Gas engines / verses Diesel on larger boats ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marine Manifold corp. here on Long Island NY has produced CuNi manifolds for quite some time with excellent results. .

CuNi and Monel are usually same thing. Monel is the copy right trade name for the alloy developed by INCO over a century or more ago. The name faded away with dozens of other fabricators alloying the same stuff.

That’s it .... “CuNi”
Short for copper/nickel.
Usually called cupronickel on the docks.

Anyway the guys at Klassen said their manifolds wer’nt the usual CuNi but a lighter alloy favoring strength. They found a good balance as I step on the manifold while getting down in the engine compartment most of the time. And as of 2003 only one of their manifolds went south via corrosion. I’m glad not to have any aluminum.
Also (for what it’s worth) the upper part of the manifold usually has the heat exchanger inside. I opted for a remote heat exchanger so that space is just full of coolant. Enough coolant for a 6 cyl engine perhaps.

CuNi and Monel are usually same thing. Monel is the copy right trade name for the alloy developed by INCO over a century or more ago. The name faded away with dozens of other fabricators alloying the same stuff.

Yes- I was mostly aware. There are many alloys that are very similar so we dropped saying 'Monel' a while back. We built many of the hi-tech circuit boards over the years on a Cu-Ni alloy with a copper core. Small variations made a large difference in properties and performance.
While our Cu-Ni risers performed well we prefer the SS risers that MM made for us as well as others.
Dependent upon the water flow, rigidity required and heat generated at the exhaust these companies can likely recommend what they think is the best for each application.

Yes- I was mostly aware. There are many alloys that are very similar so we dropped saying 'Monel' a while back. We built many of the hi-tech circuit boards over the years on a Cu-Ni alloy with a copper core. Small variations made a large difference in properties and performance.
While our Cu-Ni risers performed well we prefer the SS risers that MM made for us as well as others.
Dependent upon the water flow, rigidity required and heat generated at the exhaust these companies can likely recommend what they think is the best for each application.

Please elaborate on MM, re link or full name/location. TY! - Art

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom