Old 05-05-2022, 06:18 AM   #21
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I dunno what brand our home-slip dockwash hose is or where I got it, but it's heavy green rubber... and I've been using it for about 15 years, always out in all weather during our seasons, no issues.

I just happened to remember we've got about 500' of black rubber hose -- Sears Craftsman -- that we've been using around the various houses for the last 25 years or so.

Black rubber isn't all that suitable for dock use, I guess, but it's certainly long-lasting.

The green rubber hose we have at the dock shows promise of lasting that long, too...

-Chris
Old 05-05-2022, 08:58 AM   #22

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
The Zero G's are the ticket. I doubt I'll ever buy another rubber garden hose.

However, the comments about the aluminum fittings on the Zero G are spot on. A friend asked me to remove a Zero G from a hose bib at her house. I tried with pump pliers but it was absolutely seized to the hose bib. I stopped for fear of damaging the hose bib. Next step would be to cut the hose fitting with a hack saw or Dremel tool.

If you're going to leave a Zero G on the hose bib for months, install a plastic valve between the hose bib and the hose.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #23

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
I just bought a Zero G hose, and it has a brass insert at the female end that attaches to the tap.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
When I read the OP's post my first thought was, me too. I replace my dock hoses just about every two years, and I'm in South Dakota where they're only exposed six months each year and our U/V exposure even in summer is far less than say Florida. I replace one hundred feet of hose each time so it's not peanuts, because it's 40 feet from the faucet to the water locker on the stern for house water, and then I do the same length for a general purpose dock hose. I used to be a big Zero-G fan too, loved them initially, but my enthusiasm has evaporated. Maybe I let the hoses freeze in the early and very late seasons, but at the end of the second year my Zero-G hoses keep bursting. The interior rubber sleeves just keep splitting and spraying everywhere. I religiously turn the water off each time we leave the boat so they're not pressurized full, but I don't blow them out each time. Yes, I know, Zero-G has a lifetime replacement guarantee, but (1) I'd have to track and remember where I bought them, or (2) fool with filing the claim and shipping and meanwhile my dock hoses are popping and spraying everywhere. I've just resigned myself to buying new every couple years.

(I do like black rubber at home, even though they're difficult to handle, but can't use black rubber on the dock. They mark up the white boat and white dock posts too badly.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Zero G. It coils perfectly in my wash bucket after use. At home we use 100' black industrial hose.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound Region
Vessel Name: WakeRobin
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Zero G. I like them because they're potable water safe, easy to handle, and coil nicely. 'Never had one fail.
Camano 31 #262
WakeRobin
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
Zero G. I like them because they're potable water safe, easy to handle, and coil nicely. 'Never had one fail.
Had the guy at the hardware store tell me that water can get trapped in the folds of the Zero-G hose when it shrinks back. These spots can be a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. Think about it, a dark, warm, wet area is the perfect medium for mold. For this reason, the guy did not recommend them for potable water use.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
We had a pair of "as seen on TV" versions of the Zero-G hose. Both herniated and failed within 10 minutes of use this spring. Worked fine last year, but apparently they met their end. Went with a more conventional hose this time.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #29
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I don't see the point of expandable hoses as a dock hose. They cause me more problems than they solve, like expanding and falling into the water. I do like them as a transient hose because they take up minimum storage space. See my previous post. I love the Flexilla hose as a permanent dock hose. Flexible but durable and good fittings. Very flexible and easy to move around and safe for drinking water. What's not to love?
Old 05-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Canby, Oregon & LaPaz, BCS, MX
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood
Use caution with the white marine hoses. We had one degrade on the inside and contaminate our water tanks with small bits of white plastic. We stick to the clear silicone ones with brass fitting.
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #31
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStarDF50 View Post
Use caution with the white marine hoses. We had one degrade on the inside and contaminate our water tanks with small bits of white plastic. We stick to the clear silicone ones with brass fitting.
I hate the white marine hoses. They don't last long and they are always very stiff and difficult to use, which led me to find Flexilla. No, I don't have any connection to the company, but like to tell others when I find a product I really like.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Cary
Vessel Name: None
Vessel Model: None
Just be sure that the hose you buy is rated for potable (drinking) water. Water hose usually comes with the blue stripe, is blue, or specifically states it's safe to drink from - no plastic taste. You can get UV protected (stabilized) hose as well.

Stuff grows fast in the hose, and in some marina waterlines, so let me recommend putting a Camco Taste Pure (blue inline) water filter at the end of the hose that goes into the tank. Walmart $19. Good for six months or so.

GIGO - It usually takes running the water tanks as low as possible about five times before the water is drinkable. On our 49' DeFever with 350 gallons of water, we could drain the tanks, refill through the Camco, run the washing machine to use volumes of hot water to clear the lines. Then continue to run hot and cold water out of all faucets, refill, repeat, and then good to go. On our Albin, again, it took five times running the water tank dry and refilling it through the Camco filter to get clear, testably clean water.
Bob
HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #33
Guru

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Had the guy at the hardware store tell me that water can get trapped in the folds of the Zero-G hose when it shrinks back. These spots can be a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. Think about it, a dark, warm, wet area is the perfect medium for mold. For this reason, the guy did not recommend them for potable water use.
A Zero-G hose doesn’t shrink back. It’s just no longer pressurized when disconnected. Nearly any hose will have residual water that under the right conditions can harbor growth.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Lake Champlain, VT
Vessel Name: Island Bound
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 48'
One of my friends at my last marina would just use PEX "pipe", 50' coil. Attached with a Sharkbite garden hose fitting to each end. Used the same white PEX pipe/hose for several years. Just checked and 1/2" 50' is $18.00.
Greggnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #35

City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: 1991 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
No one ever died from drinking water from a dirt house garden hose. INHO this concern is just more boaters' paranoia.
I’m not concerned about safety. I just don’t like the rubber taste. I use the white drinking water hoses.
SeaDogAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #36
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Zero G has changed the composition of the hose ends and they don’t fuse to the spigot any longer. I complained that two hoses fused to the spigot and they promptly replaced them. I had to send them a picture of both hose ends cut off the hose. They were very nice to deal with.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #37

City: Hamilton
Vessel Name: Moon Dragon
Vessel Model: 1989 IG32
We have have 3 hoses “aboard”. Let me explain
Our fresh water hose is used only for filling our FW tank & is kept in a sealed bag, ends coupled, and the filter we use.
Spare hose is a 50 foot, fabric, on a reel. Made by Toro. This is about 40 years old. Always on the reel and stored when not is use.
The last hose is a SS currently hung on the dock pedestal. When traveling with us is resides in the lazaratte. It is our wash down hose.
Leo Reise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #38

City: Dana Point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Zero G hoses are nice and light but very durable. The end fittings are good quality. Hose itself seems to hold up well in the sun.
https://www.google.com/search?q=zero...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I agree but lubricant the nozzle first or you'll never be able to remove after awhile
Rodger That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #39

City: Dana Point
Add some lubricant to the nozzle so you can remove it later
Rodger That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Fortunate Sun
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
+1 for Zero G. Between the house and boat I have many of them. No lasting kinks, little if any memory when coiling and very durable. Highly recommended. Also available on Amazon if your local hardware store doesn’t have them or the length you want.
R lucky is offline   Reply With Quote