Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #41
FF
Guru

"Up to a certain size a gasoline powered cruiser makes allot of sense"

Its more the speed required than the size.

A boat that will climb up and plane requires far more HP than can be found on a long term basis from gas.

Over about 250 hp on a cont basis diesel makes sense , it is all that is aviliable.

Or over 1000 hours a year diesels will be rebuilt less often than gassers.

For a displacement cruiser a 60 ft gasser would be easy to contemplate .

At say 30-45 tons displacement about 120-150 cont HP would be required , no sweat long term for a modern 300CI gasser.

For the 200 hours a year cruiser it would be more than 20 years of low cost maint , low cost parts , lube oil , anti freeze and even smaller batteries.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
As far as buying a gas boat? Nothing really I guess. There are a hand full of gas 35-45 ft boats for sale near me, but there's a reason ships, tugs and big rigs are diesel haha. I know a gas boat won't be something we take long trips on, but it would get us on the water.

As far as needing a bigger boat.... The admiral has laid down the law haha.
There's a reason ships use very different anchors as in stockless types (like a Navy anchor) but they are only rarely seen on pleasure boats.
There's a reason pleasure boats use electric winches and ships use hydraulic.
There's a reason you don't see diesel engines in ski boats.
And there are reasons most planing craft use gasoline engines. Good reasons.

But whatever you use it should fit your needs.
If you don't like lots of noise, fuel smell, vibration, high cost and excessive weight, get a gas engine. No need to do what others do (unless that drives you) or what others want if you understand what you want. However, one shouldn't convert a big trawler to gas and then wonder why it doesn't sell later on.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
There's a reason ships use very different anchors as in stockless types (like a Navy anchor) but they are only rarely seen on pleasure boats.
There's a reason pleasure boats use electric winches and ships use hydraulic.
There's a reason you don't see diesel engines in ski boats.
And there are reasons most planing craft use gasoline engines. Good reasons.

But whatever you use it should fit your needs.
If you don't like lots of noise, fuel smell, vibration, high cost and excessive weight, get a gas engine. No need to do what others do (unless that drives you) or what others want if you understand what you want. However, one shouldn't convert a big trawler to gas and then wonder why it doesn't sell later on.
That is a "Catch 22"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I can't think of a "trawler" that has gas engines. Not meaning any offense....If we are talking planing cabin cruisers, sure.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #45
Guru

I would think a trawler over 35 ft with gas engine would be difficult to sell at a good price on the used market No matter what the logic behind the motor is. A planning craft or more conventional cruiser type used like a trawler no problem if gas. Don't ask me to define trawler. I am not going to wait for a reply I am going out sailing and not on a trawler.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
I can't think of a "trawler" that has gas engines. Not meaning any offense....If we are talking planing cabin cruisers, sure.
A lot of non-planing and semi-displacement boats with gas. Nearly all houseboats have gas. Plus boats like Sea Ray and some Mainship. A lot of boats that are excellent options for coastal cruising.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
So you're saying it is a "gateway" boat!!!..
Yes!

We all know how this works. We start with a desire to go boating and or in my case fishing.

We buy a boat and have allot of fun. Then we think "what if we could spend the night on the boat" so we buy a bigger boat with sleeping and a head and a minimum galley.

We like that so much that we think we'll have more fun in a bigger boat.

Fast foreward a decade and we're flat boating addicted, our lives are "ruined". We have a boat that takes all our money and all our time.

So we quit work "retire" to give us more time for our addiction.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #48
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Wisdom is achieved when one's new boat is smaller than their last...
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #49
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A lot of non-planing and semi-displacement boats with gas. Nearly all houseboats have gas. Plus boats like Sea Ray and some Mainship. A lot of boats that are excellent options for coastal cruising.
Yup! No muss no fuss gas engines suffice well in our 34', 21K loaded lbs., planning hull, self contained, tri cabin Tollycraft pleasure cruiser. Two 100 gallon fuel tanks. 77 gallons water. 30 gal holding tank. Draft 2' 10".

Twin 350cid, 255 hp. nearly 3 nmpg running one engine at 4.5 to 5 knots. Over 2 nmpg on both engines at 6.5 to 7 knots [7.58 is calculated hull speed]. 1 nmpg at 16 to 17 knots planning cruise. WOT = 22 to 23 knots at OMG gph!
Attached Thumbnails
TO Pict @ Lowries Slip 3_100_1411.jpg   Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #50
Guru

THREE nautical mpg?

Art I only get one w my Willard.
But I don't ever cruise at 5 knots.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #51
Guru

Now that I am nice and mellow and back from sailing on Lake Washington back to the gas vs. diesel thing. The complication as I see it is that this site has a lot of boats or at least boaters that believe they are trawler owners. I for one do not know what a recreational trawler is with any great accuracy. I see boat classification by ability and use patterns. A power boat designed to cross open oceans and operate independently long distance in potential rough weather is one category which if recreational trawler had a meaning might fit here. The next category is not as clear cut and includes boats capable of live aboard for reasonable periods while cruising coastal and inter-coastal. This group I further subdivide into fast-medium and slow speed. Some of these boats I might consider qualifying as Rec. trawlers what ever that is, others not. Another measure I apply to a boat or boat design is How much of the boat is based on a cottage . The is no fixed point where I start thinking house boat but there are certainly enough boats in that last category. So is there such a thing as a houseboat trawler? Why does all of this come to mind in a discussion about gas vs. diesel? Because the choice between the two will often hang on what actual type and category the boat fits into as has been pointed out by many of the above posts. True fishing trawlers are probably almost all diesel powered for obvious reasons. Open ocean long distance rec. boats all diesel and after that a lot of muddy water.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Salty, what you need to take away from this is that it can be done...quite easily. But there are compromises. The biggest, IMHO, is safety. Diesels generally do not explode. In my relatively short boating career, I have seen, with my own eyes, 3 gas boats blown sky high with severe injuries and fatalities. Another part of the safety equation is Carbon monoxide. Diesels barely produce any but gassers produce a lot. Would you feel comfortable laying on the hook with a gas engine(generator) running in your bilge...with your entire family on board??? I would not. SO peace of mind can be worth a LOT.

One last thing is a larger gas powered boat, if run up on plane, will struggle to get up on plane. I just feel better knowing that diesels can handle that work...easily...versus gas engines that are just barely getting the job done. PSNeeld's work boat is likely all fiberglass and engine...that is it. IOW, it is light. You put a 40 foot aft cabin motoryacht on top of a couple of gas engines and that is the reason they are worn out at 1500 hours...if you're lucky.
All true, but if it means getting on the water sooner than later, I vote gasser. It allows the lifestyle and learning the chance to begin. The real risks (BANG! and CO) need to be seriously paid attention to and mitigated. Sitting on the dock waiting for a diesel boat teaches nothing but patience.

Quote:
So you're saying it is a "gateway" boat!!!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Id rather a gas boat than no boat .
If I never bought a gas powered Sea Ray runabout, I'd never have a twin diesel trawler. Sometimes you need to learn how to crawl before you can walk...then get good at walking before you run.

If life interferes along the way in the process, at least you had some time doing what you love. If not, you just got a head start on the rest of your life. It's a win-win....as long as you don't kill yourself in the gasser!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #53
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Don't know if you've seen the TT35. This is with the standard twin Suzuki 60hp outboards. Having boated primarily in Florida, the low draft of 16" appeals. The fuel efficiency is pretty interesting, too.

TT35 Key Features - Great Harbour Trawlers

TT35 Test Report - Great Harbour Trawlers

TT 35 Performance - Great Harbour Trawlers
Attached Thumbnails
green-hull-for-web_orig.jpg   Fuel Burn.jpg  
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #54
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Those numbers look great for a 37. But that is for a very light ship. Add a full cruising load and the numbers will drop fast.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #55
Guru

A 36' cruiser going 50mph w a pair of OB's. Hmmmm

Old 06-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #56
FF
Guru

"However, one shouldn't convert a big trawler to gas and then wonder why it doesn't sell later on."

A knowledgable owner should not be that hard to find.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #57
Guru

FF it would largely depend on price don't ya think?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #58
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
A 36' cruiser going 50mph w a pair of OB's. Hmmmm
Ehemm....where was the 50mph comment made?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #59
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Ehemm....where was the 50mph comment made?
Chart on post # 53. 3/2 of the way down, center column... listed "Top Speed". I believe Eric was rounding up the 49 mph quote.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #60
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Chart on post # 53. 3/2 of the way down, center column... listed "Top Speed". I believe Eric was rounding up the 49 mph quote.
Okay, fair enough. Wish they put the brand name on the columns. It would be nice to read more about that boat.