Go Fund Me Account

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck. I was joking with some buddies about setting up a go-fund-me for a new davit.

They told me I should set up a “go f***-yourself” account. :ermm:

Good luck. I was joking with some buddies about setting up a go-fund-me for a new davit.

That is way Too Funny [emoji23]

:lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A couple years ago,there were a series of YOU TUBE videos. They were about a young couple and their infant enjoying the cruising life on like a 31 or 33 foot cruiser. Once you got past the first video, you started to get the idea: you were supposed to watch the videos, then put money into their Go Fund Me account so that they could continue their cruising lifestyle!

The scheme was so outrageous, it took my breath away!

A couple years ago,there were a series of YOU TUBE videos. They were about a young couple and their infant enjoying the cruising life on like a 31 or 33 foot cruiser. Once you got past the first video, you started to get the idea: you were supposed to watch the videos, then put money into their Go Fund Me account so that they could continue their cruising lifestyle!

The concept is, we want to vacation 12 months of the year and we'll blog or video, but we want people to pay for us to be able to do this since we don't want to have to work now.

The concept is, we want to vacation 12 months of the year and we'll blog or video, but we want people to pay for us to be able to do this since we don't want to have to work now.

Yeah, the concept plays real well with a lot of us folks who sweated at work and saved for years to have a boat as nice as the one the "kids" had!:)

Yeah, the concept plays real well with a lot of us folks who sweated at work and saved for years to have a boat as nice as the one the "kids" had!:)

I never had the audacity to seek funding for my recreation. I wonder if we could get funding to pay for our tennis court fees. Well, probably could if we'd video it. Typically it's my wife and me against Jeff and Maria. Not saying anyone would pay to watch Jeff or me, but Maria and my wife they might very well.

Got to have the hot girl with skimpy outfits to get real support.

I'm like you in that I worked for mine, but even more I think if I'm going to donate money to someone, what about all the people in real need. What about the millions of Americans in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands as opposed to partiers on a sail boat. However, if people want to support them then not my place to criticize that. The can spend discretionary funds however they choose.

Not as outrageous as one would think. There are currently thousands and thousands of video bloggers out there who are getting paid crazy amounts of money for their content. I can think of two sailing related vlogs off the top of my head who are making thousands of dollars per video via a Patreon account.

Check these out:

Get more from Sailing SV Delos on Patreon
https://www.youtube.com/user/briantrautman

Get more from Sailing La Vagabonde on Patreon
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQjaSoLjIzFnWsDQOv4ww

LaVegabonde takes in $20,000.00 US per month after buying a brand new 45 foot Outremer Catamaran. No joke. It’s amazing how much you can make helping other people dream about sailing the world. [emoji288]
There are dreamers (95%) and then there are the doers (5%).

Here's a person living the cruising lifestyle that I feel good about contributing to each Christmas. Also a member here.

Ted

Here's a person living the cruising lifestyle that I feel good about contributing to each Christmas. Also a member here.

Ted

Wifey B: One of my heroes, tis she. She hasn't gone worldwide on youtube or patreon yet though and lives such a content and simple life. We can all learn so much from Janice. I know I do every time we communicate. Really the one thing she asks for from her site is to go to Amazon through her and costs you nothing while she gets a small affiliate fee. Janice rocks. :dance:

Perhaps if we knew some of these other people but we don't. And we don't know them after seeing their videos either because we've just seen them acting, their television show. We might like the real person better than the persona they've created or worse. If people want to support them, that's fine.

Gofundme was such a good idea at it's heart and beginning. I remember first seeing pages set up by local victims of tragedies and it was easy to confirm or know the story was real. I knew a single mother whose son was killed in a horrible accident and all she needed was help with the funeral costs. To their credit, the funeral home essentially was advancing all she needed and accepting whatever she could raise on the site. It was still short of the cost, but they accepted it as payment in full.

However, after hurricanes and tornadoes now, hundreds of pages pop up and you have no way of knowing which are legitimate needs. Many create listings when they weren't even hit, others who are fully insured. It's so hard to know. It's just today's version of the old jar on the counter in the restaurant or store but most of the time then it was a well known local situation. There were a few over the years though that were bogus. :mad:

Go ahead and try it! There are folks that will donate to any cause.........Free money. I don't even think it is taxed...

We have friends that have a successful Youtube channel. At first, I thought the patreon thing was tacky, but why should network execs make all the money on reality shows? This is actually a great example of disintermediation, which is happening across the economy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disintermediation

ps I like Janice on Seaweed too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom