Generator cruising /sell the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris71

I purchased a 39 foot outboard cruiser with a 8kw generator. I have owned the boat for 3 months and the generator has been inop for 1.5 months. I want to solo to Marsh Harbor from the US and feel the need to be able to charge my batteries while on the hook. The generator is currently down and had 107 hours in 4.5 years. When it was running, I ran it at least an hour under load every week.
Now, the generator mechanic feels that there was a voltage spike because I also had the 240 volt battery charger go down about the same time and the factory said the damage was on the input side. I then called the charger mfg and explained that the boat has one of their very heavy duty isolation transformers and then they said probably not, about the spike. I then asked if the isolation transformer could be bad and they don’t think so, but short of pulling it they can’t know. The mfg said less than 3% chance it is bad. They said short of pulling it off and sending it in, it would be very hard to test.
It could be just Murphy or the generator brand could just be problematic. It is a PF. I am thinking about just getting a Honda suitcase gen set to insure some level of power and just going on. IF I like the cruising life a KK or a N is in my future. I am hoping these boats are built to a different systems standard than my current boat and these issues will go away. There is another possibility and that is more systems, more problems. I have been told that for singlehanding, I should get no larger than 44-48 and I want stabilization for sure. I will want to go as far south as the ABC’s. I have leaned toward a N47 but the KK48 seems to have so much more room. The engine room seems to be taller in the N, but is it that much better. I looked at these boats 9 years ago And my memory is a little fuzzy.
I would appreciate your educating me about the boat comparison as well as the generator issues and the viability of carrying the Honda.
Thank you,

Just a thought--I would thinkit would be better to have the current generator working if you are going to sell the boat and replace it in the near future.

N47 and KK48 are Large boats--I'm sure that with the correct thrusters, remotes and additional control stations they could be single handed but they are large boats.

"I would appreciate your educating me about the boat comparison as well as the generator issues and the viability of carrying the Honda."

- an 8KW generator is quite large for a 39 outboard boat
- gensets typically run hundreds of hours with little complaint
- some 39 outboard boats have diesel gensets , you do not say what yours is
- your post does not solve for the genset issue
- a Honda portable is a possible short term solution with limited Watt capability
- the Honda may be restricted in some areas and marinas and can pose a hazard
- carrying gasoline onboard, shock hazard and Co could be sources of hazards
- any larger boat like the ones mentioned will have much more complicated and numerous systems which will afford more options and potentially more problems.

Finding a competent mechanic seems like the best first step in any case.

Addendum

The gen set is a FP 8KW Mini which is diesel. I will have the gen set fixed, but I fear the genset. I am primarily questioning the viability of a backup Honda and what size? I would not use the Honda gen set except during the day to charge the batteries for on the hook living during a multi-week cruise.
About the KK and N, the KK39 and N40 aren’t so big, but how do they compare?
Thanks for your help,

Addendum

Sort of, I asked the mod to move it but I decided to just do another. This is less winded. I hope not a blunder, sorry if so

It would make more sense to keep the other thread focused on DC power at anchor for your current boat: fixing your Panda to recharge, using a Honda portable or adding solar panels. Keep this thread focused on KK vs N discussion.

I'll start it off by saying both are great cruising boats and both if equipped properly could cross oceans. The Nordhavn is a more modern design and my only critique would be a bit of top heaviness but the stability figures don't bear that out. They are built with passagemaking in mind and is one of the few trawlers where systems design and installation is paramount. I am not a big fan of get home engines, but if you want one, Nordhavn has them. They also are designed from the ground up for paravanes with heavy structural points to attach them. Can't comment on how hydraulic stabilizers work but some have installed them.

Krogens are also well built solid cruisers, maybe a bit less suited as built from the factory for passagemaking. Leishman in his revision material to Bebe's book and who has obvious conflicts says that they need some upgrading like redundant essential systems and stronger windows to withstand big slugs of sea water. I don't think he had any concerns about basic hull form or stability. He did admit that it was a very slippery hull. Not sure how easy it is to add a paravanes. Some owners have added hydraulic stabilizers.

David

Last edited:
Find a skilled generator mechanic trained and experienced in the brand you have. You can't avoid the issue, whether you keep or sell the boat. Also, in boat ownership, this won't be the last time you encounter a troublesome issue like this one. Get it fixed, then enjoy, then you can evaluate the pleasures of boating and cruising. Panda has a large service network. Here is the link.

https://fischerpanda.com/dealer-locator/

The gen set is a FP 8KW Mini which is diesel. I will have the gen set fixed, but I fear the genset. I am primarily questioning the viability of a backup Honda and what size? I would not use the Honda gen set except during the day to charge the batteries for on the hook living during a multi-week cruise.
About the KK and N, the KK39 and N40 aren’t so big, but how do they compare?
Thanks for your help,

I had a FP Mini8. You could not pay me to take another one. Big end bearing every 1000 hrs is considered "routine maintenance?" Overly complicated, unreliable, junk. Pull it and put in a Northern Lights, Onan, Phasor, or Next-Gen and you'll be much happier.

Regarding the Honda, they are near bulletproof. They are a little loud fully loaded but not bad, they are super quiet when run at half load or less. Pure sine power is clean and keeps electronics hapoy. The Companion model accepts a 30A shore power cord (though it only puts out 13A continuous). It'll run 4-5 hrs fully loaded on the internal .9 gallon tank, triple that lightly loaded. On eBay there are kits to convert it to run from a 3 gallon dinghy tank, they are cheap and well worth it.

I have a 20kw Onan, a 120A school bus alternator on each of my main engines, solar panels, and I still have the Honda in reserve. I've also loaned the Honda to another boat whose generator had died far from a repair point- it's an awesome backup if you keep in mind the limited capacity.

I would replace the panda with a better unit, not have it fixed .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom