statuses.

Sorry he's choosing to leave but wish he'd chosen to do so in a different way. I didn't like things the owner of another board was doing one time and so just stopped posting for a couple of months. The issue was corrected and I returned.

As You know, but for folks that do not know...

Every moderator here on TF is a volunteer boater/member. Moderators are invited to help out with running the forum based on their history of reasonable postings.

Decisions to take moderation action are group decisions, where every moderator gets to weigh in on every issue.

If someone gets his or her posts moderated or “censored” it is never a single persons decision. That keeps it in my opinion as a former moderator here very fair and impartial.

Basically the folks on your moderation team are your fellow boaters, and should be applauded for the free labor hours that put into keeping this forum as good as it is.

....Every moderator here on TF is a volunteer boater/member. Moderators are invited to help out with running the forum based on their history of reasonable postings.

Decisions to take moderation action are group decisions, where every moderator gets to weigh in on every issue.

If someone gets his or her posts moderated or “censored” it is never a single persons decision. That keeps it in my opinion as a former moderator here very fair and impartial.

Basically the folks on your moderation team are your fellow boaters, and should be applauded for the free labor hours that put into keeping this forum as good as it is.
As another past Moderator, I echo what Kevin has said. The Site Team are well aware of the thread, indicated by its relocation. In my time the Team thought long and hard and expended considerable time on the difficult decisions.
Moderation is not discussed so rarely does the Team disclose actions and reasons.Suffice to say there is much work behind the scenes to keep TF running smoothly, and in most cases, happily.

Agree. Many thanks to the moderators for maintaining this forum as a great resource. It is polite, civil, and informative. Might be a few snarky remarks thrown in but compared to some other forums I occasionally read...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom