Getting to Green Turtle Cay to check on damaged boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cardude:

Any progress on arranging a visit to GTC?

I remain flabbergasted that your boat was upright and still sitting on the boatyard stands after the hurricane. How is that possible with the storm surge the Abacos experienced? Do you know if the storm surge on GTC was lower than the rest of the Abacos?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
Mrs Trombley

Sent you a PM.

I read this on another forum. This is especially sad reading about the regional wooden boat building and the regional builder and his boats that will be hard to replace if even possible.

I know that many people are fans of the lovely wooden sail and power boats built on the island of Man O War Cay in the Bahamas. I am here in the harbor of the island, after the passage of Hurricane Dorian, so I wanted to share the situation.

It appears that all of the wooden sail boats are damaged or sunk in the harbor. The schooner "William Albury" is sunk right off my bow as I write this, and the little Bahamian Sloop "Rough Waters" is sunk with a boat on top of it, adjacent to me. Off in the distance I see at least 4 Man o War sailboats blown ashore and damaged. I will go and photograph the various boats that are visible, when I have a chance, and post them on here.

So far I have not seen a single wood Albury runabout afloat either, so I dont have high hopes for them either.

This storm was as bad as it gets for destruction. Only a couple of boats survived afloat, all the rest dragged their huge concrete mooring blocks with them as the went ashore. The shoreline is littered with sailboats still attached to their moorings! Interestingly nearly every big catamaran is flipped upside down, not a great testimony for catamarans in high winds.

It is really sad that it looks like the wooden boats of this island were wiped off the map in one day, and the legacy of one of the great boatbuilding islands is destroyed. I will document the boats I can photograph as it is unknown what their fates will be.

I'm planning to get to GTC sometime this month. Was trying to wait until hurricane season was totally over to bring the boat back, but I'm also anxious to get the boat back to FL to the rigger to begin repairs.

I really need some good weather to cross back over however since I will be cruising on a bit of a disabled boat with no stability, radar, no good VHF antennae or AIS, and no solar backup for batteries.

I worry if I wait too long I will start to encounter more days with north winds in the GS, and with my broken boat I don't really feel like hanging out on anchor waiting forever. Also, I will have limited provisions because I will have to bring everything over with me since nothing available on the island.

Ideas? Go sooner rather than later?

Last edited:
Cardude, you need to bring us up to date. Did you get over to check her out? Is she back in the water? How are you getting over there?

I think the longer you wait, the fewer weather windows to cross the GS.

For sure the longer into the fall and winter season you wait, the more prone to the northeast winds you will encounter. If you are looking for some sort of "insurance" for making the crossing, maybe contact one of the tow boat outlets and see if they are doing any trips across with any of the boats, which will allow you to buddy boat across at the same time.

One thing that you should look into is if your fuel tank or tanks are sound and all the lines and fittings are in tack further from just inspecting them. If the boat bounced around on the hard then there may be some hidden issues even if the boat appears to be sound.

Will the yard be able to splash the boat?

Cardude, you need to bring us up to date. Did you get over to check her out? Is she back in the water? How are you getting over there?

I think the longer you wait, the fewer weather windows to cross the GS.

Wifey B: Did I miss something? :confused:

Sounds like some good news if he's talking about running it back. :)

I'm planning to get to GTC sometime this month. Was trying to wait until hurricane season was totally over to bring the boat back, but I'm also anxious to get the boat back to FL to the rigger to begin repairs.

I really need some good weather to cross back over however since I will be cruising on a bit of a disabled boat with no stability, radar, no good VHF antennae or AIS, and no solar backup for batteries.

I worry if I wait too long I will start to encounter more days with north winds in the GS, and with my broken boat I don't really feel like hanging out on anchor waiting forever. Also, I will have limited provisions because I will have to bring everything over with me since nothing available on the island.

Ideas? Go sooner rather than later?

I think I would try to go as soon as the boat can be splashed, for better weather. The little grocery stores on GTC may be open for provisioning. Surprisingly I think Maxwell's Supermarket on Marsh Island is open, but you probably don't want to go there.

David

Update is I have not been to the boat personally but had a friend aboard recently and he said all looks dry inside. I’m sure there will be some unseen issues I will run into however. I do have the broken mast, main sail and rigging to contend with and I’m hoping I can lash all that down somehow. Does that sound safe?

Yes yard can splash boats.

Insurance surveyor also has been there so I’m free to move. Have not settled with them yet. Need to get an estimate from the rigger in Stuart.

Hope I can shoot directly from West End to West Palm without fighting too much current. Would really like a calm day since I have no stability. Is the marina at West End still there?

Agree I need to get there as soon as I can. All the recent storms kind of had me on pause.

I made contact with a pilot that has been flying some supply runs over there and I think I can ride over with him and take some provisions.

Last edited:
Update is I have not been to the boat personally but had a friend aboard recently and he said all looks dry inside. I’m sure there will be some unseen issues I will run into however. I do have the broken mast, main sail and rigging to contend with and I’m hoping I can lash all that down somehow. Does that sound safe?

Yes yard can splash boats.

Insurance surveyor also has been there so I’m free to move. Have not settled with them yet. Need to get an estimate from the rigger in Stuart.

Hope I can shoot directly from West End to West Palm without fighting too much current. Would really like a calm day since I have no stability. Is the marina at West End still there?

Agree I need to get there as soon as I can. All the recent storms kind of had me on pause.

I made contact with a pilot that has been flying some supply runs over there and I think I can ride over with him and take some provisions.

Yes, Marina at West End is there. As I see it, the real test will be getting it running and then seeing about the trip to West End. If you can check it out and make it there, then crossing should be possible at a decent window.

You obviously believe it's operable. Does that mean no water got inside to the batteries or wiring or engines? Did the insurance surveyor check the engines and other?

Yes, Marina at West End is there. As I see it, the real test will be getting it running and then seeing about the trip to West End. If you can check it out and make it there, then crossing should be possible at a decent window.

You obviously believe it's operable. Does that mean no water got inside to the batteries or wiring or engines? Did the insurance surveyor check the engines and other?

Yes no water inside. Supposedly bone dry. Surveyor did not check the engines.

I’m sure I could find more problems after I splash and run the boat to check it out, and that’s a worry, but hopefully I can get lucky.

I’m hoping I can make it from West End to the Lake Worth inlet during daylight hours since I don’t have AIS or radar anymore. I usually anchor out at Mangrove and leave before daylight but don’t want to do that this time with no radar, mast lights, etc.

What else should I consider?

Yes no water inside. Supposedly bone dry. Surveyor did not check the engines.

I’m sure I could find more problems after I splash and run the boat to check it out, and that’s a worry, but hopefully I can get lucky.

I’m hoping I can make it from West End to the Lake Worth inlet during daylight hours since I don’t have AIS or radar anymore. I usually anchor out at Mangrove and leave before daylight but don’t want to do that this time with no radar, mast lights, etc.

What else should I consider?
A second seasoned boater to do watches with. How long is that passage? I am unfamiliar with the area and distances. I would check everything over several times and do a few test runs close to a place to haul out before making the run north to FL. People have made that crossing for hundreds of years without electronics. I would try to make the nav lights operable, even if it required some temporary wiring. If the engine is running fine make sure your alternator is charging the batteries. Take an electrical multimeter. Lots of fuel filters if there are none aboard. Maybe take a few in case someone pilfered yours. As long as you have clean fuel, cooling water, and 12v source, I think you'll do fine.

I’d bring a 4’ vhf antenna plus a new vhf. Better broadcast/receive than a handheld. Also an all around light case you have to anchor. You can jury rig something. Good luck.

Yeah I need to bring or rig up some kind of anchor light. Maybe I can just bring one of those yard solar lights and tie strap it to what’s left of the mast.

Also an aux antenna and some cable that I can rig up to my good VHF radio is a good idea. That way maybe my AIS will work also.

Last edited:
Congrats on the dry boat. Good luck bringing her back to Stuart.

Bill: Do you have BoatUS’ Gold Plan? I’m not saying you’re going to need it but based on weather and availability they could tow you back from West End if you had problems. Several years ago they towed a boat back from Bimini when we were there.

Bill: Do you have BoatUS’ Gold Plan? I’m not saying you’re going to need it but based on weather and availability they could tow you back from West End if you had problems. Several years ago they towed a boat back from Bimini when we were there.

Good point.

Don’t forget to file a float plan with the CG just in case. All the safety equipment necessary. Plan on things breaking down but have the wherewithal to repair those systems that might break.

I do have a current gold Boat US plan. They towed a boat all the way from the Bahamas?

Don’t forget to file a float plan with the CG just in case. All the safety equipment necessary. Plan on things breaking down but have the wherewithal to repair those systems that might break.

Oh, I’ve never filed a float plan. Good idea.

I do have all the safety equipment, new liferaft, etc.

Last edited:
I do have a current gold Boat US plan. They towed a boat all the way from the Bahamas?

Yes, that is why they charge you more for the gold plan. Boaters rarely use it, but when you need it, you need it.

David

Yes. The guy they towed called ahead of time trying to figure out his options. It sounds like availability and weather were the two drivers. We personally know of another boat that was towed from GHC to Bimini and BoatUS reimbursed him for the tow. We have the Gold Plan (BoatUS) and they’ll reimburse us for up to $3k outside their service area but you need to call them first.

Jack (Steve). New avatar, didn’t realize you were into hos before. :). I’ve put a few through medical school over the years.

when are you planning on going to get your boat?

Possibly next week.

I have a flight reservation on Silver Air from FLL to Treasure on 10/17, but would like to go before then if possible.

Yes, they can go to Treasure now. Then I have to take a boat across to GTC. I think a ferry is running now.

Yeah, this sounds better as far as time for sure, but don’t know if I can lug back a life raft and other big stuff, but will check.

Last I heard, all of the normal Albury ferrys are out of service.

One ferry is still running. Here is the schedule.

IMG_6944.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom