GB42 Keel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Is the keel section of a fiberglass GB42 hollow?
Has anyone ever accessed that as a water ballast tank to add stability when in rough weather yet be able to pump out when want to be light?

Please advise.
Thanks

Even if it were hollow, I can't imagine it has sufficient capacity. Flooded keels are done by design. I've never seen one retrofitted.

If you have ever smelled water that has been trapped in a hollow keel you wouldn’t want water in there. It stinks horribly. I don’t think that the volume would make much difference anyway.

Our 36 ft Grand Banks has a hollow keel with a drain plug. As we boat on Lake Erie, when we haul out for winter it gets drained to prevent freezing. Holds about 10 to 15 gallons.

Our 36 ft Grand Banks has a hollow keel with a drain plug. As we boat on Lake Erie, when we haul out for winter it gets drained to prevent freezing. Holds about 10 to 15 gallons.
Reading about the keel drain plug on your 36. I have a 79 36 and was wondering if you could take a picture of where your keel drain plug is located. Thanks!

15 gallons is 120 lbs. 120 lbs centerline is not going to be an effective ballast.

15 gallons is 120 lbs. 120 lbs centerline is not going to be an effective ballast.

That was my first thought as well. To have a drain plug factory installed again is a head scratcher, why would the hollow be created.

Garboard Drain plug

Plug is 3/4 diameter in a 1 1/2” fitting. It was installed by the dealer in Maine. The hollow is full of fiberglass scrap.

Attachments

• D82D425D-B879-46D5-9972-657C35BD7B9B.jpg
    D82D425D-B879-46D5-9972-657C35BD7B9B.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 11
That was my first thought as well. To have a drain plug factory installed again is a head scratcher, why would the hollow be created.

They cap the hollow area because it is difficult to pump out since it gets very narrow at the bottom where a pump would fit. And by capping the keel it makes a flat area that pumps can be installed on. They leave them hollow because it is cheaper than filling it with whatever, unless it is scrap as suggesting above. But the issue is that water will find a way in and then it will stink badly. Having a drain to get out any water is a good idea IMO.

Back
Top Bottom