Georgia Hell Gate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sledge

Vessel Make
American Tug 41
Heading north thru this hell gate in GA on the AICW this week. Was already planning on running thru on a rising tide. Several discussions talk about trying to get close to high tide, but it would really be helpful to know what are the actual low depths. Don’t want to wait a half day for Hi only to find out a rising tide at +2 ft is just fine, we draw about 5’

The problem is that the channel is narrow and the current pushes you around quite a bit. If you leave the channel at all, it's shallow enough that it's nearly dry during moon low tides.

It's been a couple years but it used to be "follow the magenta line, hug the green can as you round the north end of raccoon key, and then get back on the magenta line."

Good luck. It's not as scary as it's made out to be. Just pay attention.

Are you aware that it was dredge about a year and a half ago?

Nice. That's been since we were there. Disregard my last

I was through there with 5’ draft 2weeks ago. No problems in channel. I would suggest you get Aqua maps and add the $10 masters version - gives you the USACE sonar data displayed on your phone & tablet. Very useful for the AICW as it also has all the Waterways guide & Active captain info. Plus clicking on any icon gives you instant distance read out from your present position. I run it on my iPad at each helm alongside MFD with Navionics sonar.

Thx much for the response! I’ve had spotty internet access so hadn’t had chance to check all resources lately

Update: made it thru just fine this week. we were on a rising tide, say 2 hours after Low tide, the worst depth we saw was about 11 feet. It was pretty easy, you just have to stay in the channel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom