Getting weird with my search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Standing by... :blush: We have a lovely /huge / lifetime of cruising "CE rating B" opportunity here in the PNW. Let me know when you get it perfect. I will step in with a lowball offer and a smile!

And just to be clear, the lowball will be resource driven (mine). Not based on the value of the boat!

Standing by... :blush: We have a lovely /huge / lifetime of cruising "CE rating B" opportunity here in the PNW. Let me know when you get it perfect. I will step in with a lowball offer and a smile!

I can donate it to various non-profit organization too.
I am in the Miami area so dont forget to include shipping and handling.

I can donate it to various non-profit organization too.
I am in the Miami area so dont forget to include shipping and handling.

So I should offer less? :socool:

Just pulling your leg... These ATs are in high demand, at least up in the PNW.

You could probably put a sign on it and it would be sold by lunchtime if you priced it right. They really are perfect for our waters. AT and NT both... the only complaint I have ever heard from an actual owner was along the lines of: "It was perfect for the great lakes, and my half loop, but I want something more open now that I am in Florida"

Not really a complaint even - more like a "Why I am selling her" comment. I self edited for once and didn't mention skin cancer. Oops, I just mentioned it didn't I!!

So I should offer less? :socool:

Just pulling your leg... These ATs are in high demand, at least up in the PNW.

You could probably put a sign on it and it would be sold by lunchtime if you priced it right. They really are perfect for our waters. AT and NT both... the only complaint I have ever heard from an actual owner was along the lines of: "It was perfect for the great lakes, and my half loop, but I want something more open now that I am in Florida"

Not really a complaint even - more like a "Why I am selling her" comment. I self edited for once and didn't mention skin cancer. Oops, I just mentioned it didn't I!!

In FL they want more open? Go sit in the sun deck or buy an AT with a fly bridge then install a bimini and complain about no A/C on the fly bridge. Or open all the windows and doors. Oh forgot, turn off the ACs so they can realize the full benefit of being outside.
To quote my lovely Scottish grandmother, "Some people would bitch if they were hung with a new silk rope." Just cant make all people happy. :banghead: :facepalm:

That brings up a good point; two of your random picks had flying bridges, the other three did not. to have or not to have this can bring up a huge debate on forums like this, but just be sure whether or not you really want this. One of the cons of the bridge is dual controls; roughly twice as much helm equip to maintain....
If you elect not to have the bridge, it helps to have a boat with a true pilothouse and side doors that give quick access to outside when docking, etc....
I know many boaters with flying bridge love them and I don't knock them for that. We just love our high and comfortable indoor pilot house. Also, some of us "of a certain age" begin to have more visits to the dermatologist ;)

That brings up a good point; two of your random picks had flying bridges, the other three did not. to have or not to have this can bring up a huge debate on forums like this, but just be sure whether or not you really want this. One of the cons of the bridge is dual controls; roughly twice as much helm equip to maintain....
If you elect not to have the bridge, it helps to have a boat with a true pilothouse and side doors that give quick access to outside when docking, etc....
I know many boaters with flying bridge love them and I don't knock them for that. We just love our high and comfortable indoor pilot house. Also, some of us "of a certain age" begin to have more visits to the dermatologist ;)

Yep - not to mention windage when docking and maneuvering at slow speeds in tight quarters. I just had something cut off last week, so I know what you are talking about when you mention the Derm... As I say, "My people are from the north..."

You are not helping me bust away from my two model obsession (NT /AT) which is actually a one model obsession since I haven't yet found an AT that I can afford, and "oldDan1943" above isn't ready to give me his yet. Something about a non-profit...

For all of the reasons you have stated, and more, my first choice is still an NT 32/34 set up for PNW cruising. And... they seem to not make it all the way to the brokers. They get snapped up by friends and family and... Ahem, people on trawler forum and other forums.

So, put the word out my friendly army of searchers!!!

Don't forget the Nordic Tug 26. The biggest 26 there is & a truly great boat. If you can get on one you'll be amazed at the room inside. And it's trailerable!

Don't forget the Nordic Tug 26. The biggest 26 there is & a truly great boat. If you can get on one you'll be amazed at the room inside. And it's trailerable!

Carl - thanks for commenting.

'tis where we started. Very cool boats. They are way bigger than they seem from the outside. But... not big enough for our "program" We have climbed the size / space ladder in the sailing world 23, 32, 36 until we seemed to have found the smallest boat we could comfortably live on for a couple weeks cruising. I know, spoiled, first world problems. (Wife says "size does matter")

And - though fair weather sailors / boaters for the most part, we do occasionally get into some snotty stuff in the PNW ~ particularly when wind is opposed to waves. There are some "real" straights to be crossed etc. A little more size and weight seems to go a long way in convincing me/her that we are uncomfortable rather than in danger. If that makes any sense at all... (Captain (me) says size does matter a little.)

So - I spent a LONG time convincing the admiral that a N-32 was just big enough for our program, and that the ease of handling, maintenance etc. (my job) was a good trade off for the occasional wish that we had a bigger boat. (Ok, size matters, but there is such a thing as too big.)

Lastly - Why not bigger still? Boating has made me a pretty strong proponent of the "solve for the majority of use case rather than the exception" rule. eg: I am willing to charter something bigger if we end up doing an extended cruise with more people rather than buying, maintaining and managing a bigger boat. It is mostly the two of us if we are overnight. Occasionally an adult kid joins us. So the sleeper in the main salon should do the trick. We are going to crew on a friends big, juicy, decadent Tartan 4300 for 90 days up the inside passage if covid ever goes away / my health holds out, so I don't imagine we will ever take our NT -32 (See what I did there, haven't found one yet...) North of the tip of Vancouver island. Still feeling like it, or an AT are about right for us.
(Uh...I think I am going to leave my slightly off color comments off this one. It could get weird.)

Yep -

You are not helping me bust away from my two model obsession (NT /AT) which is actually a one model obsession since I haven't yet found an AT that I can afford, and "oldDan1943" above isn't ready to give me his yet. Something about a non-profit...

LOL fine, you want to buy my boat with a few desired unfinished projects, $400K. Shipping not included.
Any unfinished projects will not affect the boat's ability to pass survey.
LOL that unrealistic $400K price should discourage you.
I suggest, recommend, encourage you to go visit AT on the west coast. I suspect they might have a 34/36 or 41 "used" at their dock. You will never know unless you visit them.
As you pointed out, even the used ATs are not cheap so bring LOTS of money.

Last edited:
LOL fine, you want to buy my boat with a few desired unfinished projects, $400K. Shipping not included.
Any unfinished projects will not affect the boat's ability to pass survey.
LOL that unrealistic $400K price should discourage you.
I suggest, recommend, encourage you to go visit AT on the west coast. I suspect they might have a 34/36 or 41 "used" at their dock. You will never know unless you visit them.
As you pointed out, even the used ATs are not cheap so bring LOTS of money.

$40,000 seems quite reasonable to me... Please sign here, and here. Fumbles for reading glasses... Damnit!

Yes - AT and NT are "up the street from me" a pleasant 90 minutes north of Seattle. Damned Covid or we would be up there for sure. I have looked at their brokerage site. More $$$ than I have to spend on this toy.

Last edited:
$40,000 seems quite reasonable to me... Please sign here, and here. Fumbles for reading glasses... Damnit!

Yes - AT and NT are "up the street from me" a pleasant 90 minutes north of Seattle. Damned Covid or we would be up there for sure. I have looked at their brokerage site. More $$$ than I have to spend on this toy.

Yea, you better find your reading glasses!

Call them and see how they can accommodate you.
Maybe they will let you walk the docks and look inside the boats.

Yea, you better find your reading glasses!

Call them and see how they can accommodate you.
Maybe they will let you walk the docks and look inside the boats.

Actually, that is a very good idea. (Call AT, not the reading glasses) We are going to be up that way tomorrow. I will give them a call today! Thanks for weighing in.

Actually, that is a very good idea. (Call AT, not the reading glasses) We are going to be up that way tomorrow. I will give them a call today! Thanks for weighing in.

Let us know what you learned and saw.
I know they are busier than a one-armed paper hanger, building new boats.

An ad for an NT 37 just went up here in the forum. If your boat search is flexible you might want to take a look... it’s priced at 300K Canadian, so substantially less in US dollars

we were able to tour both american tug and nordic while the factorys were closed. Nice since it was so quiet. They are likely working again but i am sure they would accommodate you.

Carl - thanks for commenting.

'tis where we started. Very cool boats. They are way bigger than they seem from the outside. But... not big enough for our "program" We have climbed the size / space ladder in the sailing world 23, 32, 36 until we seemed to have found the smallest boat we could comfortably live on for a couple weeks cruising. I know, spoiled, first world problems. (Wife says "size does matter")

I totally get your point but check this out:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/nordic-tugs-2-26-cruise-tug-3516976/
You could buy this, head down to the Keys, then head over to the Bahamas for the winter & when you feel like it trailer her back to the PNW. Now that would be fun!

I totally get your point but check this out:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/nordic-tugs-2-26-cruise-tug-3516976/
You could buy this, head down to the Keys, then head over to the Bahamas for the winter & when you feel like it trailer her back to the PNW. Now that would be fun!

Good looking boat! Only a couple 26' up here for sale. We have been on them at leas 2-3 times re-asking the question: "Could we?" and I think it is still a no...

Too old for the tiny house!

I bet she sells fast though!

An ad for an NT 37 just went up here in the forum. If your boat search is flexible you might want to take a look... it’s priced at 300K Canadian, so substantially less in US dollars

Thanks Sue - on it!! I also know there are a bunch of people with 32' looking to move up, so maybe we will see some action here soon.

we were able to tour both american tug and nordic while the factorys were closed. Nice since it was so quiet. They are likely working again but i am sure they would accommodate you.

Ah, but then I would be tempted to buy new!

We are working on getting a tour going at some point. Thanks!

This might be a pretty good deal:
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/nordic-tugs-32-3556921/

I believe that price converts to less than $89,000.

It is indeed. This little gem in the add: "Selling AS IS......Wet areas Salon Deck"

makes it a poor candidate to ship across the entire country, but for someone with the DIY knowledge this boat is a tremendously good price. Believe me, I looked at it - even priced out the repair and shipping. Chester Connecticut --->Seattle Washington is a long drive! It makes sense occasionally to ship them back and forth, but not this one.

Thanks for looking for me though!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom