Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Good news for trawler sales?

Quote:
Baker wrote:

A good survey will reflect true market value. So no surprise there.
I often wonder about that.* How many times have you seen a boat for sale, and the listing said something like* "Surveyed at $$$" but the asking price is far less.* It would be interesting to know how many folks have sold boats for near the survey value.* My guess is that most do not.........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #22

City: South Puget Sound, WA

My surveyor knew what I was paying and surveyed it for 40% more.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #23

City: NC
Vessel Name: The Blue Comet
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs/ NT32

Yes, my boat is a Mainship 400.* Her name is Juniata (pronounced June-eee-ahh-tah)* It's the name of a little river in central Pennsylvania that flows into the Susquehanna and, eventually, Chesapeake Bay.
Just finished doing my own winterizing, except for the shrink wrap.* She's sleeping in the water this year, a first for me.* So far so good, but last weeks windstorms destroyed two nearly new Taylor 10x30 fenders.

It was 21 degrees in the NYC area this morning.* Little to do except think of boat shows and better boating days to come.

Love City Island, great boating location.*

ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

*The notion that this is a "good" thing seems to be rampant in this industry and it really bugs me.* In real estate I have always ignored the sales droids, paid for a real appraisal and handled the transactions myself unless I was forced to deal with a sales droid by the vendor.* In the boating world it appears to me that genuine appraisals simply don't exist.* It appears there are some surveyors who will provide some level of insight into the mechanical and marine condition of a vessel although the level of insight seems to be widely variable.* As far as value is concerned though it's strictly caveat emptor.* We just purchased a boat and the survey came in at exactly what we paid for the vessel.* There's a surprise - right down to the decimal we paid the exact correct amount.* <sarcasm mode ON> I guess we did good.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:

Makes it easier to get the bank to finance it.
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Budds Outlet wrote:

And that right there is what it is all about. *However, a good surveyor will NOT ask you what you are paying for the boat so that they can try and be as objective as possible. *Depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on though, you may or may not want them to be entirely "objective."
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #27

Old Stone:
I used to be in Liberty Harbor, which was nicely protected, but now I'm further north and very exposed to river wakes.* Thanks for the tip on the fenders, but these were not destroyed by Taylor's manufacturing defect.* They were ripped apart by a combination of rotted wood on the finger piers which no longer supports the horizontal rubber molding and 17 tons of boat being repeatedly shoved into the pier.* I have five lines out, and even ripped a cleat from the not-too-sound wood.* I've put out my spare fenders and will follow your good advice on checking as often as I can.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Considering that the surveyor is an "employee" of the buyer, I would expect him/her to give me the verbal news good or bad, and then produce their report to*protect my interest in the transaction.

Woodsong wrote:

skipperdude wrote:
And that right there is what it is all about. *However, a good surveyor will NOT ask you what you are paying for the boat so that they can try and be as objective as possible. *Depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on though, you may or may not want them to be entirely "objective."