Generator alternatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The noisemaker should be part of a System , with batterys , inverter and load management as all part of the consideration.

That is it in a nutshell. The generator, house bank, charger, and other onboard systems need to be designed to work together.

A prime example here is Battery charging. Cant tell you how many 800 amp hour house banks I've seem with 40 amp chargers connected to them.

So the owner starts his generator and it takes 10 hours of generator run time + to come from 50% charge to 95% charge. During that time the battery charger is drawing only about 5 amps from the generator. Thats a light load for any generator.

A large inverter/charger has a 100-150 amp charger. This reduces generator run
Time and also puts a resectable load on the generator.

So "Evil incarnate" means it's not good?

It would have been simpler to just say that in the first place. But the poster asked about them so it would have been a better answer to his question to provide more details.

Ah, come on. Can't I be snarky sometimes??

Regarding Fischer Panda, we have had very bad luck with these in my local area. Especially the 4kW with the single cylinder 3600rpm engine. Simply can not recommend them under any circumstance. All kinds of problems with water going where it should not causing corrosion and untimely death.

They also made some Kubota based machines, but also ran those at 3600rpm. Did better, but still sucked compared to the 1800rpm competition.

Onan tried some 9kW 3600rpm units, we hated those too and many failed.

The little belt drive units run a 3600rpm gen, but engine runs like 2600, well withing their sweet spot. Those hold up pretty well but there is still some weirdness not present in a direct drive 1800 machine.

Ah, come on. Can't I be snarky sometimes??

Regarding Fischer Panda, we have had very bad luck with these in my local area. Especially the 4kW with the single cylinder 3600rpm engine. Simply can not recommend them under any circumstance. All kinds of problems with water going where it should not causing corrosion and untimely death.

They also made some Kubota based machines, but also ran those at 3600rpm. Did better, but still sucked compared to the 1800rpm competition.

Onan tried some 9kW 3600rpm units, we hated those too and many failed.

The little belt drive units run a 3600rpm gen, but engine runs like 2600, well withing their sweet spot. Those hold up pretty well but there is still some weirdness not present in a direct drive 1800 machine.

Yea, that's better explanation. Their advertising claims they are the best but that's pretty common with advertising.

"A large inverter/charger has a 100-150 amp charger. This reduces generator run
Time and also puts a resectable load on the generator."

For the independent folks nothing beats a good sized (135A+) alternator with a 3-4 stage charge control bolted on to the noisemaker.

A DN 50 with 250-300A 12v or 24V can really put a load on the noisemaker , check first that the front end bearings are up to it.

Fastest charge for a big bat set with a very robust construction.

Last edited:
So "Evil incarnate" means it's not good?

It would have been simpler to just say that in the first place. But the poster asked about them so it would have been a better answer to his question to provide more details.

For me evil incarnate was pretty expressive :)

:angel: => good
:devil: => not good

:)

L.

I run a double door reefer and 2 small freezers off a Magnum inverter/charger 120/240 system. System starts a generator when batteries are low. When running the mains a alternator keeps the house banks up. I can go several days on the house banks at anchor. Boat came with 2-14kw generators and an electric stove. Po's practice was to run a generator almost 24/7. Both had glazed cylinders.
Some people have a small 1-2 cylinder diesel running a big alternator.
http://www.aquamarineinc.net/ sells a 1 cylinder diesel with an alternator and RO pressure pump.

If I was to do it again, I'd forgo the Honda generator and add solar over my FB bimini to keep my batts charged. I'd also up my inverter to a more proper 1500-2000W. ...

Al, how well would solar work in your covered berth? ... Right, you're talking about your outings. :blush:

Me, without generator, I'm good for a couple of days without moving, otherwise need to motor (charging with the engine-powered alternator) for some hours or get "juice" at a marina.

Last edited:
I was thinking I could install a large 110 volt pump with fire hose column and nozzle .Stick a suction hose overboard. Run it off the the generator every once in a while to help bust the varnish off the cylinder walls . Maybe turn William into a volunteer firefighter. We don't have anything like this at the marina .

For those that use a petrol generator how do you select the size?
Does it have to match you battery charging system?
What happens when the batteries are really low and can accept a lot of amps?
My concern is not to go too big (weight, size, lifting it back into the locker) or too small (just won't do it, short life from overloading)

I went with the Honda eu2000i for its renowned reputation and adequate but middle of the road capacity. I knew it needed to be portable and the eu3000 was just too big and heavy. The 2000 is around 54 lbs and a manageable size to move around the boat, if needed.

It's called a 2000, but is really 1600W/13.3A continuous output. Knowing I only had 13.3A of 120V to play with on the eu2000i helped me zero in on my charger size. While at 55A, it's a bit undersized for the 660AH house bank, the stbd alternator's 120A (derated to 100A for belt size) is adequate for recharging the house bank on the mains. I have enough leftover capacity to also operate most galley appliances...one at a time...during recharging.

If I control my loads, I only have to run the generator about 2-3 hrs/day if I'm not moving the boat on the mains. This is normally done during breakfast and dinner prep. If I need more juice and heated water, I can run the stbd engine at 1200 RPM to get near-full alternator output from my Balmar. That might happen once or twice a week for an hour when I'm stationary.

Running my ac in the wheelhouse on these hot and humid days has made a wussy out a me . If it wasn't for that I would ditch my generator. If I would man up I could simplify some stuff and get rid of that rooftop eyesore and the genny .

We have two generators aboard our Defever 44. Came with the boat and I think are OEM. One is a Perkins-powered 14.5kW. The other is a 7.7kW Westerbeke. I considered removing the smaller one but the consensus when I posted an inquiry on this forum was to keep them both.

Back
Top Bottom