Good Fuel Price on the Upper Chesapeake But

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel. The price of the fuel was the cheapest in the area. I e-mailed the marina complaining about the charge. I received a phone call from the owner who was indignant that I had even complained. He was downright nasty. Despite the good price I will never take on fuel there again even though it is very close to my home marina.

As mentioned in other threads what if anything a marina can charge for a pump out depends on whether they took investment money from the government for the initial system.

I have been to a few marinas where they purposely didn't take the money so that they weren't restricted. Visualize the wind ferry (sailboater) Snowbird who winters on the hook, and expects to be able to get his holding tank pumped and freshwater tank filled with a 3 gallon purchase of diesel. For a while back in 2014 when the municipal marinas pump out was broken, Tarpon Point was charging $40 for a pump out. Free with a 100 gallon purchase or if you were slipped in their marina. The Wind Ferrys were incensed that they should have to pay for a pump out from a business when it was free from a municipal marina.

The infrastructure and employee has a cost to the marina, and they're entitled to recoup it whether in a fee or built into other prices such as fuel. If they're going to charge a fee regardless of fuel purchase, there should be a sign on the pump just as there is for the fuel pump.

I would be annoyed also!

Ted

My home marina charges $10 for a pumpout (posted on a sign). No discount for slipholders or taking on fuel either. But I've never seen the pumpout not working and I've got a 70 gallon tank that doesn't need emptying all that quickly, so no big deal.

Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel.

I can probably count on one hand the marinas around here who don't charge for a pump-out. No matter whether taking on fuel or not. And that's if I can eventually remember any at all....

As you know, the "subsidized" pump-outs are limited to $5, but there are apparently many that were built with no State subsidy... so they charge what they have to charge.

Our place (Anchor) now charges $14 I think; It used to be lower, maybe $9-10 but their pump-out-truck guy raised his prices something like 300% (heard second-hand) four or five years ago so Anchor had to raise prices they charge us just to be able to cope.

I dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn Rhode River's pump-out wasn't subsidized, and it's on a system they have to in turn have pumped out too. Not like there's many city services down on the Mayo peninsula (as you also know)...

-Chris

Jack, I was where you are now two years ago. Seemed to me after spending the night and paying for dockage, I could have gotten a free pump out. Also the WiFi was down but as they said, “there’s nothing we can do about it.” Well actually there was, they could have not charged me for the pump out.

But now after 3 years of the ICW I have a different perspective. It’s a business. Each marina has a different business model. You can’t have a primo location (think Nantucket), cheap fuel (New River Marina in North Carolina), cheap dockage (16$ flat rate at RE Mayo), a goodie bag (Osprey Marina), nice floating docks in great condition, free electricity, free laundry(River Manor), and a free pump out.

Some places are charging 3.20$ for a gal. of fuel, some are charging 1.60$. There is a place on Adams Creek, NC that charges 35$ for a pump out. This is across from Oriental where the pump out is free. (If you can get access to the dock and can figure out the jury rigged system)

I figure part of my obligation as someone who is lucky enough to have a boat is to spend enough money so as to support the shoreside business network that makes my lifestyle possible.

If you go to a therapist to unload all your sh*t, it would cost 100$. You spent 15$. Call it a good day.

John

You guys on the east coast are used to paying for a pump out. On the left coast I don't recall ever seeing anything but free pumpouts.

Beautiful scenery, good weather, nice places to cruise. Can't beat the PNW. Just sayin'.

You guys on the east coast are used to paying for a pump out. On the left coast I don't recall ever seeing anything but free pumpouts.

Beautiful scenery, good weather, nice places to cruise. Can't beat the PNW. Just sayin'.

+1

...and I love the comment "you could pay a therapist $100's of dollars to take your sh*t, $15 is a bargain!!!"

My winter storage marina just installed a new pumpout system. They are not subsidized.
They charge $50 if they pump you out just prior to winter storage.
If you operate the hose yourself, it's no charge.
Guess what I did?

My marina does the same with an extra charge if they have to pump you at haulout. Makes sense, as it slows the hauling process down slightly.

Growing up on the Western end of Long Island Sound (CT side), I was used to free pumpouts. Most around there are either free for slipholders, or run by a non-profit, etc.

not to start WWIII, but....

PNW really? How's that solar working for you in November?

Yeah yeah rain shadow of the Olympics.. Stops the rain but not the clouds.

Nice covered storage in Lake Union, guess you all need it.

lol

former Seattle boy, John

Given a choice between free pump outs and not being financially raped on state taxes, I'm ok with paying for a pump out every now and then. :)

Ted

Yes, I agree that paying a small fee for the pump out is not going to break anyone here, but as the OP said it was more of the surprise of seeing that charge on your bill with no advanced notice. It seems like some marinas feel that if you have a boat you should just expect to be charged for everything without questioning it.

pump out

Free pump out these days is like getting S&H green stamps at a gas station. Not right, but that the way it is. What really annoys me when I need fuel anyway and being told the pumpout is not working. That really frosts my cake.

Last season we got a pump out on the Miles River in the Chesapeake a river keeper pump out boat. We called for information ,they asked our location and came directly to us. Right spot, right time! Donations accepted for the service. https://www.shorerivers.org/pumpout-boat

I guess I'm spoiled, Somers Cove in Crisfield, MD never charges me for a pump out as a slip holder. Don't know if the policy is the same for transients. There a state funded facility, so I'm not sure if that makes them municipal. I'll have to check their specific pump out policy when I get there this weekend.

Ted

To be clear, being charged for a pump-out is not a problem for me. What was a problem was not being informed either by signage or verbally that there was a charge. And then to be verbally assaulted by the owner because I dared to complain was bit too much for me. Fifteen dollars is not going to break me but I felt it was kinda shady. What prevented me being billed $100? Nothing. All I was looking for was transparency. No one likes hidden charges. In my conversation with the owner he even objected to the suggestion that there should be signage. Talk about driving away business in the age of prolific social media.

Last season we got a pump out on the Miles River in the Chesapeake a river keeper pump out boat. We called for information ,they asked our location and came directly to us. Right spot, right time! Donations accepted for the service. https://www.shorerivers.org/pumpout-boat

That's how it's run in most of the areas I boat in in Long Island Sound, Block Island, Long Island, etc.
Usually a $5 tip is "standard" unless you have a very large boat.
You can even sign up for a weekly pump out at a given day and time, just leave your tip money where they can find it.

Took on 235 gallons of fuel at the Rhode River Marina (Galesville, MD) on 5/16/2020 and asked for a pump out. I noticed later that I was charged $15 for the pump out. I suppose I should not have assumed that the pump out was free. It was not and I was not informed that there would be a charge. I have never encountered a charge anywhere on the East Coast when taking on fuel. The price of the fuel was the cheapest in the area. I e-mailed the marina complaining about the charge. I received a phone call from the owner who was indignant that I had even complained. He was downright nasty. Despite the good price I will never take on fuel there again even though it is very close to my home marina.

He took **** from you twice and all he got was a measly $15

As others have posted it's almost free on the West coast.. but I would gladly pay $15 to have some unlucky person have to deal with it, the time the pump out on our SeaRay blew back in my face ( clogged vent) I would of paid way more not to have had that "fun" experience.

I get that your miffed that it wasn't spelled out prior to the pumping but look at the big picture and shrug it off.

HOLLYWOOD

Took shite twice? I merely complained that I was charged without notice. He was he that was slinging shite on the phone. No merchant should charge a customer for anything without notice. If it had been you and the charge was $100, would you accept the charge without question? Oh, I see, it was only $15, no big deal.
He took **** from you twice and all he got was a measly $15

As others have posted it's almost free on the West coast.. but I would gladly pay $15 to have some unlucky person have to deal with it, the time the pump out on our SeaRay blew back in my face ( clogged vent) I would of paid way more not to have had that "fun" experience.

I get that your miffed that it wasn't spelled out prior to the pumping but look at the big picture and shrug it off.

HOLLYWOOD

Hey I dont mind paying a reasonable $ for a pump out but do appreciate a courtesy one when fueling.
I had a municipal marina that I sometimes fuel at want to charge me for water after fueling... that's where I drew the line!
I dont know about state restrictions but the Fed Grant's for launch ramps, $ pump outs allows a reasonable charge I'm assuming because they do not cover 100% of cost (usually are a 50 -75% "matching" type grant)

+1

...and I love the comment "you could pay a therapist $100's of dollars to take your sh*t, $15 is a bargain!!!"

Been awhile since you have been to a therapist? :angel::hide::rofl:

In Michigan, pump outs are free and not far apart too.

Well you are right that this should have been posted somewhere. The fact that the manager didn’t just waive this after 235 gallons of fuel being purchased just shows how stressed everyone is with this COVID thing.

IF you have access to the ocean, your other option to paying for a pump out is to go out 3 miles and pump overboard. That is still free. Think of it this way, the boat movement in the ocean will stir up any sediment in the tank and you get a better pump out.
You can even add FW to the sanitary tank, after the initial pump out, few quick maneuvers to stir up the tank contents and get an even better pump out.

For those who complain about pump-out fees, would you feel better if there was an unannounced/hidden increase in fuel prices to subsidize the pump out fee? That way, everyone pays even if they/you do not need a pump out.

For those who complain about pump-out fees, would you feel better if there was an unannounced/hidden increase in fuel prices to subsidize the pump out fee? That way, everyone pays even if they/you do not need a pump out.

You mean marina's don't have a surcharge for fuel now ?? i've never found a marina that matches a land fill up. I guess you mean even more than now....

Home marina charges $ 5 for a pump out. Or I can go across the creek for free anytime. I usually buy fuel over there when I need it just to give them some business.

To be clear, being charged for a pump-out is not a problem for me. What was a problem was not being informed either by signage or verbally that there was a charge. And then to be verbally assaulted by the owner because I dared to complain was bit too much for me. Fifteen dollars is not going to break me but I felt it was kinda shady. What prevented me being billed $100? Nothing. All I was looking for was transparency. No one likes hidden charges. In my conversation with the owner he even objected to the suggestion that there should be signage. Talk about driving away business in the age of prolific social media.

So, you'd be happier if they had billed you $100?

I just find it so strange to see someone who owns a boat, gets the cheapest gas they have in years, get good service at the marina, to get so outraged at a $15 pump out fee. Why didn't you ask about the fee before requesting the pump out? I don't see it as a hidden charge. I see the issue with you assuming it would be free. As to driving business away, the person who will go on social media and forums complaining because I charged $15 for a pump out, I likely won't regret having driven them away. Might have been his intent in how he talked to you.

Now it's that you were verbally assaulted. Exactly what did he say?

I'm sorry, but I just don't share your anger over this.

BandB, I don't particularly care that you don't share my anger. Let me say this again, for about the fiftieth time (hyperbole), it was not the DAMNED fifteen dollars. It was being charged, unknowingly. And, no, I wouldn't have been happier being charged $100. I was merely trying to make a point, that no merchant should charge a customer for anything without knowledge and consent? Why is this concept so difficult for some to comprehend? Again, it wasn't the $15!!!!

Here's another example. Say you bring your boat to a yard for repairs. You get the boat back and you are billed for repairs you didn't ask for. You're okay with that I assume. It's just a matter of degree. The principle is the same.

And, BandB, you ask what was said by the marina owner. Please. I know when I am being verbally assaulted. I don't need to recite the conversation to you for you to make judgment or anyone else. And the price of fuel being cheap? What in hell has that anything to do with this? Of course, we all know that you are quite affluent. I suppose $15 is like fifteen cents to you. Am I offended by your comments? I think yes.

So, you'd be happier if they had billed you $100?

I just find it so strange to see someone who owns a boat, gets the cheapest gas they have in years, get good service at the marina, to get so outraged at a $15 pump out fee. Why didn't you ask about the fee before requesting the pump out? I don't see it as a hidden charge. I see the issue with you assuming it would be free. As to driving business away, the person who will go on social media and forums complaining because I charged $15 for a pump out, I likely won't regret having driven them away. Might have been his intent in how he talked to you.

Now it's that you were verbally assaulted. Exactly what did he say?

I'm sorry, but I just don't share your anger over this.

BandB, I don't particularly care that you don't share my anger. Let me say this again, for about the fiftieth time (hyperbole), it was not the DAMNED fifteen dollars. It was being charged, unknowingly. And, no, I wouldn't have been happier being charged $100. I was merely trying to make a point, that no merchant should charge a customer for anything without knowledge and consent? Why is this concept so difficult for some to comprehend? Again, it wasn't the $15!!!!

Here's another example. Say you bring your boat to a yard for repairs. You get the boat back and you are billed for repairs you didn't ask for. You're okay with that I assume. It's just a matter of degree. The principle is the same.

And, BandB, you ask what was said by the marina owner. Please. I know when I am being verbally assaulted. I don't need to recite the conversation to you for you to make judgment or anyone else. And the price of fuel being cheap? What in hell has that anything to do with this? Of course, we all know that you are quite affluent. I suppose $15 is like fifteen cents to you. Am I offended by your comments? I think yes.

It has nothing to do with affluent. All of us with boats are wealthier than many. If I was charged for repairs I didn't ask for, I'd question it. If I asked for them, I'd assume there would be a charge. You asked for the pump out so your example to me is in no way comparable.

As to being verbally assaulted, there is no such thing which is why I wondered what was said. Assault is by definition physical.

I'm sorry my comments offend you but you posted in a forum and you're going to receive responses from those who share your feelings and those who don't. I would never have expected the pump out to be free unless told specifically it was. I would not be bothered by the $15 charge.

Perhaps they should have made it clearer, but perhaps you shouldn't have assumed. If so, then perhaps shared fault and in that case I wouldn't get angry.

Were yours the first thread here of someone complaining about having to pay for a pump out, I likely wouldn't have reacted the same, but I just don't grasp why so many think it should be free. Some day we're all going to realize there's no such thing as free shipping either.

$15 to drag the hose to your boat, connect it, pump your tank, remove the hose.
Well, I have my tank pumped once a week (I could go 2 weeks if I don’t have company on board) for free and free golf cart rides to my car and back to the boat with groceries but, I tip the dock crew $100 quarterly, per person, and then $100 for Thanksgiving and then another $100 for Christmas. There are 4 dock personnel plus the marina secretary. I never feel like I am getting ripped off. I am tipping for some mighty fine service. They make life much easier for me. SMILE
I own 2 slips and pay approx additional $900/month ‘condo frees’ too. (A total for the 2 slips.)
Just curious, how much would you tip to have your sanitary tank pumped and hose handling to refueling your boat?

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound harsh but, I am just sharing my thoughts and my reality with you.
(Big smile). I hope we can still be friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom