Give Me Your Thoughts On This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can mail-order a small sailboat vang or preventer unless you prefer to 'roll your own'.
If for any reason it doesn't work out then return it.

I've looked at the vangs. I'd want to try it out on a loaner first if I could then look at vangs. I also need to estimate what line I would need for a 4:1 - six times the length from the anchor point to the top of the davit at it's furthest point plus enough feet for handling.

I've looked at the vangs. I'd want to try it out on a loaner first if I could then look at vangs. I also need to estimate what line I would need for a 4:1 - six times the length from the anchor point to the top of the davit at it's furthest point plus enough feet for handling.

I noted a friend having issues with his manual turning hoist, similar to yours, this summer. As he ages it just keeps getting harder. A power driven rotation would be so much easier. I understand how pulling the dinghy up that hill gets old pretty quickly. I also understand the firm NO you get from Sian.

You could use a light tackle pulling from the D ring, just to get the top of the boom inboard enough to mostly right the boat. You just need to get it far enough inboard so the weight of the dinghy is not causing more than a degree or so of outboard list, then pulling on the dinghy will do the rest.

I think your AC winch is a bad idea. She won't use it. You will end up with your dinghy being towed, if used at all.

I have an unused AC winch. Originally from Harbor freight, cost me little and powerful enough for the job.

I wanted to hoist my dinghy with less effort. My tackle on the stern end was 4:1, on the bow, 3:1. The bow weighs ~250#, stern ~500#.
The logistics and aesthetics of installation of the AC winch defeated that exercise. I now have 6:1 on the stern and 3:1 on the bow and a season in, am satisfied that I can continue to lift using sailboat winches and that tackle for several more years.

For the price of the AC winch you can get good looking sailboat blocks and some nice looking line that will be more than adequate.

eBay has Rostan/Barton 4:1 main sheet vangs for $135. Might be worth a try.

A 4:1 blocke & tackle with a cam cleat on the operators end will be a simpler solution. I have the same problem rotating the dinghy onboard. Because of its weight, the rotational friction is definitely increased. Large carabiners on each block will make it easy to move to maximize purchase ( I use outboard dinghy tube and various points on the boat deck rail). Use a bigger line/block than the loads require to make it easier for your sig other to pull on the line (3/8 is bare minimum, 1/2” or more is easier to grip).

please don't be distracted by my drawing skills..... This is what I tried to describe earlier. Either a pole that folds up or is removable to push the davit from firm footing in the middle of the boat deck.

Attachments

• davit.jpg
    davit.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 27
please don't be distracted by my drawing skills..... This is what I tried to describe earlier. Either a pole that folds up or is removable to push the davit from firm footing in the middle of the boat deck.

I understand it.

Wish I was that skinny!

Really, on your nice boat?
Time to pony up some dead presidents and buy a boat crane with rotation, elevation, and cable controls in a remote. If you decide to go ghetto with the winch, the only thing you will honestly accomplish is using or storing the dinghy less because it's such a PIA! If I were going to spend as much time in the Bahamas as you do, I would want removing my dinghy from the water to be effortless so the Bahamian pirates don't steal it.

Ted

This!

Sure, there are lots of Rube Goldberg alternatives. But really, get a grip! Just retrofit power rotation or replace the crane with one that does have it. Sooner or later you will be launching or retrieving the dink when the boat rolls a bit. That's when you do not want to have free rotation! Easy for someone to get badly hurt with a dink in an uncontrolled swing. Both the PO and myself learnt that lesson.

Last edited:
+1 that particular AC winch is heavy and clumsy to use. My brother and I used one to move some heavy tools up a ramp into a u haul earlier this year, and while it worked, I found it quite back straining to rig and run for each pull. With no tension on it you pretty much have to hold it in place and run it.. Now we did not have eyes in perfect spots in the u-Haul and on the tools, so that made things more difficult. An AC winch might ultimately be your solution, but not this particular one...I have seen outdoor/marine AC winch discussions before, so I believe they're out there and may be your solution (if the powered base is not in the cards like some others have suggested.)

I like the 4:1 tackle idea, since that may give your admiral more advantage without lugging/rigging anything cumbersome. Good luck with this!

Thanks all for the thoughts. My aim is that whatever set up I eventually get to means that I can continue to bring the dinghy on board going forward, but with much less to no strain on my body.

The need for Sian to do it is hopefully a short term thing.

Until I get this resolved/and more time since surgery we may have to go marinas, so we will probably head off to either Fernandina, St Augustine, Marineland and Palm Coast for the next short while. Sucks not being able to anchor out though.

This!

Sure, there are lots of Rube Goldberg alternatives. But really, get a grip! Just retrofit power rotation or replace the crane with one that does have it. Sooner or later you will be launching or retrieving the dink when the boat rolls a bit. That's when you do not want to have free rotation! Easy for someone to get badly hurt with a dink in an uncontrolled swing. Both the PO and myself learnt that lesson.

That may be the solution way down the road but not convinced it's what I need now. How many folks launch and retrieve their dinghys using the boom and mainsheet of their masts on small and mid-size trawlers, and at all ages?

I'm going to give Marquipt a call this morning and see if they have any suggestions.

I know, right. Do I have to hand in my man card?

Plan on being seated when MarQuipt tells you how much a full power davit will cost! You will need a new standpipe with a much thicker wall section and a larger diameter as well as a place to locate the pump. We put ours in a storage bench seat on our afterdeck next to the standpipe. The new standpipe was about $3500 for the pipe with labor taking 2 days to install. Our power davit was bought used as a removal from a sportfisher for $10k IIRC.

I believe they have electric rotation as well as hydraulic.

Right now I am more interested in other potential options and a discussion on lubrication.

Last edited:
So spoke with Carlos at Marquipt support. Seems that this is a conversation he has regularly!

We discussed fully lubing the rotation point. He said it might help a little but won't be anywhere near enough for my wife to be able to bring in the boat. He discussed the powerboat list caused by having the dinghy over the side and that basically is the issue we are fighting.

A replacement all power unit, installed, is around $26K.

We discussed the block and tackle and he fully recommended placing a winch on the boat deck instead. He said it could either be an electric one or a hand cranked one. When I discussed attaching from the D ring to the top of the davit he said no, that the best pull point was as low as I could get it - so to the stern of the dinghy.

When I discussed a 110v winch he suggested 12v insteard using a dedicated battery on the boat deck. That of course would give me a charging task.

So more to chew over on this.

Hmm, a bit pricy to do it right! But if you try some cumbersome work-around and screw your back again it may mean the end of your boating days.

An alternative would be to get the smallest, lightest dingy that will get both of you to shore. The load may then be light enough for Sian to manage.

Hmm, a bit pricy to do it right! But if you try some cumbersome work-around and screw your back again it may mean the end of your boating days.

An alternative would be to get the smallest, lightest dingy that will get both of you to shore. The load may then be light enough for Sian to manage.

We had a long time sailing couple over for dinner this evening and took him down to the boat and discussed the issue.

I think we have the spot for a powder coated stand at waist height with a self tailing sailboat winch that will do the job easily. He doesn't even feel that a winch handle would be needed but could be added anyway. These are well suited to the environment and would not have an issue sitting open on the boat deck.

I would test try a whisker pole to boom out the dinghy port or starboard so you can lift vertically. A few feet of sail track and fittings to let you store it alongside or use stantions bases to clip on the pole and stow. Many sizes available in sailing supplies to fly genoa sail wing and wing.

I would test try a whisker pole to boom out the dinghy port or starboard so you can lift vertically. A few feet of sail track and fittings to let you store it alongside or use stantions bases to clip on the pole and stow. Many sizes available in sailing supplies to fly genoa sail wing and wing.

Not sure I get that? The vertical lifting is not the issue, it is then swinging it horizontally onto the boat deck chocks.

You seem to be suggesting that we store it permanently on the side or stern of the boat?

Side stowed held away from yacht side by light wicker pole. Dinghy positioned at 90 degrees for raising free and clear. Either use the davit boom to keep the dinghy at 90 degrees or light guide lines fore and aft of outer end of pole. Pole can swivel dinghy back alongside for connecting lifting bridle or vertical to detach once lifted out of the water. A light weight aluminum adjustable length whisker pole should work.

Before the back injury how did you swing it. Besides brut force.
What part did you pull on to rotate. Seems like gravity is fighting rotation. Can the current vertical post position be changed so not leaning overboard when dingy hanging.

Last edited:
Before the back injury how did you swing it. Besides brut force.
What part did you pull on to rotate. Seems like gravity is fighting rotation. Can the current vertical post position be changed so not leaning overboard when dingy hanging.

Stern rope on dinghy swung it stern in to the chocks. It has to be lifted over the port side as that is where the davit is affixed and the davit is not long enough to raise over the transom.

We have the exact situation. As WH said in an earlier post, lubricating the 'joint' did the job for us - made it so much easier. That, and getting a new lighter, non-fiberglass bottomed dinghy, made it so easy. Good luck.

We have the exact situation. As WH said in an earlier post, lubricating the 'joint' did the job for us - made it so much easier. That, and getting a new lighter, non-fiberglass bottomed dinghy, made it so easy. Good luck.

I can't see us getting rid of the center console RIB with the 25hp Yamaha.

Attachments

• DSC_0311-960x640.jpg
    DSC_0311-960x640.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I had the identical problem getting my 700# Whaler "around the corner." I have a Nautical Structures davit that I must rotate by hand. My Whaler comes around the corner bow first. I priced a replacement davit and needed oxygen to recover from the sticker shock. But, I was then motivated.

My solution turned out to be ridiculously simple and cheap. I bought a snap shackle, a large hook and a pulley (about 3") at Home Depot. Then got myself about 50' of 3/8" line. I attached the snap shackle to the tie down padeye that secures the bow of the Whaler when it's aboard. Attached the line to the snap shackle. Ran the line through the pulley and put the hook onto the top of the pulley. Now I bring the Whaler up to boat deck level, swing the bow towards me using the Whaler's bow line. Then I attach the hook from the pulley to the tow ring on the bow of the Whaler. Once rigged I can simply pull the line and the Whaler and davit swing magically in. Once she's over the boat deck the rest is easy. Although your boat may swing stern in I'm sure you can figure it out.My total cost was about $10. If you need a photo or two let me know. Save your back and your bucks! Good luck.

So hmason, basically you went the block and pulley route, but just used a 2:1 solution with a one piece pulley?

As someone who also has had for a very very long time low back pain (degenerative disc disease), MRI’s CAT Scans, radium dye pain source testing. Been hospitalized in traction, epidural steroid injections, every other day physical therapy designed low back stretching routine in order to live with the debilitating pain and down time for the rest of my life situation to avoid back surgery.
I think it’s time to let technology help you and yours enjoy safely your love of boating. :)
I have no affiliation with SeaLift but have seen installations in use and talked with satisfied boaters.

Attachments

• 4E5FF92D-C878-4587-9A0C-6264587B7251.jpg
    4E5FF92D-C878-4587-9A0C-6264587B7251.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The SeaLift might be really great but I'd wager that the sticker shock would be well above the Marquipt rotation replacement!

By the way, if you are replacing the crane there are other options that should be a lot cheaper than the Marquipt one. I installed a Nick Jackson crane, 12V hydraulic rotation and boom lift with 12V winch for the spectra line. It has 1500# lift capacity. Cost was $14,705 in 2012.

Edit: I previously had a manual rotation davit with 120V AC winch. Dinghy was a 14' Novurania console fiberglass RIB with a 50HP Yamaha. Manual rotation was REALLY scary with that weight, boat list when outboard, etc. But it did rotate quite easily. Current RIB an aluminium AB, 14' console with 40 HP Honda. With power rotation a kid can manage it solo.

Last edited:
Not being able to bend, twist or lift more than 30 pounds of weight without back strain will make the weight leaving your wallet a much easier decision.

“ The happiest man is one who gets through life with minimum of pain. Schopenhauer “

And I might add a wee dram of Johnny Walker Black !

Last edited:
We looked at a 47’ Bayliner. I don’t remember the brand of crane they have but the cranes are notorious for being almost impossible to swing side to side. The BOC website has many threads about the problem. Essentially people use the wrong lubricant and the plastic inside the crane swells up and makes rotation very difficult. The solution seems to be disassembly and sanding the plastic down and then only using silicone lubricant on it instead of a petroleum lube. Don’t know if yours is like that or not but it might be something to look at.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom