Old 05-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #21

City: North Jersey & Plattsburgh NY
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
You have to ask yourself why they are less expensive.
Or maybe you could ask why the others are more expensive?

Personally I think a lot of the extra money often goes to extra profit margin. Back in the day I had a Yamaha XS1100 bike (great bike & FAST for its time) that went thru batteries. Read an article that the entire world supply of that shape battery, no matter the brand, was made on one machine in one factory and everyone was having same trouble with those batteries. The factory insisted that there was nothing wrong with the machine but updated it any way. Every ones battery life improved dramatically.

So why were some people paying more for their batteries?

There are a lot of people out there trying to sell you less value for more money. Maybe 'you get what you pay' for should be 'you don't get more than you pay for but often less'?
AdkChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nope, all they have to do is fit the external dimensions. Few owners care about filter internals.

Where the liability comes in is for diesels under warranty and the owner chooses to use a non approved filter or lube oil. The Warranty can then be voided with the owner shouldering the liability.

But, on our low hour and seldom used recreational engines they will likely fail from something other than lubrication problems related to trying to save a few dollars on filters.
Thanks to the Moss Magnuson Act, the warranty can only be voided if the manufacturer can prove the failure was caused by the non-OEM filter. Manufacturers cannot force customers to use their filters under threat of voiding the warranty (unless they provide the filters for free, per the MM Act).
https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/o...uel-filters-2/

Cutting open a filter will yield a wealth of info, I do this routinely, I have a filter "can opener". I'd use the Yanmar filter this time, then when changing cut it open, then do the same for a WIX, my bet is the WIX is as good or better.

Having said all that, in warranty, it's probably best to stick with OEM filters, to avoid having a dispute.

Donaldson, btw, also makes outstanding filters.

I'm not vetting or endorsing this video, but it is interesting for the comparison of the internal parts alone. There are many similar videos on YouTube.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #23

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
For fuel and oil filters, I always look first for a matching NAPA Gold filter. I don't have any special knowledge that they're great, but I've always used them and never had any reason to doubt that decision. And they're WAY less expensive than the comparable Isuzu / Northern Lights part number.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
For fuel and oil filters, I always look first for a matching NAPA Gold filter. I don't have any special knowledge that they're great, but I've always used them and never had any reason to doubt that decision. And they're WAY less expensive than the comparable Isuzu / Northern Lights part number.
Agreed, NAPA Gold is a good filter, and that was my filter of choice, however, they are made by WIX so I simply migrated to WIX.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, FL
Vessel Name: Long Point
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 58
I had a Yanmar 315 diesel in my Mainship. This engine is a marinized Toyota Land Cruiser motor. I ordered my filters from the Yanmar dealer, and was surprised one time to receive a Toyota filter in a Yanmar box. My vote is if the filter is suitable for the engine, then it's suitable for the engine whether it's in a boat or a truck. It was the last Yanmar filter put on that engine, my local Toyota dealer was quite a bit cheaper.
donpjr is offline   Reply With Quote