Glacier danger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
Run!

Video on* Youtube this AM.

Note the black exhaust. * Anyone want to guess the last time that tour boat max'd out RPMs?***

ARoss wrote:
Run!

Video on* Youtube this AM.

Note the black exhaust. * Anyone want to guess the last time that tour boat max'd out RPMs?***

*Wow, Al.* However, it can be seen almost every day.* The USS Minnow tours leaving the harbor with landlubber tourists with grandma along.* They have no knowledge of the dangers of going to sea, and how unforgiving the sea can be.* While the tourists were ooh and awing, the captain was thinking, "I've got to get my ass out of here'.* Of course that was not a normal calving, but those unsuspecting tourists should not be put in that danger.

"Note the black exhaust. Anyone want to guess the last time that tour boat max'd out RPMs? "

Most larger boats will run black exhausts when the throttle is maxed , as the engine , drive train speed up.

Watch any "sport fish" as it gets underway at speed.

*those unsuspecting tourists should not be put in that danger.

I happen to know a bit about this, since I helped re-build the boat, and have run it off and on for years. I actually ran it the week prior.* As for the black exhaust, FF is correct.* She has Lugger 6170's and will smoke any time you advance the throttles anything less than very slowly.*

As for putting tourists in danger, the owner has been operating on that route for almost 20 years without incident.* He has thousands of trips to view the glacier, and has more experience in Tracy Arm than anyone alive.* Any time anyone goes out in a boat they are in danger. Certainly some voyages are more dangerous than others, but there is some calculated risk in everything we do.* The boat is inspected by the coast guard once a year to insure it is as safe as possible for paying passengers.* It is true that passengers expect a safe trip, and that's just what they get 99.9% of the time.* This was a freak accident that had a tragic outcome but thank god she will recover.* Should we shut down all passenger vessels to avoid the possibility of future accidents?* Probably not, so all we can do is learn from this.* I for one am pretty shaken by this, as I have done the same thing hundreds of times without incident, but it only takes once to forever change lives.* My take away from this is to again increase my safety awareness, and to never let my guard down. It's been a very sad reminder that accidents happen. May the recovery be rapid..............Arctic Traveller

Back
Top Bottom