Old 01-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
In some ways it is a bit ironic this whole thread. Because for the old Clipper 34 I used to own, with no thruster, single engine, most of the suggestions are solutions to a problem I never had. Because I never tried to berth stern in, because stern out is so much easier to get out, especially if the wind is tricky, and berthing bow in is nearly always a cinch as well. Food for thought..?
Peter, That's been my experience as well!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3325.jpg  
Old 01-05-2022, 10:24 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I wonder if you could reproduce the scene using Boat Master (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/boat-master/id1349495816). The App has been a source of joy and education to my dear partner. Now known to yell "forward on port, now!" after attaching the stbd side stern line to the stbd tie finger. A fun game, but a very useful learning tool, with no actual risk of crunching the boat.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:42 AM   #43
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
If something doesn't work, try something else. A boat has a greater pivot radius when putting the spring line on the fwd or aft cleat. Above all, try to look cool when doing it.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
I read tons of good advice here, and have nothing to add other than thinking outside the box....

When we were living in the Med it was quite common for boats to use a neighboring boat for maneuvering. They would consider it quite acceptable to "lean on" a neighboring boat coming and going from a slip or harbor wall.

I have never done this, never needed to and my boat is not suited, but it may work for you:

How much unoccupied water lies between your boat and the boat that shares your slip? If sufficient and with permission of your slip neighbor (in the same wide slip) secure your boat to his fore and aft cleats with doubled lines.

Take you time and pull your 40+ footer towards his boat until you are snug against your/his large fenders. Note: if this is impossible due to the forces of nature or lack of windlass etc. then this will obviously not work.

Having pulled your boat laterally to the other side of the slip you are shielded from the wind somewhat and should easily be able to pull out either in forward or reverse (ie: drive forward into your slip as I think it would be easier to leave your slip in reverse). The trick as others have mentioned is the challenge of releasing the doubled up lines, but my thought is that when you are protected from the wind by your neighbor you may have enough time without rushing. This would be something to try as a dry run. Cast off both lines but keep the boat in neutral and see how much time you have to get back to the helm and regain control before your boat rafts up against your finger pier.

Finally you might also consider whether it is easier to back out than forward out.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #45
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Having never heard the term before reading this thread, I still don’t know what a “face dock” is…
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #46

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Spring line
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #47

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: JoAhna K
Vessel Model: 58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
Aft spring, you can get 90 to the dock if set the line right. Piece of cake.
trawlercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:08 AM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The solution might come to mind after a meal with wine.
Attached Thumbnails
st jorge wine.jpg  
Old 01-08-2022, 03:04 AM   #49
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Seevee, I assume there are no pilings between you and the boat with whom you share the slip. Is that correct? If there are pilings, and one is near the bow of your boat when docked, there is a technique that works well.

Not in this case, but post your solution please. Always like to have another idea in the back pocket.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:06 AM   #50
Guru

To me, a face dock is 90 degrees to a dock walk way. Like a "T" with extended horizontal ----- total open to the outboard side.
Exit using a fwd or aft spring line.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #51
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
To me, a face dock is 90 degrees to a dock walk way. Like a "T" with extended horizontal ----- total open to the outboard side.
Exit using a fwd or aft spring line.
with room for boats fore and aft. I was puzzled by OP use of word when stern in with wall behind and no dock/boat ahead but thought it was east coast lingo.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #52
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Somebody has to be at the end of a face dock.... ether where it turns or ends.

Then again with a boat next to you.... I would probably call it a "slip".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #53
Guru

If you have 2 or 3 ft between boats, with an experience captain captain and one or two line handlers, they can move the boat off the face dock and leave. A little more difficult to dock between boats without thrusters but, it can be done with spring lines. I dont want to try, I'm chicken
Old 01-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #54
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
If you have 2 or 3 ft between boats, with an experience captain captain and one or two line handlers, they can move the boat off the face dock and leave. A little more difficult to dock between boats without thrusters but, it can be done with spring lines. I dont want to try, I'm chicken
At least with twins in calm conditions, I've found the easiest way to get into a tight spot on a face dock with no thrusters is to 180 the boat into the spot. Approach facing the opposite direction you intend to dock, place the bow as needed and spin the boat into the spot (by the end it'll be pretty much sliding sideways into place).

It's a calm-ish conditions only maneuver though, as doing it too quickly will build too much sideways momentum that you can't stop, making it both hard to bail out of needed and meaning you're likely to have a very firm landing against the dock.

Get it right and anyone on the neighboring boats that doesn't realize what you're doing is going to have very large eyes (thinking you're about to ram them right before you start the spin), but the boat will pretty much just un-dramatically slide right into place against the dock, no spring lines or people on the dock needed. In calm enough conditions I expect you could back and fill that maneuver with a single, although I haven't tried.

That maneuver doesn't help getting out of the tight space though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #55
Guru

rslifkin, LOL you are cheating, you have two engines.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #56
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
rslifkin, LOL you are cheating, you have two engines.

Yeah, but no bow thruster. And a boat that pivots very far forward (so you basically place the bow and move the rest of the boat around it). So getting into a tight spot on a face dock is easy enough, but getting out with boats close in front and behind (especially with wind pinning us) is significantly harder than arriving.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #57

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
Quoted by SeeVee,"
The boat is stern in, side tie to starboard. Typically I can shove it off (at least the bow) and put the starboard engine in idle forward, and the port in idle reverse and it will twist the boat just enough to head straight out."

With the engines (gears) turning as you say, some boats will go sideways if you put the rudders hard over to stb. and varying amounts of throttle so no forward motion is gained.

My 46 with the keel will not, but that same combo will push the stern out. In combination with a fwd spring off the stern (ready to release) you may get the clearance needed to proceed.
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #58
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
At least with twins in calm conditions, I've found the easiest way to get into a tight spot on a face dock with no thrusters is to 180 the boat into the spot. Approach facing the opposite direction you intend to dock, place the bow as needed and spin the boat into the spot (by the end it'll be pretty much sliding sideways into place).

It's a calm-ish conditions only maneuver though, as doing it too quickly will build too much sideways momentum that you can't stop, making it both hard to bail out of needed and meaning you're likely to have a very firm landing against the dock.

Get it right and anyone on the neighboring boats that doesn't realize what you're doing is going to have very large eyes (thinking you're about to ram them right before you start the spin), but the boat will pretty much just un-dramatically slide right into place against the dock, no spring lines or people on the dock needed. In calm enough conditions I expect you could back and fill that maneuver with a single, although I haven't tried.

That maneuver doesn't help getting out of the tight space though.
Like this?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #59

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
SooValley, that only works on front wheel drive boats!
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1.0 View Post
SooValley, that only works on front wheel drive boats!
Steve, works with rear wheel drive cars. Slide over, buckle up and I will show you.