Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #61
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
RE: Getting Used to Fear

Gonzo ;* Do you have substanial cleats, on either side of the bow, and*not associated with your Sampson Post that you can tie two bridle lines to? Chain hooks from either side on 20 -25 feet of rope is very simple and keeps your center line clear and safe for other anchor raising chores. Just start anchoring and you'll figure it out. As mentioned, unless designed for the task, your windlass should*not be the*load/tie point
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #62
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Yes we do, but you're missing the point. We already HAVE a v-snubber/bridle rig, but I don't want to use it just to set the anchor or just to anchor for short periods. We'll use THAT for overnight stays, etc.

I'm asking that since the windlass is between the sampson post and the bow rollers (see pic on page 5), what is the best way to route a SINGLE snubber line (that I still need to make) around the windlass? Or even if I should.

Well, and how can you tell what the bottom is like before you drop anchor.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #63
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

In the old days a lead weight was used with a hole full of grease in the end. You would drop it over and sample the bottom by what stuck to the grease.

Now a days you could dive or drop a camera over to have a look see.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #64
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Getting Used to Fear

SteveI spent a total of fifteen months in LA post Katrina, working for FEMA. I arrived in Baton Rouge two weeks after the storm. I then worked in Raceland, on Hwy 1, then Breau Bridge, and a stretch in Lake Charles. I went back Sept. '06, and worked all over the state, with about four months in New Orleans. I had Grand Isle as part of my turf for a while, which required my visiting the island once or twice a week. Pretty cool place. I sure hope the Deepwater Horizon leak doesn't destroy your coast.
Carey

Here's a few more photos from that experience.

First photo was taken in SW Mississippi. FEMA trailer and Rolls.
Second photo is a bridge over the bayou. Note the sign warning of the bridge condition.
Third photo is one of the many Mardi Gras floats on Canal St.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 30th of April 2010 11:21:01 AM
Attached Thumbnails
dscn1542.jpg   dscn1210.jpg   25oct24-ghetto-fabulous.jpg  
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #65
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Gonzo* From about the age of 13 on, I fretted I would die before I lost my virginity. Just toss the hook and get with it! It will all work out.

With the right anchor, the type of bottom doesn't matter. My V bridle is set by my wife in about 90 seconds. For God's sake Gonzo, just DO IT!!!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #66
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Yes, Gonzo. Just do it!!
Carey,
Great pictures. I guess you noticed we are a very interesting bunch down here
I can't believe this oil has reached this far already. OK- back to the topic. Go for it Gonzo! Drop that anchor, go to sleep and give us an update!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #67
Guru

Jeez... FINE you guys As soon as we get back to the Neuse we'll start. Part of the issue is the dog. The Carbon Wife Unit will not let us attempt it if the dog is with us.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #68
Scraping Paint

City: -
Getting Used to Fear

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

Part of the issue is the dog. The Carbon Wife Unit will not let us attempt it if the dog is with us.
Whenwe bought the GB we had a dog named RJ who went out on the boat every time we took it out until he passed on.* Two years before he died we got a puppy of the same breed, and since he was eight or nine weeks old, he, too,*has gone with us every time we have taken the boat out.* Underway, both dogs were mostly bored* (see first photo) *until we got to where we are going at which point they got all excited because they each knew what the dinghy is and that it means they got to go ashore to explore*and play.

RJ is gone now but Albi continues the boating tradition.* After all, it's HIS boat (see second photo of him being ferried back to his "yacht").

So I have to ask...... what is your wife's concern about anchoring out with the dog on board?

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 30th of April 2010 06:31:19 PM
Attached Thumbnails
albirj.jpg   abi@prevost1.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #69
Guru

LMOA... That second pic is the greatest boat and dog pic EVER!

We don't have a very good way to get TiVo off the boat and into the dinghy. Getting him back on would be even more of a challenge. (to her) It's a high reach while someone stands in the dink and she's just scared to try it. It's a sundeck trawler so the access to the swim platform is only by ladder. ON top of that, the dink is Weaver davited (davited? NEW WORD!) She's also worries he will need to poop in the middle of the night. There is so much to say, but you get the picture. She does not want to screw with it... So we don't. I have insisted that we try, but she'll have none of it. It's a battle I do not wish to wage... So we move on.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #70
Scraping Paint

City: -

Well, I can understand your wife's concerns. I don't know how big TiVo is, but the breed we have (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) typically weighs between 40 and 50 pounds. It's the smallest of the retriever breeds, about the size of a Border Collie. This plus the relatively short lift from the swimstep to the aft rail makes it easy to get Albi in and out of the lowered Livingston which is still attached to the swimstep with the Weaver davits so is very stable.

Also, while both dogs didn't like to do it, they were both willing to go on the deck if required. We never scolded them, of course. In fact we encouraged it when Albi was a puppy but he later developed an aversion to going on the deck unless he really has to.

But when we reach an anchorage and anchor or moor up to a buoy, the first thing that happens is the Livingston goes down and the dog goes ashore. He goes in and out with us during the course of the day, and at night I take him in for his last run about 2100. The next morning he either gets us up to take him in or he waits until we take him in about 0800.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #71
Guru

That might be interesting to look at, but TBH, I am really not in the market for a new hook just yet. There are more pressing projects that need our wallet's attention Still, I'd like to see it.

tobeaty at gmail dot com
Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #72
Guru

I use a little piece of artifical turf on the deck. Works great (Washdown) Outside is outside the cabin. Good Girl. Want a cookie?

SD
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #73
Guru

Getting Used to Fear

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

I use a little piece of artifical turf on the deck. Works great (Washdown) Outside is outside the cabin. Good Girl. Want a cookie?

SD
We still talking about your dog?

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 3rd of May 2010 10:19:33 AM
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #74
Guru

I think so.
Wait a sec. Let me check.

Yep it was the dog.

SD
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #75
Guru

**UPDATE**

I wanted to give you a quick update as to how things are going. We have just finished our first "cruise". We moved the boat from New Bern to Carolina Beach, NC Easter weekend. We stayed at a very nice marina there for a month (Joyner Marina) on the weekends, then we spent n eventfull last week bringing her back to her home slip. Some of the fear has been tamed, and yet, been replaced by frustration.

There is, however, more good news than bad news. Having learned what we did about planning a trip such as this, we worked a lot of buffer time into the trip. Good thing too. We woke up Monday with plans to make way only to find a terrible weather day. Or at least what was SUPPOSED to be a bad-weather day. The morning looked like crap so we decided to stay until it was predicted to clear up on Tuesday afternoon. Well, we were able to get a good suntan Monday afternoon thanks to all of that. So when we left on Tuesday afternoon when it was predicted to clear up, we were able to get more practice navigating in the driving rain. Oh well... We had a very good dinner in Surf City anyway.

The next day had us wake to patchy fog. We didn't let it delay us too much because it was still light enough for us to still navigate. Once it cleared we decided to press forward to Beaufort instead of stopping for the night in Swansboro. About mid day, we thought it still would be nice to stop and let the dog pee at Casper's in Swansboro, so we pulled up for a quick breather. Well... Skinny Dippin' refused to restart. I suppose it was lucky that it did this at a boatyard. The mechanic that was working on someone else's boat managed to help us get it restarted and we pressed on to Morehead City. We changed our final stop because we did NOT want to be stuck in the high rent district of Beaufort with a boat that may not restart. So we opted to stay at our favorite marina in Morehead.

We hoped Skinny Dippin' would give us just ONE MORE fire on Thursday to get us home, but it was not going to happen. And of course, it happened with friends and family on board. The starter had failed. We pulled it off and were able to get the starter to a rebuild place that really came through for us. Neuse Starter and Generator rebuilt our starter in one day for $117.00!! Once the new starter was in place, we quickly realized that it was one of the primary electrical problems we have had for six moinths. So part of the fear of losing starting power when we anchor out for the first time has really been put to rest.

Still, the whole ordeal has its moments of anxiety and near meltdown. I got frustrated with things quickly. I think it was somewhat compounded by the fact that my family had shown up for a day of boating, only to find a broken boat and angry owner. Too, I was able to really deal more with the single-digit depths this time. I have learned to trust that seeing a 6 or 7 on the sounder still means I have enough water and not the other way around.

I feel like I have come a good ways this month, but know I still have a ways to go. We had a blast with this and we know far more now than we both did just a month ago. We met a lot of good people in that time and hope to meet more in the future. Thanks to y'all for helping and listening to these rantings.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #76
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Glad to hear things worked out. Thanks for the update!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #77
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Hi Gonzo, sounds like you inherited the same issue we did. Worn out starter motor. Early on after buying our Clipper (CHB) 34, we were out on our shakedown cruise and started having trouble getting the starter motor to kick in. I found I could usually get it to go if I got the SO to turn the key while I tapped madly at the region of the solenoid on the starter motor, which on the Lehman 120, as you would know, is on the left front of the engine, so the floor had to come up for this. Well doing it at your leisure, and when not entertaining - or encountering nasty weather, is one thing, but when it happened one night when we anchored in serene calm, only to be caught in an unforecasted Southerly buster, dragging anchor on a lee shore and down to 1 metre depth, (at 0.6m I'm touching bottom), with white water breaking round us....well that was another matter....
Imagine, dragging anchor - dark as pitch and pouring with rain with be-all visibility, also no GPS at that time, and the damned starter decided to hissy-fit again. Up with the floor - tap tap tap - finally, with great relief, it started. The rest of the ride out after upping anchor, (another time the plough was letting us down, incidentally), and then navigating to shelter just using barely visible lit beacons - well it was quite exhilirating actually, (adrenaline probably), but the starter issue I could have done without. First job after that - reconditioned starter motor. Starts first blip every time now. The anchor - that's another story - see the thread on the '4 best innovations'.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #78
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

For those of you with Lehmans, American Diesel sells complete spares kits. One for coastal cruising and another for extended cruising. I accumulated the latter over time. Spare starter, RW pump, FW pump, injector pipes, starter, etc. They will send you the lists if you want, so you can inventory what you have / need. Even if you're broken down in port, you'll have the spares right at hand rather than having to wait for them.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #79
Guru

I called the guy at the starter place just yesterday to see if he can get his hands on another one so I can always have a spare with me from now on.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #80
FF
Guru

If you have the save the space its far better to purchase a removed engine , just like yours.

A couple of hundred bucks (at most) will provide a couple of thousands of bucks worth of usable parts.

IF our 6-71 dies , the replacement only needs hoisting.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote