Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #81
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
This thread has brought out into view what normally just fades away. Members that just leave and stop posting for the same reasons as presented. Out of sight, out of mind.
Many like myself are expressing a sad goodbye to a poster that has an opinion worth reading whether we agree or not.
Now it seems that those responsible for this departure are exercising their right to support their actions in herding the member they do not agree with to the door.
Several condescending replies that the moderators should be censoring. XSbank is showing excellent restraint.
As stated it is a job done for free and at times allowed to continue well beyond the expiry date.
I sure hope mine come didn't off that way. If it did, I apologize.

I've enjoyed XSbank's postings (which I always remembered because of his clever avatar!). I'm sorry he's feels he needs a break, but I understand that, myself. I ebb and flow here as well.

But, I don't know of anyone here (or at least I can't think of any) I would not want to sit and have a beer with. I figure just liking boats at all, makes me have more in common with the people here, than I have with 99 per cent of the rest of the world.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #82
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, I’m sorry to see you’re going, Xbank, but wherever you go, you’ll likely find people who are occasionally “inspired” or “provoked” by your posts. Either is food for thought, and at best, are only an attitude away from each other.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #83
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Many thanks to all former and current moderators.
All right now, let's not be going overboard here!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #84
Guru

City: Trenton
Your goodbye is one of your most popular posts.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #85
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So a question for the two of you (left a forum for a while then went back).

Did the forum change or did you change?
In my case it was some of both, but mostly the forum.

Said forum created a sub-forum that dealt specifically with my niche segment of the hobby. It was a sub-forum that several members of the forum (including myself) had asked for.

I was very excited with the creation of the sub-forum. I made one of the earliest posts on the sub-forum (with pictures) only to have my post be deleted by the forum moderator. I didn't break any of the posted forum rules. When I asked why my post was deleted, I was told that my way of enjoying the hobby was not what he had in mind for this sub-forum. I was livid to be told that I wasn't doing it 'right'!

I was very cordial, but I left a post why I was leaving the forum and I did received several supporting posts from other forum members.

I did leave that forum for about 6 months, although I still enjoyed the hobby.

Interestingly, during my absence, posts to the sub-forum, like my initial one, became 'acceptable' on this sub-forum. Also, my initial anger at the moderator subsided, and I started to read, and post, on that forum again.

Jim
Old 01-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #86
Guru

I get bored with this forum from time to time, and I imagine others do as well.
I just don't go into the threads, or if answers are already giving MY opinion, I choose to stay out.
I know sometimes others totally disagree, but so what? That's life. If they want to do it wrong so be it.
Only kidding on that.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #87
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
SMILE
Sometimes I too get bored with various forums. Some people just like to beat a dead horse. So I unsubscribe to them quietly.
I always "like" the forums that begin with "What should I buy....." The responses are usually based on opinions, not facts. They dont remain on my subscribe list long.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #88
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
My invite must have been lost in the interwebs somewhere then!
Seeing as they`ve been kicking your butt you might not be 1st choice. On the other hand you`d have good experience of transgression,which helps. How about offering yourself to the Site Team?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #89

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Time flies!

I got here a year later and it feels like I just got here.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
XSBank, I hope you stick around as I have enjoyed your posts.

And for those who care, I have an early join date and a low post count -- call me a lurker if you will!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #91

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I have been on this site for 7 or so years and have posted, well, enough. I am getting censored and ignored which is a huge waste of my time so I have decided to bail for a while, or permanently. My posts are part of the record so if I ever said anything useful you can read it with a search.

TTFN
Heck I don't know which is perceived to be worse, being censored or being ignored. But that rarely if ever bothered me.
Either way its just an online forum which is full of opinions anyway. So thankfully for me I can take it or leave it. Life is too short to let time wasting minutes on the net get to me. Taking a break has proven to be good for the soul.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #92
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
goodbye hope you find something you enjoy more . I have enjoyed some of your posts and you have given me answers and/or ideas to some of my problems.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #93
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I'm a basketball fanatic. Players object to fouls all the time. Don't like what the referee calls. Timmy Duncan, in his mind, never committed a foul in his 20 year career. Now with most players, they recognize the majority of the fouls called by the referees to be right and they only object to a few. Fine to argue briefly. Say too much and you get a technical foul. Go further and you're gone.

The point is no one will agree with all the moderator calls. Some will think they're always wrong as they feel they, themselves, can do no wrong. But we all have to accept and show respect. Fine to mumble under your breath or even curse at your computer. Moderators either contribute greatly or they're necessary evils. Either way we have to respect them.

Most of the time when we all post we believe we're inside the rules. Sometimes we know it's borderline but want to edge a bit. Other times we may know it's wrong and just be testing. What are the odds we'll agree with the mods when they tell us we're wrong? About the same as when a referee called a foul on Timmy. He was so incredible at this incredulous look.

Here are all his technical fouls and ejections. The all time fave is when Joey Crawford ejected him for laughing on the bench. Omg, I forgot Popovich was once young.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #94
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
This is a really interesting thread for me. I have moderated the Willard Boat Owners group for over 20-years .(almost 1000 members, though vast majority are lurkers). Except for banning a few obvious spammers, I have never moderated a post. We have over 20,000 posts over the years, though has slowed up over the last few years. We have some backup moderators, but for the most part, I've been at it so long that I'm the main guy (changing now - time for fresh blood).

As a moderator, I simply cannot imagine imposing my opinion, though I must observe that we are pretty tame. Heated discussions center around topics like blisters and stabilization. Tough to go too far afield, but you'd have to go way over a line to get censored from me. When someone gets a bit our of line, the group seems to self police - no need for a ham fisted moderator.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #95
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm a basketball fanatic. Players object to fouls all the time.
For some reason my 5' 7" kiddo was pretty vocal as well. Don't know why she felt she had to over-impose herself on the AAU.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Photo 1 With Text.jpg   TeamPhotoText2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #96
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Quote:
So a question for the two of you (left a forum for a while then went back).

Did the forum change or did you change?

Probably missed the adrenaline rush these forums (and Facebook) often elicit. I found you just have to not take them too personally- and if I did, was probably partially also it’s cause.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 PM   #97

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
sorry to see you go. Hope you come back. BUT...if you do..leave the little photo thing on your signature home. Can't STAND that guy.
"Satisfaction"
Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 AM   #98
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
How long does it take to say "good bye."
Old 01-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
sorry to see you go. Hope you come back. BUT...if you do..leave the little photo thing on your signature home. Can't STAND that guy.
I agree, that photo was not the most pleasant to view.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
How long does it take to say "good bye."
I do believe there is a Grocho Marx (SP?) routine about saying good bye.