Gas or electric dinghy outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Necroposting is a time honored internet tradition.

Here here! On this and many more. Once the subject is like a dead horse....

The "interesting boats" thread on the other hand will always have new stuff to submit.

Yea Yea .. just like an old movie that tells you w big letters it’s over .. THE END.

RUBBISH,
In a short sentence “there’s always more to say” about any subject. I’m unpleasantly amused buy the dead horse thingy. Yet there they are .. posting.

Electric power is evolving and is permanently changing the auto industry and beginning to change the boating industry. I expect there will be lots of things to discuss about it whether you want to power your dinghy with electric or not.

Has anyone had much luck with a hybrid sail/power dinghy ? They always seem intriguing but I wonder if the compromises are too great or the hassle of setting up and storing the sailing rig are worth it.

Has anyone had much luck with a hybrid sail/power dinghy ? They always seem intriguing but I wonder if the compromises are too great or the hassle of setting up and storing the sailing rig are worth it.

I have no experience but I do have an opinion! I'd love to have a sailing dinghy for cruising around a harbor because I love sailing. If I was relying on sailpower for utilitarian purposes only, I'd say the hassle is not worth it. Strap on a small electric outboard and push the button and go.

I've only seen the marketing material, so of course they look wonderful, but Walker Bay has an 8 and 10 foot model that can be rowed, motored or sailed. You can also get the boat with or without an inflatable tube, which seems like an interesting feature.

Having had a sailing dinghy tender on a previous boat, there is one recommendation I would make: be sure that rigging it is dead easy. If you have a two part mast with the need for a forestay and shrouds (as many of them have) the hassle of rigging it in a little chop bouncing off the swim platform isn't something you will likely do with any frequency. A one piece freestanding mast (preferably carbon as it will be light) that drops in a hole is what you want.

Here here! On this and many more. Once the subject is like a dead horse....

The "interesting boats" thread on the other hand will always have new stuff to submit.

It's really easy to UNSUBSCRIBE from a thread. The choice is all yours.

Folks who are done listening bc they've heard all they want to hear want threads closed.

Those who have not yet voiced their opinion or are still listening might disagree with that position.

Last edited:
Our Current "Dink"

1975 V-hill 14'8" Crestliner "Stinger" tow behind [or side tie] runabout: Electric start 50 hp. 1975 Johnson O/B. Loafing along on a clean plane at 20 +/- knots = 20 +/- nmpg with both if us aboard.

Two 6 gal gas tanks = 192 miles with 20% fuel remainder.

With just me aboard between tides, WOT hits 39.6 knots on GPS. = Unknown nmpg - because, in 12 years I have only pushed her that hard very few times... each for a minute or less.

That's always been my favorite kind/size DINK! Years ago had a 13'3" Boston Whaler with 40 hp Johnson; fun, seaworthy little boat... but her dual point fairly flat bottom too hard on our backs as age increases.

Although, have had some small ones with small o/b's.

Attachments

• Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom