Generator size, making a change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because you can turn on everything on the boat at the same time doesn't mean you actually ever do. Pay attention to what your worst-case actual loads are and see how that compares to the theoretical maximum.

Yes, quite correct, - I thought that way too. However, when anchoring out a lot like in the Bahamas, we discovered that our usage pattern shifted. We do not run the genset overnight preferring short generator runs to minimize noise for ourselves and anchorage neighbors. Since we have to run the generator for most meals and only have a small solar array, we tend to do everything at once for short duration: stove, +/- oven, laundry, AC, water maker, water heater, max battery chargers, charge all devices in addition to ongoing fridge & ice maker. Surprising how quickly it adds up. YMMV.

Yes, quite correct, - I thought that way too. However, when anchoring out a lot like in the Bahamas, we discovered that our usage pattern shifted. We do not run the genset overnight preferring short generator runs to minimize noise for ourselves and anchorage neighbors. Since we have to run the generator for most meals and only have a small solar array, we tend to do everything at once for short duration: stove, +/- oven, laundry, AC, water maker, water heater, max battery chargers, charge all devices in addition to ongoing fridge & ice maker. Surprising how quickly it adds up. YMMV.

I think this is important - how you operate your boat when at anchor. If you are a generator-on all the time boat for air conditioning, etc, loads can be spread out over time resulting in a lower, but more consistent load. HVAC plus one other large load (oven, water maker, hot water heater, etc.) will probably define your max need.

But if you run mostly on batteries while at anchor, generator time will be when you run all those heavy loads, so power demand will be much more concentrated over a short time. You will be charging batteries, plus trying to do laundry which also means heating hot water, maybe running a water maker, and maybe doing some cooking with electric appliances. And if you are in a warmer climate, you might also run some HVAC to cool the boat before bed time. That will generate a lot of load over a few hours.

With LFP batteries, we can now run something like the oven for an hour or two to cook a meal. But that means recharging is all the more demanding, and with LFP, and you can comfortable do it in 2hrs if you have enough charger capacity. If we are charging batteries, doing laundry, heating hot water, and running a water maker, I can easily max out our 25kw generator. And that's without HVAC. I typically only need to run for 2-3 hrs a day, but in that time it's working hard.

The key here is that the more battery capability you have, the more concentrated, and intense you generator run time becomes. So if that's how you operate, and the direction you are moving with your power system, be wary of undersizing your generator.

I have a diesel 4.5kw Westerbeek in a sound shield. It runs ac unit, refer, freezer appliances and charger but I do need to practice power management from time to time. Example: I can only run one ac unit at a time. Biggest load is when compressor starts on the ac. I would think the soundshield would work fine with a smaller unit.

AC stove is a nuisance. Recommend you add solar / lithium batteries for house needs and replace AC stove with propane. Cost about $3,500. Good solar options on Amazon.

AC stove is a nuisance. Recommend you add solar / lithium batteries for house needs and replace AC stove with propane. Cost about $3,500. Good solar options on Amazon.

Humm, and all I wanted to do was boil some eggs on an induction cooktop while at anchor.

.... I'm surprised noise didn't make it into the other posts (unless I missed it!)....

Add me to this list. I'm in the process of changing out two largish gensets, a dead 10kva and a incredibly loud 30kva, for as much lithium and solar as I can shoe horn in. Noise and the constant drone of being inside a vibrating steel can was a major driver.

Solar alone should see me through (I have a large single pitch roof area) but do have a small Bunnings (think Harbour Freight) Inverter genset that should be very rarely required and reasonably quiet when it is.

Swapping large gensets for small with lots of solar/batteries has given me 1/ peace and quiet, 2/ drastically reduced spares and maintenance 3/ reduced needs for load sharing and 4/ ease of use, everything just works.

I have a diesel 4.5kw Westerbeek in a sound shield. It runs ac unit, refer, freezer appliances and charger but I do need to practice power management from time to time. Example: I can only run one ac unit at a time. Biggest load is when compressor starts on the ac. I would think the soundshield would work fine with a smaller unit.

Have you considered a soft-start? Around $300, fairly easy to install, and really cushions the start load.

https://www.micro-air.com/products_easystart_368_softstarter_microair.cfm

Peter

I have a 13.5KW generator on my boat, and I must say it sure is handy to have all three ac units on and still be able to cook breakfast on the electric stove while using the hot water heater. we don't do all of that all of the time. but it is possible.

I removed the cylinder head of the current generator today and it was an ugly sight inside. Three of the four cylinders are in bad shape and a full rebuild will indeed be needed. I have purchased a 8.7kw Westerbeke replacement and the boat will be going to Derecktor Shipyard in Mamaroneck in late October for the swap.

I removed the cylinder head of the current generator today and it was an ugly sight inside. Three of the four cylinders are in bad shape and a full rebuild will indeed be needed. I have purchased a 8.7kw Westerbeke replacement and the boat will be going to Derecktor Shipyard in Mamaroneck in late October for the swap.

I'm curious what "bad shape" means? Any pictures? Water intrusion? Something else?

"bad shape" is due to the anti-syphon valve failing and water getting into the cylinders. The side walls of the cylinders are no longer honed but lumpy, I assume with corrosion. I do not yet know what the condition of the crank, bearings or little ends are but I am assuming the worst. So, I'll continue with the swap because it will tailor the boat better for my needs then I'll set about rebuilding the original engine or selling off the parts.

Loosely translated, "Bring lots of money"

Owning and running boats like this has never been cheap. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

Back
Top Bottom