Gig Harbor Memorial Day Random Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Gig Harbor Labor Day Random Thoughts

We were at Arabella's Landing in Gig Harbor over Memorial Day weekend and there were quite a few interesting boats, including several tugs that had come from the tugboat races at Olympia's Harbor Days.

We arrived into Gig Harbor was during an epic rainstorm - the water was just boiling with rain (rare in the PNW). I actually used my wiper (one pass) for the first and only time this summer (I might have mentioned previously that I'm a fan of forward-raked windows!).

A short while later the Reliable came into the marina and maneuvered smartly into their slip. That evening the skipper came over to my boat and we ended up talking for quite a while before going back to his boat for a tour. Can you guess what he wanted to talk about? His first question was "how do you get your wife to go boating with you?". It turns out his wife is a bit reluctant (I had already noted the lack of railings on the aft deck).

OK, take a look at his tug. 1942 steel Army tug, built by Burger (yes, the yacht builder) and powered by an 871 - which he used to win the tugboat race! The tug is in fantastic shape and has been modernized a bit - he even added a head. It's in the engine room outboard of the engine and under the side deck. It is, of course, a bit warm in there under way...and you have to wear ear protection as you squat next to the "screaming jimmy". I think I identified another Wife Acceptance Factor.

Also in the marina was the West Wind (which we talked about a couple of months back). He also came by for a tour of the Reliable, and though the West Wind has been in his family for something like 25 years he is indeed selling it because they don't use it enough.

On the way out of Gig Harbor we encountered the Joe coming in, and our next destination was Dock Street Marina (at the Tacoma Museum of Glass) where we arrived on Labor Day evening and had pleasure of the outside 60' slip and a very quiet marina.

Heading back into the locks the next day we encountered the Lady Washington coming out - I haven't seen her on the water before. And when we rose to the top of the large lock, we encountered a Samoyed that turned out to be our Keili's grand-daughter! What a small and wonderful world it is.

Everything wasn't perfect though - despite a completely benign weather forecast it was blowing like snot in Lake Washington as we made our way home!

Attachments

• GigHarbor.jpg
    GigHarbor.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 88
  • ReliableDocking.jpg
    ReliableDocking.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Reliable.jpg
    Reliable.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 81
  • WestWind.jpg
    WestWind.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Joe.jpg
    Joe.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 88
  • DockStreet.jpg
    DockStreet.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 83
  • LadyWashington.jpg
    LadyWashington.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87
  • LadyWAPassing.jpg
    LadyWAPassing.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 91
  • SammysLocks.jpg
    SammysLocks.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 77
  • LaborDayWind.png
    LaborDayWind.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
That's quite an interesting collection of boats in those photos.

Hmmmm, this guy on Reliable can't figure out why his wife won't go with him when the head is in the engine room? He may be a nice guy but he's clueless about what women want in a boat. That's HIS boat and will never be THEIR boat.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Hmmmm, this guy on Reliable can't figure out why his wife won't go with him when the head is in the engine room?
The funny thing is, we talked for an hour about that...and when I told my wife about it, she said "why is he asking you? did he ask her?". Um, I dunno - it never seemed to come up in our conversation!

Great post Refugio. Just curious where you got the wind speed observation picture. I'm always looking for a place to find current conditions.

Thanks

Great post Refugio. Just curious where you got the wind speed observation picture. I'm always looking for a place to find current conditions.

Thanks! I wish there were a way to thread images as well - I used to put them on my we server and then reference them but that's too cumbersome.

The wind is from Windfinder app for IPhone. It's really for windsurfers looking FOR wind rather than us Mariners trying to avoid it, but I like it better than the other weather apps.

Thanks Refugio, just what I was looking for.

We'll be in Gig Harbor Thursday on our way to Longbranch for a Trawler Crawler cruise next weekend. We usually stay at the public dock as it is close to town and free.

We'll be in Gig Harbor Thursday on our way to Longbranch for a Trawler Crawler cruise next weekend. We usually stay at the public dock as it is close to town and free.

Check out the Skansie net shed:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411318941.405839.jpg
Have brunch at Net Shed #9:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411318998.244829.jpg
Get fresh baked goods at Suzanne's and snag some of the amazing grapes lining the deck;
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411319390.244958.jpg
No fuel or groceries downtown , though both are coming next year (fingers crossed)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411319466.942075.jpg

Nice photos. Looking at this one, it appears that there must not be very good visibility from the helm with that freeboard. And finally, I get to see a good profile of Refugio.

Attachments

• WestWind.jpg
    WestWind.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom