Good Marine VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Along with the post about fixing an antenna, perhaps some of use would be interested in the best VHF radios out there, like I am.

Shopping for a VHF that has:
Remote operation
Monitoring dual frequencies (and seeing the channel transmitting on)
Has a bright readable display
Has the ability to have an intercom option with the remote (or other radio)
(Don't need AIS, but there's now a new unit that has an AIS transceiver built in).

Who's got a new radio that they can comment on?

In my experience cheap = low quality.

I have 2 iCom radios on ASD.

I have sold and installed a lot of ICOM radios, and a lot of Standard Horizon radios. I feel they are about the same in quality, similar in price. ICOM has something going on with the N2K interface on their radios that would be the only negative I can think of. I never saw anything in the other brands that stood out enough to make me consider them.

3 years ago I installed an Icom M506 which has all of the features you listed. I also installed the remote station for it. I got the model that had the NMEA2000 interface and an AIS display. I have been extremely happy with the performance of this radio.

Ken

Used to be an ICOM guy too.....installed plenty and used plenty on pleasure and commercial boats.

But about 15 years ago, seemed like Standard Horizon came along with better products and ICOM had a few models with issues.

Ever since, been as or more happy with Standard Horizon products and there is no noticeable difference in performance in most models, but theres always one that stands out or is a dog every few years for either brand.

Along with the post about fixing an antenna, perhaps some of use would be interested in the best VHF radios out there, like I am.

Shopping for a VHF that has:
Remote operation
Monitoring dual frequencies (and seeing the channel transmitting on)
Has a bright readable display
Has the ability to have an intercom option with the remote (or other radio)
(Don't need AIS, but there's now a new unit that has an AIS transceiver built in).

As stated previously, ICOM and Standard Horizon for fixed VHF, although Standard Hor. was rated best Hand Held by Practical Sailor several times.

Quality Antenna and good Coax also make a huge difference.

IMHO, Stay away from anything by Uniden ....... f

Sailor is by far the best and by far the most expensive, I have one that's thirty five years old and works perfect, has a handset instead of a mic which I really like plus they offer playback for the last few minutes of reception. I believe new ones are over a grand now though.

Last edited:
When I took over as slave to my current boat, I had two fixed iCom VHF radios; one on the flying bridge and one in the lower helm. After 26 years, the lower helm unit gave up! I replaced it recently with a Standard Horizon GX 2200. I also got the SH remote powered speaker. I like the change so far.

Sailor is by far the best and by far the most expensive, I have one that's thirty five years old and works perfect, has a handset instead of a mic which I really like plus they offer playback for the last few minutes of reception. I believe new ones are over a grand now though.

Sailor 6248 looks pretty good . Has your telephone handset as an option. is around $1300, discounted (It's about 1/2 the price of the handheld that I carry). :D

Sailor 6248 looks pretty good . Has your telephone handset as an option. is around $1300, discounted (It's about 1/2 the price of the handheld that I carry). :D

You have a $2600.00 handheld VHF? I have an ACR SR203 that only cost about $500.00, what kind do you have?

I had Standard Horizons. Worked well. Nitpicking would be they try to put too much on the screen and is difficult for older eyes to read.

A little off topic but I carried an aviation handheld in addition to a marine, thought being I could almost always communicate straight up.

I have 2 Raymarines on my current boat because all my electronics are Raymarine. Most of the common name brand radios are pretty good. The real difference comes in the antenna and cable. Get a good antenna and cable and hook any radio that has the features you like and you are good to go. Hearing someone say they have a 20+ years old radio is great but I have never kept any old radio that was on a boat I bought. I always replace both the radio and antenna. I want a radio system that I can rely on since it is my primary safety device on our boat. New radio and antenna are nickels and dimes in comparison to the overall cost of our trawlers.

Not technically a marine VHF radio ...

next time you are boarded by uscg, notice what is on their belt. If you get a chance to board one of the larger boats, check out the encrypted MOT mobile radios. It was the uscg that drove a significant development in multiple control heads. (those guys and the hook and ladder trucks with two drivers).

So, yeah, I'll give you that you won't find these in West Marine, or even sold as marine radios; But, they are FCC part 80 approved as such.

After all, the topic started as "the best VHF marine radio". Not sure the icoms and S-H and the Sailors of the world blast 40mph wind driven rain onto their radios after 6' drops on all sides on cement. :thumb:

I have 2 Standard Horizon GX2150 units, one at each helm. The flybridge unit has a 2nd station mic at the lower helm. We use this as a intercom mostly. I keep a handheld at the flybridge on channel 13 to communicate with tows and have the fixed mounted scan other channels. I ended up with 2 of the 2150 because I wanted AIS at each helm.

next time you are boarded by uscg, notice what is on their belt. If you get a chance to board one of the larger boats, check out the encrypted MOT mobile radios. It was the uscg that drove a significant development in multiple control heads. (those guys and the hook and ladder trucks with two drivers).

So, yeah, I'll give you that you won't find these in West Marine, or even sold as marine radios; But, they are FCC part 80 approved as such.

After all, the topic started as "the best VHF marine radio". Not sure the icoms and S-H and the Sailors of the world blast 40mph wind driven rain onto their radios after 6' drops on all sides on cement. :thumb:

I would certainly expect that performance and quite a bit more, for the price an occasional back rub wouldn't be out of the question.

My original Radio was an AM double sideband made by Bendix, I could talk over 100 miles away on some days. Rules changed and I bought an Icom and have had them ever since, one was over 20 years old when I sold that boat. Never had a problem and don’t use many of the features. I did notice the Ted’s radio could reach further in going to Ft Pierce last year, perhaps the antenna.

A little off topic but I carried an aviation handheld in addition to a marine, thought being I could almost always communicate straight up.

Not a bad idea, especially if u are cruising many dozens of miles from traditional help. Or, are actually in a lifeboat and the PLB was lost. All that remains is what freq to use. So many to choose from.

Not a bad idea, especially if u are cruising many dozens of miles from traditional help. Or, are actually in a lifeboat and the PLB was lost. All that remains is what freq to use. So many to choose from.

Yea, I've carried one of my aviation hand helds on the boat at times, also. Used it to say hi to my flying buddies at times, but never needed it for an emergency.

I've had Icoms, Motorola and SH handhelds... many over the years and they have all be great. Always keep one on my vessel, be it a big boat or a windsurfer. And they are all waterproof and float... a must today. A non waterproof one is fine, until it gets wet..... and it will.

I've also had Icoms, SH, Ray and a few others on the boats.... and they still work.... just looking for a bit of an improvement.

We had two ICOM 604s for about 10 years, all good but eventually each got a (different) glitch, possibly from a nearby lightning strike. They still worked about 99%, but late last season we replaced those with ICOM 605s. The latter came with their own GPS, and offer several options (AIS being one).

I should mention I've still got the 604s -- taking up space in my storage shelves -- in case anyone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse. :)

-Chris

121.5 if in distress

that one is the classic civilian distress freq for aviation. Trouble is, exceedingly few non-airline planes are monitoring that freq. And, I'm not even sure airlines do great job monitoring that. I never did on all my overwater flights. Far more used are the FSS freqs and the unicom freqs for uncontrolled airports such as 122.7 and .8. In "busy" island space, you are on some approach freq; in the middle of nowhere in uncontrolled space, you are busy listening to lots of planes for a dozen miles around at multiple airports. Best to have a green book with the listings of the freqs being possibly used along with that airband radio.
I have an Icom A110 that I have considered putting in my next boat. But not really for emergencies.

For the money you're talking about it may be of more utility for marine use to simply get a sideband radio. I do believe however that for the vast majority of folks a good VHF with a proper antennae will be more than adequate.

121.5 used to be Air Force Common....all the reservists would talk to their airline buddies on it..drove us poor Coastie helo guys nuts... :)

121.5 used to be Air Force Common....all the reservists would talk to their airline buddies on it..drove us poor Coastie helo guys nuts... :)

I can empathize with that!

:rofl:

Curiously, I was hailed by USCG miami when I was running from Great Harbour to Freeport; trying to out run Bertha. They had a 121.5 epirb hit and wanted me to look around on that passage. Anyway, it was super calm that day; not so the day after as I was tying the boat up to trees in a freeport private canal. I did find a gaff floating vertical, and hope whatever was going on with the epirb had a happy ending.

Marina VHF radio - I recomend Standard - Horizon

I have a set (2) of the "Standard Horizon - Explorer GPS GX-1700 VHF Marine Radios in my Trawler. -- couldn't be happier as they work great. :thumb:

It has it 's own GPS built in & displays your lat. & long as a back up for your other GPS or as your main navigation GPS if you want.

Also that internal GPS works internally with the internal DSC emergency system so you don't have to wire it to your chart plotter or an external GPS source.

Plug & play for DSC emergency. on button emergency call, with selection of your emergency from menu.

3 year waterproof warranty !

Has every option I could think of.

Works great & has lasted a long time & still going strong. I can attest, you can't go wrong with this one.

So there is my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike

I have Furono gear, but got the Simrad RS80 for the functions you noted, including the intercom. I don’t have the hailer hooked up yet, but when I do, I am looking forward to asking paddleboarders to “please move to your right”.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom