Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The gasoline storage thread got me to thinking about this. I am about to pick up my freshly serviced Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke that was suffering from ethanol sickness. During my time of trying to heal that sickness, I had filled up the tank with fresh gas.....6 months ago!!!! So that gas ain't all that fresh anymore and I am certainly not going to try and run it through my freshly serviced engine. Where in the heck can you dispose of gasoline???? It seems as if gasoline(with oil mixed into it) is about as difficult to get rid of as old expired flares???...ie nobody has an answer. And I don't consider dumping it into my diesel tank an option.

On another note, my certified Yamaha engine repairman advised me to use aviation fuel from now on. He says it has no ethanol in it and it has a much longer shelf life. He said the only reason Yamaha cannot endorse this is due to the recent pollution legislation....FYI and FWIW!

manyboats has a special epa approved disposal plant for old gasoline.

aviation fuel is expensive
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Regarding 2T mixture in autos, my old Jaguar XJ6 and my new Audi A6 both burned a significant amount of oil. The Audi burned about a qt every 2K miles even when new and it only got worse!! So, in my opinion, putting a gallon or two of 2T into several gallons of fresh gas should not make any difference to your car.
Your Jag oil use would be on top of the leaks.
I disposed of some old mixed 2 stoke recently, next time it can go in a car. 2 litres of 1:50 mix into 60 litres can`t be a problem. Good idea.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Guru

Old gasoline does not get 'dirty' from age. what happens is the more aromatic components evaporate leaving a lower octane gasoline. So what to do with the stuff? I have been riding snowmobiles for the past 40 years. These have all been 2 cycles. High performance 2 cycles do not tolerate low octane gas. If you run last years gas that has dropped several points in octane rating since bought, you risk a pre-igintion (spark knock) condition that can melt down an engine in short order. So what to do? We have been using Ethanal here in the Midwest for many many years. The alcohol that raises the Octane rating has a few unladylike properties. It absorbs water and it evaporates faster than the gas it is desolved into. What have I learned to do with it? use it in a vehicle, here I mix it into a quantity of fresh gas. I have been known to buy a quantity of premium gas to average the octane rating in the good range. This goes into the sled and I don't push the limits of performance for the first tank of fuel. An interesting reality in the snow belts of the midwest, You could buy Premium grade to mix with the the low octane old fuel. This is a perfect theory except for the fact that the people who live in the snow belts are not inherently wealthy, and don't buy premium gasoline. As a result, if you buy, you risk getting water. The water is far worse that low octane. So buy your premium gas at home where the volume is higher and avoid it in the bush. So what do you do with the stuff? burn it in vehicle, premix oil and all. burn it in the lawn tractor, mower, snowblower, or older car or truck. Mix it with fresh high octane stuff and continue to do what you have always done. In my experience the resistance to ethanol far exceeds the risk. Disclaimer: I am a retired John Deere guy, I have benifitted by the effects of ethanol production for several years. I will have 39 years with JD this spring. 36 at retirement and 3 since working as a consultant. Ethanol has a bad rap that doesn't have a basis in fact from where I sit. It is very hard on old formulation rubber and plastic. But that has been remediated in past years.
4 strokes and watercooled 2 strokes aren't all that close to melt down that old gas matters. If I could I would take all the 'old gas' that was offered and use it. Modern computer controlled 4 strokes (and 2 strokes)have systems in place to deal with low octane fuel
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You can dispose of diesel in with used oil. You're not supposed to put gasoline in there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
John,

You might try:

Holcomb Oil Recycling
6228 Osprey Drive
Houston, TX 77048
713-991-4005

They are near Hobby airport and I know they dispose of diesel. They might handle gasoline as well.

Good luck

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
My friends and I take our old gas, and two or three trailer loads of christmas trees out to a local off road park every year for a New Years Eve bonfire. The sheriff on duty always enjoys the fire with us.

I suppose we qualify as rednecks
You suppose?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Regarding 2T mixture in autos, my old Jaguar XJ6 and my new Audi A6 both burned a significant amount of oil. The Audi burned about a qt every 2K miles even when new and it only got worse!! So, in my opinion, putting a gallon or two of 2T into several gallons of fresh gas should not make any difference to your car.
Absolutely right. I have always done this with old fuel mixed or oil free. Diluted with at least a quarter tank of good gas, it will not harm anything. You don't even see smoke. So really no major issue at all.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
. Nobody has answered the question!...where to dispose.
Most parts of the country have hazardous waste disposal depots. An Internet search should help you locate one in your area.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
Guru

Just about every large town in my area (Ct) has a place to dispose of old fuel. So do many businesses who use waste oil for heat. My son is one of those and would accept a small amount of old gas mixed in with his waste oil, brake fluid, etc.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #29

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Baker, I put my left over lawn mower gas and my gas/oil mix for the outboard in my Ford F 250 2009 gas truck. Every season, been doing this for years. I do make sure that I have about a one half tank of gas in the truck.
My experience, YMMV
CCC
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Posted by Chrisjs;

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs
Regarding 2T mixture in autos, my old Jaguar XJ6 and my new Audi A6 both burned a significant amount of oil. The Audi burned about a qt every 2K miles even when new and it only got worse!! So, in my opinion, putting a gallon or two of 2T into several gallons of fresh gas should not make any difference to your car."

Jaguar, Audi and others have rings that leave considerably more oil on the cylinder than domestic cars to reduce wear. Most Americans think burning oil is a sin so domestic cars hardly use any. In this regard it's clear to me that the buying public is designing the car .. not the engineers. In this way I'd much rather burn oil.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
My friends and I take our old gas, and two or three trailer loads of christmas trees out to a local off road park every year for a New Years Eve bonfire. The sheriff on duty always enjoys the fire with us.

I suppose we qualify as rednecks
I concur!!!! Rednecks just get shit done!!! If Texas ever seceded, it would be a success due to rednecks!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
And here's where us gasser guys come out ahead again!. My carbed 350 Volvo/Chevy swallows up anything we give her, including old gas with 2 stroke oil.

Folks put 2 stroke oil in their diesel tanks for better lubricity...
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #33

I started having issues with my 50 hp Yamaha on my center console as soon as they started putting ethanol in the gas. I had the engine serviced and removed all the gas. Since then every year I drain the gas and let it stand in a closed bucket for about a week. There is always some moisture and some white gritty stuff that falls to the bottom. I carefully drain off the gas and leave a small amount of contaminated fuel in the bottom of the bucket. This is easily disposed of in a bon fire or if your patient it will evaporate. I pour the separated fuel back in the boat and top off with fresh fuel.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
I started having issues with my 50 hp Yamaha on my center console as soon as they started putting ethanol in the gas. I had the engine serviced and removed all the gas. Since then every year I drain the gas and let it stand in a closed bucket for about a week. There is always some moisture and some white gritty stuff that falls to the bottom. I carefully drain off the gas and leave a small amount of contaminated fuel in the bottom of the bucket. This is easily disposed of in a bon fire or if your patient it will evaporate. I pour the separated fuel back in the boat and top off with fresh fuel.
is that mixed fuel or just gas? If gas why don't you just burn it in a car? Thats what i always do with old boat gas.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Gas evaporates from most any open pail.

What "disposal"?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Yes it does but some of us would be too enviromentally sensitive to do that. You might as well dump it on the ground or down the storm sewer.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

What "disposal"?
Do that in the wrong location and Kaboom!!!
At four bucks a gallon just give it to someone to use in their car if you don't wish to use it in one of yours or take it to a recycle center.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
dump it on the ground
Isn't that where it came from?
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Isn't that where it came from?
nope, came out of a cracking tower and before that it was black goo deep down inside the earth. If it went back into the earth like so much oil dose in the form of fertilyzer that would work but gasoline won't it will get into the air and that isnt good.
I don't buy conventional produced foods because of this. I would rather save fuel to use in my toys. We have no good substitute for fuel oil but we have lots of natural sources of fertilyzers so we shouldn't be useing it to grow food. Don't you think?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
Given what the active volcanos on the planet put into the air I don't worry about what dumping a few gallons of old gas on the weeds is going to do.

We were read the story of Chicken Little way back in grade school and I've had no use for the little feathered bastard since.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote