Good news!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AKDoug...wish I was there for Sockeye season (well at least up towards Kodiak.. :) ).

Guess the Cruise ships might not come or may be pretty empty.... all those cruise ship foes are whistling dixie now....

I think it is more honest to say likely since verifiable numbers for China are so hard to come by.
Even in USA hard to figure out how accurate CV numbers are. For instance from what I can figure out if someone dies with all the symptoms of CV but without getting a CV test then they did not die of CV. On other hand if you were at deaths door from other causes and die after getting a positive CV test then you died of CV.
Saw on news that the number of people dying at home in NYC is much greater than normal. Wonder how many of them died of CV. And if samples were taken to test after crisis.
That is just the most obvious problem I have heard of with the data.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the idea of placing hearts in the windows started in either Prince George, BC or Nanaimo, BC last month and has gone fairly viral. See them in almost every window around town.

But someone here has taken up painting hearts on small rocks and has them scattered all over town. Even found one out on a hiking trail a few kilometers away from the trail head.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_192703-COLLAGE.jpg
    IMG_20200329_192703-COLLAGE.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 32
So glad to see the mortality estimates coming way down :thumb: I have about 28 apt's that are thankfully full now. Sent them all an email about two weeks ago and told them to let me know if they were going to lose income, and that I would be glad to help. Only one so far - manager at a nice restaurant - told her not to worry about rent for the next two months and that we would look at it then - and that she would not have to make it up - she's been a great tenant. She emailed me back with just a photo of tears. So heartening to see many others stepping up and helping. Our church choir tried a rehearsal two weeks ago via Zoom (my wife and I sing in the choir). It was hilarious - with some on phones, tablets desktops - all with different speeds - but we gave it our best. This past week we let three different soloests sing one at a time :thumb:

Really Good News.
No political ads on tv.
I heard a neighborhood some where had people coming out on there front porches and singing together to show unity during this war on the virus, that’s really good news.

Yes! Our neighborhood did that last week, with everyone on front porches or lawns, staying apart and singing big. Lots of fun.

Good things...

Being selfish here, it's nice to have my kids home again, just like when they were younger.

The earth is retaking itself back... at Kennedy Space Center we are 85%+ vacant today and when I occasional go out there I see gators, otters and eagles abundantly, walking across the roads and parking lots.

Boat prices are down, shopping on the used market!

More things to be thankful for

Over here in Puget Sound we're being thankful for the health of our family, the extra quiet time and the lack of robo calls. We're working on unfinished projects and enjoying the unusual sun and lack of aircraft noise. We count our blessings every day our son working in the prison system is safe and well. All the test of our kids are working from home. Tomorrow we have a minus tide and we plan on digging a duck.
Stay home ( or boat remote) and stay safe everyone

Time to call a friend

Went thru my contacts and made a list of ~30 good friends from throughout my life. Some I have not talked with in a decade (shame on me). Working my way down the list and will call them all. Every one is thrilled and most say they are making calls too. No excuses; I'm not "too busy"...

Unfortunately it took a pandemic crisis for my wife's company to change their policy from "nobody can work from home because of security reasons" to "everybody needs to work from home". My wife is more productive working from home. She has no office distractions.

Unfortunately it took a pandemic crisis for my wife's company to change their policy from "nobody can work from home because of security reasons" to "everybody needs to work from home". My wife is more productive working from home. She has no office distractions.
Welcome to my world...

L

Sea Turtles and their nests are going unmolested which will probably lead to a banner year for them.

Google before and after pictures of the air pollution in places like Manila. Unbelievable. Nitrogen Dioxide levels in the atmosphere have plummeted.

The waters in Venice, Italy canals are clear.

Seismologists are able to listen to the earth at levels not thought of in the past due to the lack of human activity on the surface.

The one thing that is putting me over the edge is the complaining I hear/read that "I can't see, talk to people in person, all I have is my cell phone/iPad". REALLY? Prior to this, that is ALL "you" did. Everybody on a device at restaurant tables, in elevators, walking down the street...and now you whine about it?

There are huge lessons to be learned in all of this. How fast the earth recovers, the value of human interaction, how we really are just "one-world" but...we are human beings. We are the most intelligent and stupid species on earth, both at the same time. A year from now all of these benefits will be gone. Human beings and the earth will be back to where they were prior to CV-19.

End of speech :)

This thread was a fantastic idea...
Not about criticism and blame (except for a few replies)... more about
constructive thought....
Many people don't understand that "Mother Nature" is not always "beautiful with milk and cookies"..she often is "out to get us"...(ask anyone who has sailed the seas on a stormy night...)...
as someone said..."the earth is taking itself back.."
what we all need to learn from this is how to work "with" her better, take care of her better, and of each other...better
be well all

Will be interesting to see what Pacific salmon numbers do when this years eggs come back to spawn.

Ancedotal... Car crashes are down in our area due to lower traffic. No data other than I have only heard one crash on the scanner this week.

Keen Footwear, one of the brands I represent stopped making shoes and started making masks which we are giving away to all of our retail partners for their staffs and customers. We've been making 6,000 masks a day.

I went for a 5 mile run in the woods by our house yesterday, saw 10 wild turkeys, 5 or 6 deer, a black racer, a rattler and a coon that just stared at me from his tree like "what are YOU doing here?"

Suddenly, there's an abundance of time available to clean the basement. Throwing decades' accumulation of junque away feels good right about now ;-)

The last of my teak decks is finally getting refurbished. A 3 year project and I am very happy to be finishing it. LOL, only about 800 plugs left to replace. If my knees outlast the virus anyways.....

We have done a lot of work to the house and yard much of it I was going to tackle over the next year. Instead we hired local talent as it was all outside work and I wanted to keep money circulating through the economy. Tonight we will do takeout and give a generous tip.

We have had a lot of the AICW and soon the GIWW nearly to ourselves on this month-long delivery.

Time to live in the present.

Time to reconnect with “old friends” who were (good) friends and and are also now old.

Time to take inventory and determine value.

Awareness to tune out all the crap that gets thrown at us every day. I don’t need yet another opinion about CV anything.

A return to critical thinking

Telling your family and friends you care and knowing that you truly feel what you’re saying.

Okay - sappy needlepoint truism time is over and we are fortunate in our prior financial planning, etc. - but even being retired it has been all too easy to be distracted by noise. Maybe the good news I see is the quiet that is suddenly a part of our lives.

Just being able to 'slow down' is nice. Seeing the families in the neighborhood walking together. As others have said, it's quiet. People seem nice, less hurried. Other good news, the curve in CA has flattened and the numbers seem lower than projected.

In addition to various boat projects and storage reduction efforts, the Admiral and I are beach walking in the morning, cooking together at meals, playing games at night, and will be adding a Youtube dance tutorial starting tomorrow to learn a few more steps. I’m also taken up the hobby of donut consumption.

Attachments

• 705A083C-4A35-43E7-9997-47322D5CCC48.jpg
    705A083C-4A35-43E7-9997-47322D5CCC48.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom