Old 03-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Trawler training

Looking for some good options for trawler training in the Tampa St.Pete, FL area. Prefer one on one with a capt experienced with single engine trawlers. I'll provide the boat.

I've checked out a few local schools, and fine for the classroom stuff. Also, have a few good instructor, but not local.

Also, asking around from brokers, fishermen, charter captains, etc.

Ideas or recommendations?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #2

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
I would not limit your search to power schools. One of the best small boat handling instructors I ever found was in a sailing school. He was magic with single prop sailboats in current, wind, and tight slips.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
I have a friend in the area who's an experienced captain and helped me bring my boat over to St. Pete from Cocoa. PM me and I'll give you info.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
We have done two training sessions. The first one was at Anacortes Yacht Charters here in Washington State. They have many weekend training courses on many different types of boats. We did a single screw trawler.

The second time was with a paid training capt. that came to our boat for the weekend and ran us through every part of our boat and then on the water training with me and my wife. He flys all over the US and Canada doing this work. Although, if he flys to you, you pay for his tickets and hotel... He is local to us. We found him at the Seattle boat show and really liked him. If you want his information, PM me and I will share it.

Honestly, both training weekends were WELL worth the money spent for both my wife and I. I have boated my entire life and learned a lot from both instructors.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
Capt. Bill should be along soon. He is from Sarasota.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I would really suggest to try and skip formal schools at first and just hire a captain recommended by someone in your marina for an afternoon. Bess and I paid a guy our broker reco'd $100 for a solid afternoon of goofing around on the river and it was plenty to get us going. Once you get the ball rolling with the basic concepts, it really is just a matter of experience and getting your muscle memory all trained up. No amount of training replaces that :-)
Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
$100 for an afternoon is pretty good.....

I would expect more like $200 -$300 per half day if the guy to totally indendent from a purchase deal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Local broker referred us to local shipwright/delivery skipper. He spent 2-3 hours with us getting a docking system working, cost $60. Absolute bargain.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
$100 for an afternoon is pretty good.....

I would expect more like $200 -$300 per half day if the guy to totally indendent from a purchase deal.
I would expect a minimum of $300 but more like $350-400 for an entire day.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I had a 24ft. Sea Ray Sundancer before I got the trawler. I was totally terrified to drive it. The first time I took it out, I had a captain no charge. A friend of a friend. He just wanted to spend a day on the water. He is in between boats.

Much to my shock, it is actually easier to drive the trawler than it was to drive the Sea Ray. The hard part for me was all the power systems, bow thrusters, etc. to learn. I'm getting the hang of not too much dock slamming anymore! I think that's an art! LOL!

Love the St. Petes area. I work mainly in Tampa. I'm sure you can get a dozen or so captains around there. Interview a few.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Guru

Absolutely....but half days are usually way more than half a full day as it is tough to fit 2 jobs in one day unless at the same marina and or town.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Look up Captain Chris in Florida
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #13
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I would really suggest to try and skip formal schools at first and just hire a captain recommended by someone in your marina for an afternoon. Bess and I paid a guy our broker reco'd $100 for a solid afternoon of goofing around on the river and it was plenty to get us going. Once you get the ball rolling with the basic concepts, it really is just a matter of experience and getting your muscle memory all trained up. No amount of training replaces that :-)
very good advice

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would expect a minimum of $300 but more like $350-400 for an entire day.
Band,

$400 a day would be dirt cheap for a good instructor. I'd be glad to pay double that, but I want the best. Someone who not only know, but knows how to teach, and teach my Admiral. If she can run the boat, life will be good.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I had a 24ft. Sea Ray Sundancer before I got the trawler. I was totally terrified to drive it. The first time I took it out, I had a captain no charge. A friend of a friend. He just wanted to spend a day on the water. He is in between boats.

Much to my shock, it is actually easier to drive the trawler than it was to drive the Sea Ray. The hard part for me was all the power systems, bow thrusters, etc. to learn. I'm getting the hang of not too much dock slamming anymore! I think that's an art! LOL!

Love the St. Petes area. I work mainly in Tampa. I'm sure you can get a dozen or so captains around there. Interview a few.
Donna,

If you know one, let me know. I've had several that "have had time on a boat", "have a captains license", "know how to teach" etc. I really want someone that has the experience, knows the boat and knows how to teach. Not easy to find. But let me know if you know one.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Good advise. I really have a pretty good handle on the basics, but want a bit more. Dealing with strong winds and currents, in close quarters. Fine tuning, and knowing when it just won't work.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Look up Captain Chris in Florida
I have, great guy, and I may have the opportunity to use him.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #18
Guru

Good that you recognize that many are not that good, even with recommendations from boaters that have limited experience with training captains.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #19

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Get in touch with Captain Chris and Alyse they are awesome! We spent three days with them and they are great teachers!

http://www.captainchrisyachtservices...tails.php?id=1
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #20
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
Get in touch with Captain Chris and Alyse they are awesome! We spent three days with them and they are great teachers!

Captain Chris Experienced Cruiser Training-Captain Chris Yacht Services
Very much in agreement with using Captain Chris (Caldwell) and his wife Alyse out of Vero Beach on the east coast of Florida. Had them out several times as well as taken one of Chris's Boat Systems courses. Course was great and on the water my wife learned as much from Alyse as I did from Chris. Not much about boats and boat handling he (and she) doesn't know. Unassuming, pleasant couple to be around. I will say that getting him scheduled can be a challenge as they are busy. Tried to get them for a day or two over the next few weeks and they are gone delivering and training for the next month. No association, just happy customers.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote