Generator automatic start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Just looking to modernize the battery/inverter/charger set up. Anyone have an automatic gen start? I have been looking into this as a way to better monitor battery capacity/health and maintenance. I am also going to be putting the bank under load and watching how long I can operate with what would be my typical load. AGMs are looking favorable both in lower maintenance and cost.

I guess I really wouldn't want an automatic start. Wouldn't that mean that whenever you unhook your shore power the genny would kick in? And if you shut it down wouldn't it restart when the main engine shut down?

The only time I run my genny is when I am on the hook for a few hours at night and a couple in the morning (sometimes).

Mine is a three cylinder Yanmar. It is kind of cold blooded, I often have to go below to hit the preheat switch. Without preheating I would worry about water intrusion if the genny didn't start when demanded.

pete

I had am auto start Onan way back. You turn on the stove the Gen would start. It actually worked 0k. It used the generator head as the starter

Magnum has a great system. With their higher end remote and networked AGS, you can set the AGS to kick in when the batteries hit a certain user defined state of charge (SOC). You do not want to base the trigger point on voltage, as it will prematurely trigger a start towards the end of the cycle when you turn on a microwave or coffee maker or the like. You also want to set a time for the generator to warm up before switching the load , and cool down a little before stopping with load off. Even with warm up, you want to avoid if you can the genset starting into another heavy load (like the aforementioned small appliances), as the battery chargers and water heater alone will be providing plenty of that right away. Anyway, I highly recommend the Magnum system that does all that and more. Remember to check the oil and coolant levels of the genset when it is dormant, the AGS doesn't do that for you!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a Magnum inverter charger that outputs 2-120v legs or 240v. Everything runs thru the inverter. IF I'm on shore power or a generator the power passes thru the inverter. When I unplug shore power the inverter takes the load without interruption. If I run down the batteries, the inverter will start a generator. But I'm usually running a generator every other day when I make water and other large load tasks. I rarely use an air conditioner.

We have it on our generator, but except to test it, we’ve never used it. I just don’t like the idea of my generator starting up uncommanded.

I helped a friend install one last year on his 2015 Horizon PC52 with Onan generator. Reason for wanting it was when on anchor, he frequently ran the batteries down too low (I know, different topic).

He initially purchased a Victron unit as it has a sexy LED readout display. But.....there are two different types of installation based on how the generator is controlled from the factory. A 3-wire control is for generators that have button you hold-in to warm-up the glow plugs (Onan and Northern Lights). 2-wire for other. The Victron apparently is a 2-wire, though you can convert it. I must be some sort of dunce on this stuff, because I couldn't figure out the conversion, nor could an extremely competent marine electrician.

In the end, the Victron was returned and replaced with the Magnum AGS (3-wire) which works great and was easy to install. It's an LCD readout so a bit dated in appearance, but rock solid.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom