Getting Boat From NYC Harbor to Cayuga Lake, NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Hudson and Canals can definitely have debris, especially after heavy rains. But especially at 7 kts, as long as you keep an eye out, it's not a big deal. I only had 1 case of something that wasn't readily visible (led to a nice thump on the hull), but in that case, even right after the hit it wasn't visible, but also no damage.

In the spring there are more dead heads? as in more dead heads than any other time?? But why???

There's likely to be more debris early in the season from snow melt runoff, etc. Generally nothing of the scale of the logs and dead heads seen in the PNW though. In late July / early August I saw no debris at all in the Hudson and in the canals, only a few items (mostly stationary and easily avoided) that were more than a small piece of wood that would be harmless even at higher speed.

In the spring there are more dead heads? as in more dead heads than any other time?? But why???
Not truly dead heads but floating logs & branches. If there is even a breeze they become difficult to see. High water in spring or after heavy rains can put debris in the canal and requires a constant eye.
I would recommend a towing policy for the peace of mind. They are inexpensive vs even a simple tow if needed. Depending on your insurance policy sometimes adding unlimited towing may be less costly than a separate towing policy. Worth checking into at least. I don't bother around the Finger Lakes/ NY canals but do when cruising extended areas.

Mr Zoar:

I am in Essex,CT right down the river from Chester. I would offer my services to help you get aquainted with your Albin and the Lehmans. We are year round liveaboards on a 41' President with Lehmans. Send me a PM if I can help. We piloted our President from Michigan to Essex, enjoy the journey.

Ahhhh yes going to the Hudson via Harlem River instead of around Manhattan is most likely the course we will take. Thank you! That makes far more sense.

The other info you provided on times and layovers is useful, too. Thanks. I have not been to Oneida Lake in years but my father had a small fishing boat when I was a kid and I have many fond memories of fishing that lake on a boat. Saw my first dogfish there... I also recall when the wind came up that lake could get very choppy fast.

You're missing a great cruising opportunity if you've never done NYC before. The trip south then north around Manhattan is thrilling.

The low clearance is at the gate as you enter Cayuga. Cayuga and Seneca are gorgeous. We have a friend who taught at Cornell and had a blast tooting around the lakes on a friend of their's runabout.

You are getting a lot of good advice here and as a professional boating consulting and training captain, I am sure that I can provide you with excellent coaching and assistance. I've been through New York and LI many times on power and sail vessels in both directions and have been on the Hudson and through some of the New York and Canada locks and canals, as well as many other similar places. I will send you a PM thanks

If your nervous about locks remember that “if you can dock you can lock”.

I've done the Hudson from Troy to Oyster Bay several years ago. It's a fascinating trip. And if the timing works out I might be able to help you. I have a 50T Inland Master ticket. (And I can work real cheap!)

I know folks have suggested the Harlem River route, and yes, it is a shortcut from Hell Gate (if you can fit under the bridges), but making the trip around the tip of Manhatten is really awesome. So much to see. It can get a little bumpy, but only for a short period of time. Whichever way you choose, try to time it so the tide is in your favor. And yes, there is tidal activity (and the corresponding currents) all the way North to Albany.

I did some time on the Erie in 2018. Also a great experience. The "delivery schedule" mode is understandable, but please consider building in some buffer time to deal with the unexpected things that come up.

Just do it

If you are somewhat capable I would encourage you to captain the boat yourself. It's intimidating and overwhelming to think about but it's a protected route and not difficult with basic navigation skills. Last year I bought a boat on Lake Champlain and brought it home to Long Island Sound with my wife. This was our first power boat (35') moving from sail to power. We were experienced in cruising, but nothing of this magnitude. The locks are easy once you do one. Hell's gate is also easy, just time it correctly. Plan to arrive at high tide and you'll ride the currents in and out. Surprisingly, the Hudson river is affected by tidal currents all the way to Albany, so time that as best you can as well. Unless you are a novice, you should bite the bullet. It will be an amazing cruise and an experience you will be glad you accomplished.

The lock are nothing to be afraid of. The lockmasters are very helpful. Just pull in, hang on to side, and then pull out. Intimidating, yes. Difficult, no.

A few more tips

Done this trip 3 times and it is really easy. All the replies are good so not too much to add.
Suggest going thru Hell Gate at slack or near slack as the current is pretty strong at peak.
The Harlem R. is easy, but not very pretty. The RR bridge where you enter the Hudson is pretty responsive and usually just a short wait.
Beware of the locks on the Erie as they are in tough shape (as of 3 years ago). The lines that are hanging down are not attached at the bottom so compared to the locks in Canada and the Western Rivers they are not as easy to handle. Large fenders are a must as the lock walls are very rough. Last time I went through there were several locks with some lines missing and we had to hang onto a ladder. Also beware of Lock 13, the east side can have a wicked current as you enter from port to starboard.
Waterford is a great stop, free for 2 days but usually crowded. Water, electric, and pump out available. While in Waterford, Don & Pauls' Restaurant has good food cheap.

if you are going to go through NY, unless you are really pressed for time, why not circle Manhattan? Going under the bridges, statue of liberty, etc are amazing. Stay at Liberty Landing and take the ferry into the city for the night. Check out places like the Dead Rabbit and Fraunces Tavern. Nothing like them anywhere else in the country. I did the Champlain canal last year with no experience but not the Erie canal. Bring big fenders, a boat hook and a good set of gloves and it's really not hard to get through the canals. Enjoy the trip!

UPDATE!

Made the trip from Chester to Albany Yacht Club which is about as far as we could go because ERIE CANAL is still closed. It took 2 days plus 2 hours. We left Chester Wednesday late afternoon, arrived Friday evening 2 hours before sunset. Averaged 8.7 Knots. Trip was fantastic!

Now after the canal opens need to go from Albany Yacht Club to Ithaca on Cayuga Lake.

There is some stress testing going on some bridges Over on the west end Of the canal also in the future that may cause some delay.

FYI The corona virus impacting things quite a bit. So many places (Marinas, docking and mooring areas) were CLOSED. We kinda had to press on.

Definitely want to go with someone who knows the Eastern half of the Erie Canal to have options if things are closed and we have to change plans or find some place to stay for the night.

I am guessing 3 to 4 days to do this Albany Yacht Club to Cayuga Lake (Ithaca) trip.

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

I am guessing 3 to 4 days to do this Albany Yacht Club to Cayuga Lake (Ithaca) trip.

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Take a look at my Bacchus website " Cruising Notes" section. You will find NY Canal notes and a listing showing distances between ports.
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus
For a delivery type schedule I have done it with 3 Nts 4 days with stops at Schenectady YC, Utica (Aqua Vino), Baldwinsville. For a more relaxed schedule or congestion figure another night or two.
Active Capt is a good cruising aid and available for around $25 for all US for an annual subscription to Navionics. They do offer a free 30? Day trial as well. It's an app and works on cell phones & tablets and if you download the sections you will be cruising no inet connection required. It provides port / marina / lock wall info, services and reviews. If you need more info PM me your email and I can send a bit more info re how it works.
We have stayed at Canojaharie, Amsterdam, Litt.e Falls, Sylvan Beach and all were good stops... some w power others not.

You should figure 50 miles/day while locking through the Erie Canal. I would suggest going to canals.ny.gov, it will give you up to date alerts and information for the whole system. There are still locks that are closed along the way, some not opening until July

UPDATE!

Made the trip from Chester to Albany Yacht Club which is about as far as we could go because ERIE CANAL is still closed. It took 2 days plus 2 hours. We left Chester Wednesday late afternoon, arrived Friday evening 2 hours before sunset. Averaged 8.7 Knots. Trip was fantastic!

Now after the canal opens need to go from Albany Yacht Club to Ithaca on Cayuga Lake.

I just found this thread today.Glad to hear you made it that far. Before you start locking, make some fender boards. When you see how nasty the locks walls are, you will be glad you have them.

I have been up and down the Hudson a couple of times, it's an amazing cruise. I spent a night at Albany Yacht Club last year. Very nice people there. The canal is intersting and fun. I hope you can take it slow and enjoy a stop or two on the way through. I was a bit rushed when I did it west to east last year and I wish I;d made moire time to stop.

If you stop in Amsterdam, make it a point to explore the pedestrian bridge over the water. It's really neat.

Large ball fenders work fine instead of fender boards. Just plan to clean them off every day to keep from getting too much slime on the hull. I found the balls slid fine against the rough lock walls, no snagging concerns. And easier to deploy / retrieve than boards if you don't want to leave them down all the time. I left mine down in the slow sections, but anywhere I could get up and run the fenders got pulled up onto the side decks after every lock.

Yes, i hope we can enJOY. Less rush. And yes i plan to have "protection devices" against lock rash either boards or round balls.

You should figure 50 miles/day while locking through the Erie Canal. I would suggest going to canals.ny.gov, it will give you up to date alerts and information for the whole system. There are still locks that are closed along the way, some not opening until July
Actually there is one in the stretch west that's not scheduled to open until Aug 10th. .[emoji22]

Sam
Are you doing any interim trips over to the boat while stranded?

Actually there is one in the stretch west that's not scheduled to open until Aug 10th. .[emoji22]

Sam
Are you doing any interim trips over to the boat while stranded?
Yes. We are headed over soon. I need to be on it. Its beautiful. And yes i was aware of the Aug 10 date for when the length we need to open opens completely... and of course that is just an estimate. Reality could differ.

Attachments

• 20200530_114228.jpg
    20200530_114228.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200530_114524.jpg
    20200530_114524.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200531_081144.jpg
    20200531_081144.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 25
If you head over and Lk 7 is open but not further west you might check into Schenectady YC. They are between E-7 &E-8. We have stayed there several times and like the atmosphere. They do have a pool.
It would get you up through the flight of locks as an intro to locking.
I might be able / willing to do a short assist to get you up through or get you some extra hands I know in the area.
From there west it's fairly easy and single locks spaced out. You would be "stuck" there until E-12 opened but would also be a day and 7 locks experience under your belt.
Stay In touch if I can help.
Also if you are inclined to take a run up to Sampson SP near Ovid I'm happy to share, coaching, talk boats & locking, etc.

If you head over and Lk 7 is open but not further west you might check into Schenectady YC. They are between E-7 &E-8. We have stayed there several times and like the atmosphere. They do have a pool.
It would get you up through the flight of locks as an intro to locking.
I might be able / willing to do a short assist to get you up through or get you some extra hands I know in the area.
From there west it's fairly easy and single locks spaced out. You would be "stuck" there until E-12 opened but would also be a day and 7 locks experience under your belt.
Stay In touch if I can help.
Also if you are inclined to take a run up to Sampson SP near Ovid I'm happy to share, coaching, talk boats & locking, etc.

Thsnk you for the incites snd the offer. We will try to get up to Ovid. It is a short ride. the next few days are committed however I will PM to see your availability this week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom