Gas or electric dinghy outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the above and have never owned an elecric motor. If I want my dinghy to go fast once in awhile, that's why I have a 20hp Honda. If, on the other hand, I just need my dinghy to go ashore and back or cruise around my marina or an anchorage, I would try one of the ePower motors. It's the same logic as buying an 8 knot big boat vs a 15 knot boat. Define (accurately) the dingy's mission before deciding so its power source.:blush:

Or you could simply back off the throttle on the 20hp and saves your coin. ;)

You're missing the point. You are also not doing that in a 3 hp gas inflatable.

Sure, but I could do it with a 3hp petrol engine on our current tender at a greatly reduced speed and am considering one as an aux for longer expeditions.
I doubt the 3hp electric would have the legs to get us back.

We bought a Torqueedo this spring. So far so good. My wife had trouble starting the mercury 6HP we had and suggested electric. Saw it on sale at the boat show, done deal.

So quiet, so much nicer. Yes, it could have more power, but cruising around an anchorage, silently, is pretty cool.

We have an 8' Zodiac and have been using our new Torqeedo 1103CS for six weeks. I did not want to store gas on board and liked the benefit of electric. The speed is good enough but the range is disappointing. As done by Miz Trom above, we will be purchasing a spare battery. It is just like carrying extra gas but safer. It takes about six hours to charge from 10% to 100%. Overall, love the Torqeedo.

I am curious to hear from people who have used an electric for at least a few months, then gone back to gas. Most of the doubters here sound like they've never owned an electric. In the 2-3hp range, the only advantage I can see for gas is the purchase price - all downside from there.

I used the Torqeedo when I had my sailboat for a few years before I bought the North Pacific which had a RIB with a 8hp Honda 4. I used that Honda for a couple years before I decided to ditch it and started using the Torqeedo again.

Less speed/range, but easier in every way.

What about LPG outboards?

Anyone here have any experience with ICE outboards designed to run on LPG or propane? They are supposed to be much more reliable regarding carburettor issues than their gasoline brethren ... Asking as I’m debating whether to get a 5HP Tohatsu LPG Model or a similarly powered electric engine for my planned 10ft GRP dinghy tender.

gas or electric

Buy a yamaha or tohatsu instead of a merc and your problem will be solved.

PS batteries require maintenance as well.

LOL. I was wondering whether to say that, then I saw your post. I would add, just about any 4 stroke Asian motor would fit the bill. I just bought a brand new Suzuki 2.5 for my dinghy for $750. Free shipping, no tax. It weighs 30 lbs. I've had a Tohatsu 9.9 kicker on my C Dory 22 for 12 years and it runs like a charm. For the price difference between my engine and an electric one, I could use this engine for 5 years, throw it overboard and buy a new one and still have less money tied up than buying an electric one with spare batteries now. And a 2 gal gas can filled with Marine gas is a lot cheaper than carrying a spare battery (that might have discharged).

Just my opinion, but I'm a huge fan of the current family of 4 stroke motors from Honda, Yamaha, Tohatsu, Suzuki et al. You couldn't give me a Merc or Johnson, and that's the voice of experience talking. I've lived through that hell.

gas or electric

Merc is made by Tohatsu. Same motor, different decals.

Tohatsu is made by Nissan. There is something different about Mercs and Johnsons and the other brands because the reliability of Mercs and Johnsons is abysmal while the other brands are quite good.

gas electric

The little 4-strokes are really reliable and can be mostly trouble-free. You have to turn off the gas valve and run the carb dry between trips. That and fresh gas will eliminate 95% of carb problems. It’s also pretty easy to take the little carb apart and clean out the jets if they ever do get clogged.

I’ve got a Tohatsu/Suzuki 3.5hp and I’ve never had a bit of trouble with it, including carb trouble, but I always run the gas dry before storage.

I realize the OP has moved on to an electric, but I’m adding this for others that might have the same issue.

You are exactly right. Whether it's a 2.5 hp or a 450 hp whatever outboard, use Marine Gas and run the engine dry after every use and you are probably not going to have starting or running issues if you also maintain the motor properly.

We have been using the Torqeedo 1003 for over 8 years on a 9 1/2' air floor inflatable.. It has been trouble free. We had one day we ran it 14 miles--mostly at lower speed--but one burst of full power for a few minutes. The reason we went to the electric was the weight, with back issues. We put the lower unit on the inflatable first, then the battery and finally the tiller. No part more than 12#. Wife can run it with "no pull start". We still have a 2 stroke Merc 3.5 hp gas. No problems, because we always run the carb dry, and use ethanol free gas, with Startron and Stabil. We have also owned a Suzuki 2.5--great motors. I have not tried the e-propulsion, but sound like good units.

We charge the Torqeedo battery when running our main engine (outboard) and each day's run keeps the Torqeedo battery topped of.

The Gheenoe type of boat sounds like an ideal setup. We have several friends who use the "Saturn Kaboat, type of narrow beam inflatable, and get better "mileage" with the Torqeedo than we do.

I owned and ran a Johnson 140 hp 2 stroke for 30 years and have owned a Honda 2hp 4 stroke for 15 years and have never had any carb problems with either motor. The trick is to always shut the gas off and run the engine until it dies, then choke and start a couple of times so you know the carb is dry. Next time you use it, make sure the gas is fresh, prime, choke and start.

Do your research. The eProp seems to have advantages over Torqeedo at a lower price. Nothing is perfect for every situation. For me the big advantage is that my wife can dinghy to the beach and back with no issues starting the engine. We generally are anchored close to the beach and don't have to travel tens of miles at a time. If we did, the eProp has good range at less than full speed while not having to carry gas, etc. The light weight is a nice bonus.

Li batteries do not require any kind of maintenance

Exactly.

Electric or gas really have different purposes. Some folks require a motor to do things that an electric doesn't do well, can't do, or can only manage really expensively.

I see many that say that the maintenance on their gas outboards is nil... as long as they change the oil, change the plugs, use marine gas, use fuel stabilizer, and run it dry after every use.

I plug in my Torqeedo battery to charge, either to 110 AC while under way or to my solar panel. That is all I've ever done to the thing in the 10 years I've owned it. That is the kind of maintenance that I like.

Still, I may get a new RIB with a 15hp gas motor at some point. Different tool for a different role.

Our dinghy use is limited to accessing the shore. Hence, having had many petrol (gas) engines over the years, we were SO pleased when we bought a Torqeedo.

No maintenance, lightweight and almost silent. No tugging on starter cords hoping it would start - no contest.

Imagine - we'd been cruising the beautiful west coast of France for three months when some friends called to ask if we'd come by to see them. They were moored at La Roche-Bernard on the river Vilaine. Locking through the 'barrage', we entered one of the most peaceful rivers we'd even seen and moored upriver on the visitors' pontoon.

Taking our dinghy with its Torqeedo, we made our way to their boat some two miles away.

Late that night, we returned to Play d'eau. No moon, startlingly clear skies lit with millions of stars, the flat calm river glistening with their reflections. Total silence apart from the gently hum of the Torqeedo. We drifted as slowly as we could, held in the hand of this majestic moment. One of those treasured moments you never forget.

We bought an "EP CARRY" (google it) at the Seattle Boat Show. Quiet, not fast, 12 lbs, made in Wash., great run time. Last weekend the 12m Trojan beside us popped its anchor and we managed to keep it off the beach with the 3m dinghy and the EP CARRY ... so its a keeper.

Having them put a smaller dinghy on our boat A highfield 3.4M vs. the larger 3.6 or 3.8. Still can get a battery in the seat just not configure for 2 batteries. Given the range is 10 miles at full speed (25 knots) or > 40 miles at 5 mph thought one battery was plenty.

Having them put a smaller dinghy on our boat A highfield 3.4M vs. the larger 3.6 or 3.8. Still can get a battery in the seat just not configure for 2 batteries. Given the range is 10 miles at full speed (25 knots) or > 40 miles at 5 mph thought one battery was plenty.

Yeah, that would be plenty for me. If I win the lottery....

Propane outboard?

Have you thought of a propane outboard like a Lehr?

My Tohatsu gas outboard always seemed to have a clogged carburetor! I had two and would just swap in the one I had cleaned.

I switched to a Lehr and it starts on the first pull -- no carburetor to clog!

Have you thought of a propane outboard like a Lehr?

My Tohatsu gas outboard always seemed to have a clogged carburetor! I had two and would just swap in the one I had cleaned.

I switched to a Lehr and it starts on the first pull -- no carburetor to clog!

I would have been very interested in Lehr but they had some QC issues and then went under. I think a 15hp propane outboard would have many of the advantages of gas without the fuel and carburetor issues.

I have on the way a Newport Vessels NV-Series 46lb Thrust Saltwater Transom Mounted with a
Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center with USB and DC Ports.

I plan to use it on my MIRROR Dinghy.

I have on the way a Newport Vessels NV-Series 46lb Thrust Saltwater Transom Mounted with a
Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center with USB and DC Ports.

I plan to use it on my MIRROR Dinghy.

Why not a and electric like Torqueedo or eProp instead? No external battery, more powerful, lighter, etc.

Why not a and electric like Torqueedo or eProp instead? No external battery, more powerful, lighter, etc.

Cause those other ones are like $1,700 to $3,000 and what I did cost me $210.13 delivered.

If cost is a priority, I can't argue with that.

If cost is a priority, I can't argue with that.

Well, in truth, a big part of the $210.13 verses the $2K to $3K price tag is the fact I want to try it out, first.

Well, in truth, a big part of the $210.13 verses the $2K to $3K price tag is the fact I want to try it out, first.

OK I can't argue that point. For 2K I can get a 3HP electric that is light and reliable and easy to use. For me that's worth it. If 2K investment for 10 years is too much, then do what you need. Not judging you

Back
Top Bottom