Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Great photos!! Thanks!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #142
Veteran Member

City: Greenport, NY
Vessel Name: Gatsby
Vessel Model: 2004 Lien Waa 46' custom motorsailer
Thanks for the advice on how to post them. The workwork on this boat wonderful if you like the "wood cave" look....and I do. Having restored a 1960 33' Rhodes and 50' 1941 John Alden designed swordfishing yacht before I am not afraid of varnishing.

Back to the theme of this thread. Do it while you are still young or spry enough.
Slowboattochina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #143
Guru

Its been awhile since I viewed this thread and to be honest surprised to still see it listed. Possibly the general nature of the theme has made it easy for others to add on which is all good and brings me to this post. Yesterday I found my self off the San Diego coast line saying good by to a good friend from work who passed away unexpectedly last year. His family waited for a break in COVID to arrange for the spreading of ashes at sea and invited me to attend. It was, as expected a somber occasion but did help bring closure for everyone.

From a boating perspective this was only the second time I experienced a large cat (60') and was impressed with its ride, speed and stability at rest even in mixed seas. Cabin and aft deck space was small for a boat this size but I guess that is trade off for this type of design. The power and sail combination is a nice safety factor for long voyages and I can see while these designs have caught on over the past 20 years. Lots of pro's and con's which if we were in the market for another trawler I would look at closer. In the end it does not matter what style boat you are on just being back out on the water felt good and nice way to say good by to an old friend.

John T
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #144
Guru

City: Vermont
John, in another thread you hinted that you we pursuing another boat? Update? What are you building today?
Old 08-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #145
Guru

Next Boat ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
John, in another thread you hinted that you we pursuing another boat? Update? What are you building today?
We continue to sit on the sidelines since selling the boat in November and trying to figure out "life in general" as we remain interested in one more new build. I looked into small electric powered boats and even developed a design I shopped around as a "one off" build but that costs were a little too high. We took a second look at the new N41 (still like the Nordy's) but determined it was a little narrow inside and too complex for such a small boat. Maybe its me but as I get older, simplicity is more appealing while at the same time recognizing the difficulty trying to blend simplicity with world traveling in safety and comfort.

I have also been exploring sailing (I know, I'm going the wrong direction) as a challenge and something different so possibly I may go this direction but keep it small. My wife is done spending significant time aboard (I can't complain since we lived aboard part time for a few years and were the best of times for us both). Whatever I do will likely be focused on local cruising and at times solo. So as you can see nothing set in stone (yet) but one aspect of the next boat will be to try and make it a US build. I'm not political but when I see how aggressive China has become and continuation of US jobs being lost as corporations chase lower labor costs overseas, I would like to do my small part and help a US company. Many builders in the NE (and elsewhere) have enjoyed a resurgence recently but the COVID influence will not last so possibly a NE built boat? I have always admired the look of Downeast style boats and heck if Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffet can do their part possibly I can?

One thing for sure is that the clock doesn't slow down for any of us which sucks but that's life and I know I need to continue what i have always preached and "do it now" regardless of the style or type of boat as long as it meets our needs and built to high quality standards.

Will keep you posted.

John T. N4050 / N4061 / N3522 / H38E - Previous Owner
Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #146
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
"the view is the same from the aft deck regardless of the size of your boat"

I'll be honest, at the start of the thread I was kind of rolling my eyes when you mentioned that you had owned not one, but two Nords. I mean, here I am with my little 37 foot, gas powered floating shoe that cost me significantly less than some used cars, and you've owned two Nords. What could you possibly say that I would find relatable and inspiring? And then I got to this little gem. It's not very often I hear things that stop me in my tracks and render me nearly speechless, but this one did.

I think I'm going to do an art project with this one, and hang it on a wall in the salon.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #147
Guru

Its not the boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I'll be honest, at the start of the thread I was kind of rolling my eyes when you mentioned that you had owned not one, but two Nords. I mean, here I am with my little 37 foot, gas powered floating shoe that cost me significantly less than some used cars, and you've owned two Nords. What could you possibly say that I would find relatable and inspiring? And then I got to this little gem. It's not very often I hear things that stop me in my tracks and render me nearly speechless, but this one did.

I think I'm going to do an art project with this one, and hang it on a wall in the salon.
I wish I could take credit for that one but to be honest it was something that a former N68 owner said in a post he made some time ago. He and his wife had the means to travel the world with their boat but also had a great attitude on what really counts. While most of us can only dream about a bigger boat and far off destinations its also interesting how some owners of larger boats find themselves dreaming about the bigger boat anchored next to them. Then over time the reverse occurs and we (at least some of us) want something smaller and easier to own. Its all about enjoying what you do have and not worrying about the other guys boat. Just my two cents.....

JT
Old 08-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #148
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
Its all about enjoying what you do have and not worrying about the other guys boat. Just my two cents.....

JT

When you have a budget like mine, and a boat like mine, and you're like me of course, it's very easy to lose sight of what you do have, and only see the negatives. It's a slippery slope when you're constantly reminded of the shortcomings. It happened again this weekend at the pool. During casual conversation someone started ragging on gas, and how "gas goes boom". They had no idea we lived on a gas powered boat, but their tune changed dramatically when I informed them that we did. I often dream of a bigger boat, with more character, and a lower helm - but then I think about the bigger bottom job bills, and the increased maintenance costs, and the valuable space that we enjoy that would be taken up by a lower helm.

The fact is that our boat is exactly what we need right now, and for the foreseeable future. And if we repower with smaller diesels, it may be exactly what we need for years on in.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #149
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I looked into small electric powered boats and even developed a design I shopped around as a "one off" build but that costs were a little too high. We took a second look at the new N41 (still like the Nordy's) but determined it was a little narrow inside and too complex for such a small boat.
Have you considered Greenline, since you mentioned electric?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #150

City: East Coast & Caribbean
Vessel Name: Untethered
Vessel Model: Selene 57
What an inspirational post. Thank you! Many people would have succumed to their pain and suffering and lived the rest of their lives watching TV. You have challenged yourself to do something more. You're going out of your comfort zone to experience more of what life offers.

Boating isn't the easy path. But the people you meet, and the sights you see make it much more rewarding that what most people do.
La Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #151
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Every time I start to stiffen up, I go crawl around the engine room. SMILE
Old 09-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #152
Guru

Agree boating helps keep us in shape and is a form of exercise and healthy. i just heard about a Nordhavn owner finally selling his boat at he age of 80. not a bad run....

I'm hopeful learning to sail will provide the source of exercise I need to remain in shape while also learning something new and challenging. Who knows what may follow in a few years.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Agree boating helps keep us in shape and is a form of exercise and healthy. i just heard about a Nordhavn owner finally selling his boat at he age of 80. not a bad run....

I'm hopeful learning to sail will provide the source of exercise I need to remain in shape while also learning something new and challenging. Who knows what may follow in a few years.

Only 80 and he gives it up? I'm 85 and still doing all my own boat work, boating 12 months of the year and competing in Predicted Log contests.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #154
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Only 80 and he gives it up? I'm 85 and still doing all my own boat work, boating 12 months of the year and competing in Predicted Log contests.

Well, I guess we should all be like you then.

I must fail at life since I’m only 63 and am about to pay to have someone detail my boat since my back can’t take the work. Maybe I should just quit this whole boating thing…?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #155
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Well, I guess we should all be like you then.

I must fail at life since I’m only 63 and am about to pay to have someone detail my boat since my back can’t take the work. Maybe I should just quit this whole boating thing…?
Detailing has little relevance to how old you can still enjoy boating. I don't enjoy detailing. I do it as and when I have to. I haven't succumbed to paying to have my boat detailed, but I admit having been tempted. Maybe I should just give up this whole detailing thingy?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #156
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am 78 and have discovered, naps are wasted on the young.
Hour or 2 nap, I am good till 10pm bedtime after my cognac but then, I wake up about 5am.
I figure I am good for 2 more years is I dont stroke out.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #157
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Hour or 2 nap, I am good till 10pm bedtime after my cognac but then, I wake up about 5am.
You're one cool dude OldDan. Go like hell till you can't, that's our motto.
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #158
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Dan - You're too darn ornery for that!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #159
Guru

7 Years Ago

I just realized this thread originally started back in 2014 with our first Trawler (N4050) and how quickly time has flown by. Just amazing and scary how time doesn't sit still regardless what you do or don't do. Looking back I can honestly say I have no regrets with any of our boats and money spent. Only wish the N35 drive shaft overheat problem could have been solved and we kept the boat longer but then again "it is a boat and these types of issues need to be dealt with". On the positive side owning N3522 allowed us to confirm we were ready for another new build resulting in the Helmsman 38E so all good.

Now in 2021 (almost 2022) we find ourselves against the tide and waiting for our latest little adventure to arrive hopefully by Christmas. If anyone would have told me back in 2014 a day sailor was in our horizon I would have laughed but now look what we are doing. Bottom line for me is the type of boat doesn't really matter as much as researching, building and enjoying them out on the water.

Will be interesting to if I'm still around in another 7 years to make a similar post this long living thread. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread over the years.

John T. - N4050, N4061, N3522, H38E former owner
Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #160
Bel
Veteran Member

City: Wellington
Vessel Name: Sea Jac
Vessel Model: Davies 54
So nice to remember the good times, especially as we are in a bit of a storm-repair hiatus. Thanks for the wonderful story and the motivation!
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote