Generator won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island15

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Missy
Vessel Make
CHB
Hello
Im looking for someone around LaConner to have a look at my Mase
generator. It has always run just fine but I used it very little, it would just start right up and run.
Tried to start it yesterday and it turns over but will not start. It hasn't been ran since December. I would like someone to take a look.
Any suggestion as to who I might call?
Thanks

Dont grind it unless you close the raw water sea cock or you may drown the engine.

Dont know where you are so cant hep with mechanic.

We have our work done by North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes - always very happy with them.

Try calling La Conner Maritime, if they are open during these times. They are a full service yard.

Sounds like a simple problem which shouldn't require a technician at $150 an hour.

Back to the basics.
Fuel? ON, filters clear
Battery? Fresh
Stop Solenoid ? Checked

pete

Thanks for the replies.
Fuel seems good, cranks over no problem, ran just fine about three months ago!
When I try to start it just cranks no fire what so ever seems like a fuel problem but I can hear the fuel returning to the tank so I think it must be getting fuel?
I'm no mechanic. Any ides would be appreciated? :banghead:
Thanks again

Assuming the Mase is something like an Onan, can you see if the fuel solenoid is operating?

The solenoid on our NextGen was stuck, not allowing it to start. It's happened a couple times now at the beginning of the season, after non-use through the winter. Had to wrap on it a few times with a small hammer to get it to let go.

Had the same solenoid problem on my Westerbeke. Can not remember if the engine cranked or not. Simple fix though - tap with a wrench and some WD40.
Never occurred again over 6 years .

Couple of things you can try on your own. If you have changed the fuel filter recently I would bleed it. I know it says the generator is self bleeding, but that's a bit optimistic. Also check all the electrical fittings to your sensors. On mine, the wire to the fuel sensor came loose and wouldn't allow the engine to start. Reconnected it, and voila, good to go.

Mase has a bunch of models using various engines. Also not many here state-side. Post what model it is and best a pic of the engine.

When my Westerbeke would not start after sitting six months in storage, I went through all of these cures. No joy. Turned out the compression was low on all three cylinders. 275 psi not enough to fire a 70F diesel. Even either did not work. Excessive carbon was the culprit with the rings bound to the pistons like glue. A compression test takes less than an hour. If compression is in spec, then it has to be fuel system related.

Last edited:
Engine is a Yanmar L70 AE has about 190 hours.
I tired tapping the solenoid no luck. All the wiring seem to be in good condition!
Trying to figure out how to post a pic.

Thanks again

So single cylinder air cooled? Check solenoid for power when cranking. Can you rotate engine by hand, like a pull starter? If so, you can feel for compression. Should feel a "hard spot" every two turns. No hard spot and it may have lost compression.

Be careful, too much cranking and you can get water backed up the exhaust. Turn sea cock off until you get it sorted.

Single cylinder gennies are notorious for getting water backed up the exhaust. Hopefully that did not happen.

This may not be relevant but my Northern Lights suddenly wouldn't start last summer. I had South Island Marine in Sidney work on it, turned out to have simply lost its prime for some reason. He bled the system and all was fine. We didn't find out why it did this but the gen is a long way from the tank (under the aft cockpit) so maybe that was it.

Sensor might be a problem

On my northern lights I have a least 3 sensors, 2 heat sensors and an oil sensors. Try jumpering your sensors and see if it will fire up.

drain the muffler after 3rd failed start.

Have someone attempt to start genny while you are watching fuel solenoid. If it is not physically moving the lever arm, you don't have fuel. Optionally, you can run hot lead to hot side of solenoid and see if the solenoid moves. If it doesn't, solenoid is bad, if it does with the hot lead, but not during the regular ignition sequence, then you have an electrical problem.

Have you verified that the fuel solenoid is physically moving?

call steve in la conner, does all our work, top notch 360-391-3620, shane

I am not familiar with your desiel engine, I believe you said it was a single cylinder? I unfortunately have a lot of experience with hard starts on my old ferryman.....do you have a glow plug?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom