Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Good news!

Not to minimize the current challenges, but, ever the optimist, what are the silver linings? I bet there are a few. What have you found?

The sky over Tampa Bay is as clear as I have ever seen it. In the past, on a "very clear day" we could see the hazy taller buildings of Tampa from our St Pete marina. Now, every day, we can see the outline of trees on the opposite shore, ~8 mi.

Without taking sides in the battle, air pollution reduction proponents talk about a hypothetical benefit, today we can actually see a tangible difference. I like it!

What are some other silver linings?
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
For sure, one benefit is the absence of road noise and seasonal back-ups here on Longboat Key for the last month, not that we are going anywhere. Small shore birds like sandpipers were nearly gone after Irma, but are back in increasing numbers now. Pelican nests are busy. Great idea, this thread...focus on the positive!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
For us, it’s having—or taking—the time to savor life. We feel horrible for the people who are being affected by this. At the same time, we are not missing the constant on-the-go mentality that we picked up during our careers and which somehow continued to be our way of life in retirement. We live on nine acres and our property backs on thousands of acres of wilderness, so isolating is easy.

We miss not seeing our son, daughter-in-law and friends terribly but we do have some hikes planned, with appropriate distancing. Except for that, we’re enjoying the peace and quiet, our connection with nature—it’s a glorious spring day here—and having fun with projects, including the boating kind, that we’ve been putting off. We’re also reading more and catching up on movies and extended series we’ve been meaning to watch. I feel guilty for even thinking this way but the good news for us is that we’re mostly enjoying this period of enforced settling.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
We have noticed the same things here in Citrus county west central Florida. Very quiet, Best am and pm walking. Yesterday a pair of Sand Hill cranes walked thru our backyard showing off their new off spring, we had never seen a baby crane before. Also when we’ve had to drive some where the drivers even seem more civilized.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I feel guilty for even thinking this way but the good news for us is that we’re mostly enjoying this period of enforced settling.
I didn’t want to admit that, but the same is true for us. Great share.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
My elderly dog is getting more and more separation anxiety as time goes on. It breaks my heart when I check her on the security cameras and she's barking. Now she has both of us home all day long!
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The water seems extra clean at the moment, too.
Here's a video taken a couple days ago of dolphins in super-clear water.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

City: Washington
My work commute is short. Just down the hall. Normally, it is a plane back and forth from Seattle to Los Angeles every week. I haven't been at home this much in ten years.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Gasoline at less than $1.50 a gallon and diesel is following suit.

My money is lasting longer, (what I have left after the stock market mess). I don't shop, spend or go anywhere.

In about 9 months guns are going to be very cheap.

I'm getting my freezer and pantry cleaned out.

It's been a good season for maple sap and syrup.

The government is giving the Admiral and I a couple thousand dollars to spend on the boat.

The pace of life, at least in Northern Wisconsin has really slowed down.

The cruise industry has taken a serious "whack" . Good riddance, I say.

Should I go on?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gasoline taxes here are 76.7 cents a gallon. No chance of $2 gasoline here.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Gas is $1.67 at the street pumps here.

I would say other good news is that everyone's bank balances should be getting healthy - there is no where to spend money!

Also we usually eat out for lunch five times a week and at least three dinners. No more. So even though we may be snacking more, we are losing weight.

Video off our home dock this morning when I was doing some bright work maintenance!

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #12

City: St Petersburg
Vessel Name: Knot Fast
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
I was due for a trim about when the barber shops closed down. I was starting to look very shaggy, like one of those old guys with wild hair and beard you see living on a poorly maintained sailboat boat without a mast...
Amazon delivered the trimmer today and the girlfriend cut my hair with a 1/2" clip on the swim platform. She said I look 10 years younger, and I saved $18!
I told her she was next.
Boy, is that not happening!
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Our daughter is back from college early. Nice to have her back in the nest. Sucks for her, having classes online and no more labs, missing friends, etc, but she recognizes the insignificance of her 'problems' in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Fast View Post
I was starting to look very shaggy, like one of those old guys with wild hair and beard you see living on a poorly maintained sailboat boat without a mast...
Heck, I look that way AFTER a fresh haircut. Now, I look more like Nick Nolte’s drunken mugshot, and when the Admiral & I were walking on the beach this morning, I noticed people were maintaining a lot more than the suggested social distance.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #15

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Gasoline at less than $1.50 a gallon and diesel is following suit.

My money is lasting longer, (what I have left after the stock market mess). I don't shop, spend or go anywhere.

In about 9 months guns are going to be very cheap.

I'm getting my freezer and pantry cleaned out.

It's been a good season for maple sap and syrup.

The government is giving the Admiral and I a couple thousand dollars to spend on the boat.

The pace of life, at least in Northern Wisconsin has really slowed down.

The cruise industry has taken a serious "whack" . Good riddance, I say.

Should I go on?

pete
Yeah go on............
tell me about the cheaper guns .........so that's good ?
song-'bali waters' from film-'morning of the earth'
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Coral Gables
Here on the Florida South East coast the Virgin Trains (aka first known as Florida All Aboard, then Brightline) that has struck and killed over 50 people since its inauguration four years ago running (mostly empty) between Miami and West Palm Beach has shut down. They let go all their employees. I’m guessing Richard Branson will want us to bail him out, the same as he’s wanting GB to bailout his airline and Cruise Ship while he lives on his tax haven private island in the BVI’s. Their press release said they still had employees still working on laying new tracks between West Palm Beach and Orlando, but all the workers disappeared along with their equipment in St.Lucie County on Tuesday..So that’s good. Good in that if so many citizens were killed in just 74 miles, imagine another 190 miles. And all the freight trains carrying double stacked containers with crap from China on the Florida East Coast RR tracks (owned by a Mexican company)have also disappeared, so no longer do we hear super sonic loud train horns from miles away all night long.
Cruise ships are no longer coming and going from Port Canaveral so the UAE Company who has a 30 year lease on it, aren’t profiting from us infidels.
The traffic is very light on the Interstate and Turnpike.
It’s quieter, which is nice.
Oh, according to paramedics I know- they’re no longer having calls to revive junkies 24/7 like they did before this virus business which is rather odd. I called an ex junkie I know and inquired, and he said “either the dealers aren’t selling or” then told me “when I used I never got sick, except when I quit, it’s like the immune system kills everything else”. I said “it must be like all winos having full heads of hair?”. He asked. “What’s a wino?”.. I explained to him that cities used to be full of them.
Captain Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:14 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Many years ago around this time the mullet were so thick in the cove behind our house, it felt like we could walk on on water across the thick schools of mullet. Haven't seen that in over 20 years.

This morning the largest school of mullet I've seen since 1999 showed up. I stood on our dock in absolute wonder.

Don't get me wrong, we own an old 1959 one-story typical old-Florida house on an old canal system built on top of wetlands. We are not financially wealthy, but we are incredibly wealthy in the things that matter.

The other thing that has been reinforced this past week is how imperative is is to treat all of our neighbors, friends and fellow citizens with kindness. Especially our friends in the healthcare system, grocery systems, law enforcement and utilities.

Best Regards,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #18
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
No one I love is sick with this.

I'm finally slowing down. Since retirement I've just kept going full speed ahead like I did all my working life.

The govt is sending me some $$$ which I'll give to someone who really needs it. So many put out of work by the stay at home orders.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #19
Guru

City: .
Marshall Burke (mburke@stanford.edu) is Assistant Professor in the Department of Earth System Science at Stanford University.
Writing on the website G-Feed he said: "The reductions in air pollution in China caused by this economic disruption likely saved twenty times more lives in China than have currently been lost due to infection with the virus in that country".

G-FEED: COVID-19 reduces economic activity, which reduces pollution, which saves lives.
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Marshall Burke (mburke@stanford.edu) is Assistant Professor in the Department of Earth System Science at Stanford University.
Writing on the website G-Feed he said: "The reductions in air pollution in China caused by this economic disruption likely saved twenty times more lives in China than have currently been lost due to infection with the virus in that country".

G-FEED: COVID-19 reduces economic activity, which reduces pollution, which saves lives.
Disturbing to see a Ph.D using terms such as "likely...twenty times more,"

Facts and data are what are required now, not guesses.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote