Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A cable grip is designed to take the load on cable.

https://www.liftingequipmentstore.co...lmg-cable-grip
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #22

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Do you really mean "cable," as in wire rope? That would be VERY unusual as an anchor rode.
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
A cable grip is designed to take the load on cable.

https://www.liftingequipmentstore.co...lmg-cable-grip
I think we have a winner,
Quote:
The LMG is a device for pulling, gripping and tensioning unsheathed wire ropes, cables, and metal rods in all forms. The parallel jaws provide a firm, non-slip grip without causing damage to the wire. A special spring-loaded guide prevents the grip from dropping off the wire and affords instand release without jamming.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I’ll guess that wire on a reel for less volume over chain but what’s wrong with stainless?
Same reason s/s is not the best idea for many things.
Work hardens,micro cracks
S/S rigging wire on my cat had strands breaking after a season or two of boisterous sailing.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
WESTERLY has a winch, 40' of 5/16" HT chain, and 300' of 1/4" stainless steel cable.

It's what the boat came with when I bought it 20 years ago.

I have found the winch to be very serviceable, and the rode works well, although it is more like a line/chain combo in the swinging area needed. It has a pawl that keeps the drum from moving, if the winch were to fail holding the rode, the bow would probably be gone along with the winch.

In my towing days, we had a carpenter's clamp for emergency purposes (tow machine brake band failure, etc) that clamped around the wire rope. But I've seen one of these explode when exposed to dynamic pressure. We had special precautions to keep the crew safe when one of these was in service.

The best answer for increasing the ability of the rode to safely weather high strains, is to increase scope. As FF mentioned, a kellet can be helpful, as long as the winch is strong enough to handle retreival. If you are rigged appropriately, kellets can be retrieved separately.

WESTERLY's solution for extreme weather conditions is to replace the SS cable rode with a 3/4" nylon line (435') that is available at the winch. Just takes a minute or two to change out the shackles, this almost doubles the available safe working load of the assembly, and provides much needed dynamic surge capacity. When deployed, it is still made fast to the winch. Done this twice in the last 20 years, may have been un-needed both times.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Same reason s/s is not the best idea for many things.
Work hardens,micro cracks
S/S rigging wire on my cat had strands breaking after a season or two of boisterous sailing.
Interestingly, I've seen broken strands on the wear areas of my SS anchor cable, but only when I used 316 SS. This last time, I purchased 304 SS and over 3 years have yet to see any broken strands. SWL is almost identical, but service life is 2-3 times that of 316 SS.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Almost all of the cable reel windlasses I have seen are on fish boats that are fully manned.

This means weather anchored for an hour or a day , a watch was able to observe the vessel.

Perhaps the wire could be removed and nylon used , to gain the stretch ability that makes nylon such a delight.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #28
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
If I designed this winch, it would have a spring loaded drum. So, at some preset torque, it would turn a little, then return back.
Hard fastened steel all the way to the seafloor is not for yachts, I submit.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
My two centavos worth ---

Jay N has drum setups figured out, has for a very long time it would seem. The Nordlund in question (call Nordlund if an OEM install) likely has a pretty robust cable drum system but knowing how robustly it is affixed to the deck structure is a question for us in the dark. Thus one of the many commercial cable grippers can be considered. Just keep it clean and oiled as salt water will destroy it in short order.

Thousands of drum setups like it in use worldwide. Stainless rode cable is a dream for the commercial guys due to cost. As Simi notes, strength less than non SS cable but an extra 1/16" makes up for it. And no rust!

FF, deck watch overnight on a lightly or single manned (peopled if in Canada) fishing boat not common. Those that I'm familiar with just drop the hook, affix the drum holder and go to sleep. I doubt they know an anchor dragging video can be found on TF.

As mentioned, cable drums normally have a cog or other braking device. The OP states he needs to determine how to set and release this braking device with less effort. A visit to the commercial dock will yield results, at worst share a cup of coffee or beer with a fish boat guy who knows the ropes!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
If I designed this winch, it would have a spring loaded drum. So, at some preset torque, it would turn a little, then return back.
Hard fastened steel all the way to the seafloor is not for yachts, I submit.
Humm, some big yacht owners do just fine with all steel, especially those with metal boats.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #31
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Humm, some big yacht owners do just fine with all steel, especially those with metal boats.
fine, as long as you anchor in mud, sand, and the like. Once you hook into some of the more unstoppable objects/materials is where it gets more interesting and costly.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Sitka AK
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Nordlund 62
Much more room for road with a mix of chain and cable on the drum. Stainless because i didn't buy it, nice though

I'll try the "knot" with nylon on inch line and let you all know if it works, i.e. Doesn't slip

Thanks,
cline is offline   Reply With Quote