Going up and down west coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the Russian Roulette example....very much like going to sea.

Yes, there are more empty chambers (nice cruises) than the one loaded one (bad cruise).... but it's out there if you spin enough times.

I delivered a LOT of boats from California to Oregon and Washington. I found the weather to be pretty predictable. Not always great, but not ridiculously awful.

That said, my strategy for rounding Pt Conception/Arguello to cross shortly after midnight when the diurnal winds and conditions were at their calmest. One trip from San Diego on a 60-ft motoryacht with the owner aboard the winds and seas didn't lay-down as much as expected. It was dark so I really don't know how high the seas were, probably in the 6-7 foot range; but they were pretty short and steep, and on the bow. 30-kts of wind meant there was water spray everywhere. I remember the owner gripping the wheel white-knuckled telling me in a very animated tone: "Peter, you said this would be fun. This is NOT F'ING FUN!!!"

I saw him a year later in Colorado where he was holding court at an inland lake regailing his "Man in the Sea" tale to a bunch of boat-neighbors. The seas got bigger, the winds stronger, the duration longer, but he clearly had very fond memories of the delivery.

Peter

I delivered a LOT of boats from California to Oregon and Washington. I found the weather to be pretty predictable. Not always great, but not ridiculously awful.

That said, my strategy for rounding Pt Conception/Arguello to cross shortly after midnight when the diurnal winds and conditions were at their calmest. One trip from San Diego on a 60-ft motoryacht with the owner aboard the winds and seas didn't lay-down as much as expected. It was dark so I really don't know how high the seas were, probably in the 6-7 foot range; but they were pretty short and steep, and on the bow. 30-kts of wind meant there was water spray everywhere. I remember the owner gripping the wheel white-knuckled telling me in a very animated tone: "Peter, you said this would be fun. This is NOT F'ING FUN!!!"

I saw him a year later in Colorado where he was holding court at an inland lake regailing his "Man in the Sea" tale to a bunch of boat-neighbors. The seas got bigger, the winds stronger, the duration longer, but he clearly had very fond memories of the delivery.

Peter

Never meant to say weather prediction is terrible...if one reviews the history of my posts, I am usually one sticking up for weather forecasters and often mention that localized weather is usually an on scene interpretation not predictable usually from a distant room full of sensors and charts..

My point was that sooner or later even if the weather window was predicted 100%, you may not be on shcedule or in the right place, etc, etc..... So even predicted weather can ruin your day despite starting off in a great weather window.

I crossed Drakes Passage not once but 4 times in great to pretty good conditions, doesn't mean I am foolish enough to think most crossings will be a cakewalk and while I would love to give the captain and crew a round of applause, even they were dumbfounded by our luck.

Never meant to say weather prediction is terrible...if one reviews the history of my posts, I am usually one sticking up for weather forecasters and often mention that localized weather is usually an on scene interpretation not predictable usually from a distant room full of sensors and charts.

Apologies if I inferred otherwise.

Mostly, I try to de-mystify the West Coast. I know your professional career brought you into these waters, but I don't recall if you spent much time here recreationally. The CA/WA/OR coastline is literally feared by vast majority of recreational boaters - you'd think Cape Mendocino and Pt Conception are Hells Kitchen of the most treachorous kind. I don't mean to suggest it doesn't command respect, but with some decent planning and a healthy respect for weather, it's an approachable coast for a moderately experienced owner with even a modest trawler. It's a beautiful coastline with interesting fishing villages sprinkled throughout (though not all are recommended by boat).

I've been surprised by seas that should have laid down but didn't; and those seas that never materialized. But the differences are not catastrophic - maybe it was uncomfortable when I left and I expected it to improve and it didn't.

One big difference between the West Coast and more tropical climates such as Florida is the West Coast is not prone to intense thunderstorms which can really cause havoc in a micro-geography.

Peter

Post #59 speaks to the majority of us IMHO. Just do it, be careful and don’t have a schedule. Two years ago a good friend completed the last 2/3 of the journey in his GB on one engine. Good weather most of the way between WA and SoCal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom