Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 495
I have never seen one in person and have no affiliation at all but I think the PT11 is one of the best looking nesting, rowing, sailing dinghy around and is reported to have very good performance. It looks like it has less rocker and flatter bottom overall than the more traditional styled dinks.

Name:  pt11sail.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  13.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	pt11row.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	59718

I am sure I have posted this before and I swear I have nothing to do with the company but I am just smitten with the design. Unfortunately I can't justify building one either as I already have a laser, 420, canoe and multiple kayaks but my inflatable is the only dinghy that can handle my family of 5 at once.
__________________
Advertisement

Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #22
Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
I have never seen one in person and have no affiliation at all but I think the PT11 is one of the best looking nesting, rowing, sailing dinghy around and is reported to have very good performance. It looks like it has less rocker and flatter bottom overall than the more traditional styled dinks.

Attachment 59717

Attachment 59718

I am sure I have posted this before and I swear I have nothing to do with the company but I am just smitten with the design. Unfortunately I can't justify building one either as I already have a laser, 420, canoe and multiple kayaks but my inflatable is the only dinghy that can handle my family of 5 at once.
Reminds me of something I heard recently from the wife of a friend.
When asked by his wife why they had 19 boats, his answer was "because I just gave one away!"...
Bruce
__________________

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #23
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I don't suppose you know how fast the Torqeedo pushed it? Also, did you find that the Torqeedo worked well will the the dinghy in general?
I don't know how fast it will go at wide open throttle, but at about 50% where I usually run the speed is 3.5 knots or so. That is with two people and gear. I would guess around 5 knots at WOT. I always row when I am alone. The hard dinghy goes faster than my RIB 310 does. I could get the RIB up to about 4.5 knots, but generally ran at about 3-3.5 knots.

Overall the Torqeedo works well with the dinghy, although there is one issue. My wife insists on sitting on the middle seat so when the two of us are in the dinghy I have to crouch/kneel behind the middle seat to run the dinghy with the motor. That is an uncomfortable position. When I have run the dinghy with the motor by myself I sit on the middle seat and use a tiller extension. This would be a problem with any small dinghy though. With the RIB I sit on the side tube, but you can't do that on a hard dinghy.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
grahamdouglass's Avatar
 
City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 242
Have you ever looked at a Minto

Although I have an RIB on the back of my Trawler now. When I owned a sailboat many moons ago I had a Minto as my tender. It didn't have a sail package but it was a beautiful rowing dingy. It is 9' in length.

You can look at it here: Minto Sailing Dingy History
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #25
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
John,
If the Gig Harbor 10 has a FD anything like my 12' GH Defiance it will not reach hull speed w 2hp or any similar engine. The 10 (probably 9'6'' WLL) will have a hull speed of 4 knots. The 10' Gig Harbor may have a semi-planing hull that would make hull speed w a 3 or 4hp OB working hard. But unless you're working the 2hp OB hard you're looking at 1hp. I have a 2hp Yamaha and the noise working hard is not pleasant.
I'm not familiar w the 10' GH boat so it may have a semi-planing hull and thus may be capable of more speed .. perhaps 5 .. or even 6 knots w a 5 or 6hp OB.
We have a yellow sailboat semi-planing hull dinghy (see pic) that ran about 7 or 8 knots cruising w a 6hp 2cyl Johnson OB. But the yellow dink is nowhere near a FD hull. Look at how the bottom of the dink aft runs upward as one goes aft. As a FD hull the bottom would run upwards to the extent that the transom would be out of the water as my 12' GH Defiance is. But my yellow dink would only have her transom out of the water at rest w no one or any other weight in the boat. But w a planing hull (having a straight run aft from ahmidships) the transom would be below the WL. The 10' GH is probably like my 10' yellow dink. A semi displacement hull.
The GH boats are great boats and you'll probably love it .. but probably at a considerably lower speed than your post suggests.

Eric,

What does your dingy weigh? Just wondering how you wrestle it up on the roof. I have a 110 LB RIB that I pull up onto my PH roof and it's a pain. I attempted to make some PVC pole "ramps" to make it easier but the ramps don't work well yet.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,116
Dude,
Are you referring to the 10' yellow dink in my pics? That boat is light. Only about 75 or 80lbs. It's not hard to haul it up to the point where the bow stem is about 22" above the roof "eve" but beyond that point on it's very difficult and dangerous. After 4 or 5 haulups I quit doing it. Had the boat on the house for some time after that as a life boat.

Eventually got a rubber duckie. But it's nearly worthless on the water.


The 12' Point Defiance is very heavy .. I'm guessing 150 to 180lbs. It will not be a dinghy. I may try towing it for some local trips but it's FD and would be well above her hull speed behind Willy at her 6 usual knots. IMO dinghys need to be SD or planing hulls to be towed well above their hull speed.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #27
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
They did some casual speed tests on two of their boats using a Yamaha 2 stroke 2hp motor. Their 9.5' Captains Gig topped out at 7.1 mph. The smaller 8' Nisqually reached 7.9 mph. They note that the operator had to move forward and use a tiller extension to get there and that someone heavier than the testers 165 lb would be slower. They felt a more reasonable speed with someone sitting aft might be 5.5 - 6.5 mph.

Neither of these are the 10-14' GH boats that we have discussed but I would imagine that my Torqueedo would likely push a 10' Navigator comfortably at 5.5 mph.

The 12' Pt. Defiance looks like a great boat but I don't know that it could be modified to be nested and it would likely be too big to fit comfortably on my boat deck.
Dave,
Re the Gig Harbor "tests" I really doubt any of those numbers are practical numbers. The 9.5' Captains Gig would be most likely to go faster as it has a flatter bottom. A tender at work and a manufacturers stunt are two different things. I've seen 12' boats on a full plane w a 5hp OB.

The Point Defiance is a big 12' rowboat. It's setup for tandem rowing and is also offered as a sailboat. GH dosn't offer any dimensional specs but if you're interested I'll measure mine for you. You'll probably need to call them for the weight though. I admired this boat before I had t in the water but since I have I now "love" the Defiance.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #28
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Dude,
Are you referring to the 10' yellow dink in my pics? That boat is light. Only about 75 or 80lbs. It's not hard to haul it up to the point where the bow stem is about 22" above the roof "eve" but beyond that point on it's very difficult and dangerous. After 4 or 5 haulups I quit doing it. Had the boat on the house for some time after that as a life boat.

Eventually got a rubber duckie. But it's nearly worthless on the water.


The 12' Point Defiance is very heavy .. I'm guessing 150 to 180lbs. It will not be a dinghy. I may try towing it for some local trips but it's FD and would be well above her hull speed behind Willy at her 6 usual knots. IMO dinghys need to be SD or planing hulls to be towed well above their hull speed.

Yes I was talking about the yellow dingy. Thanks.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #29
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,671
GIG Rowing Boats as Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
I have never seen one in person and have no affiliation at all but I think the PT11 is one of the best looking nesting, rowing, sailing dinghy around and is reported to have very good performance. It looks like it has less rocker and flatter bottom overall than the more traditional styled dinks.

Attachment 59717

Attachment 59718

I am sure I have posted this before and I swear I have nothing to do with the company but I am just smitten with the design. Unfortunately I can't justify building one either as I already have a laser, 420, canoe and multiple kayaks but my inflatable is the only dinghy that can handle my family of 5 at once.

I agree that the PT11 looks like a great boat and has one of the slickest nesting system I have seen. The disadvantage for me is that it is a kit and I honestly don't have the time to devote to building it. If I was retired I would definitely consider it. There is always the possibility of paying someone to build it for me however.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamdouglass View Post
Although I have an RIB on the back of my Trawler now. When I owned a sailboat many moons ago I had a Minto as my tender. It didn't have a sail package but it was a beautiful rowing dingy. It is 9' in length.



You can look at it here: Minto Sailing Dingy History

Yup. A Minto was a very common tender when I was a kid and it was the first boat my folks bought when they had a young family. I learned to sail and race in a Minto when I was 5 years old. Great little boats and if I recall there are two places making them again, one in Olympia and another in BC.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #31
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Dave,
Re the Gig Harbor "tests" I really doubt any of those numbers are practical numbers. The 9.5' Captains Gig would be most likely to go faster as it has a flatter bottom. A tender at work and a manufacturers stunt are two different things. I've seen 12' boats on a full plane w a 5hp OB.

The Point Defiance is a big 12' rowboat. It's setup for tandem rowing and is also offered as a sailboat. GH dosn't offer any dimensional specs but if you're interested I'll measure mine for you. You'll probably need to call them for the weight though. I admired this boat before I had t in the water but since I have I now "love" the Defiance.

Thanks Eric. I have the advantage that GHBW is less than a 1/4 mile from my marina. I will go down and talk to them and see if they have some boats that I can test out.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks Eric. I have the advantage that GHBW is less than a 1/4 mile from my marina. I will go down and talk to them and see if they have some boats that I can test out.
I have hade some years experience with two of the GH boats The 17 ft Jersey skiff and now the 15 ft lobster boat. I have found smaller hard hulled boats good for one person if you need more go to rib or larger hard boat. The 17 footer and their 16 footer with moving seat relatively stable and good rower good for two or more if needed. the 15 ft lobster boat with a moving seat great exercise but a little slow for rowing but much better motor boat and greater stability almost matching rib. The 17 ft JS not really meant for power both boats can be had with CB and sail rig both pricy. Both are on the heavy side. Good quality.
__________________

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×