GB 42 Mast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
The below pic is of the mast on our new to us Grand Banks 42.unfortunately it loads rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.
There might well be no mind less inclined to mechanical things than mine, and this question might bear that out.
The BOTTOM portion of the pic is the FORWARD side of the mast and of course the TOP is the AFT part. Each of the ends have pins in them. Is this designed with lowering in mind if need be, and to do so I would just:
1. Disconnect all electrical wiring.
2. Take forward pin out
3. Loosen/remove the four mast stays
4. Lower upper section of the mast aft

Am I seeing this correctly?

Attachments

• 05D2438E-0017-4935-87C3-F74E83D1E80E.jpg
    05D2438E-0017-4935-87C3-F74E83D1E80E.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 19
If I am understanding the photo correctly, it looks like the mast would hinge down aft after loosing the stays. The electrical wiring may, hopefully, have enough slack inside the mast to allow it to hinge without disconnecting it.

Agree that in a perfect world - check to see if yours is - there should be enough slack in the wiring to let you raise and lower without disconnecting anything. I’m sure the builder thought of this, but a previous owner and / or yard guy may not have.

And not to overstate the obvious, but you probably only have to loosen or disconnect one or two of the stays, not all of them.

On our GB, we had to disconnect 2 stays, the forward running on port and starboard.

On our GB, we had to disconnect 2 stays, the forward running on port and starboard.

This: The electrical wires have enough slack usually. My GB had an access plate (to check them)aft of the mast step. I added gate shackles to the forward stays to allow quick release and restepping. The aft stays didn’t require any adjustment

Mine has scissor shackles with quick release pins. I unhook two front stays, and my mast pins have wingnuts, so the nuts are removed, then stays, then laid down. Stuff a rag in wire hole and duct tape top to keep condensation out.

Back
Top Bottom