Garden hose for boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use caution with the white marine hoses. We had one degrade on the inside and contaminate our water tanks with small bits of white plastic. We stick to the clear silicone ones with brass fitting.

I hate the white marine hoses. They don't last long and they are always very stiff and difficult to use, which led me to find Flexilla. No, I don't have any connection to the company, but like to tell others when I find a product I really like.

Just be sure that the hose you buy is rated for potable (drinking) water. Water hose usually comes with the blue stripe, is blue, or specifically states it's safe to drink from - no plastic taste. You can get UV protected (stabilized) hose as well.

Stuff grows fast in the hose, and in some marina waterlines, so let me recommend putting a Camco Taste Pure (blue inline) water filter at the end of the hose that goes into the tank. Walmart $19. Good for six months or so.

GIGO - It usually takes running the water tanks as low as possible about five times before the water is drinkable. On our 49' DeFever with 350 gallons of water, we could drain the tanks, refill through the Camco, run the washing machine to use volumes of hot water to clear the lines. Then continue to run hot and cold water out of all faucets, refill, repeat, and then good to go. On our Albin, again, it took five times running the water tank dry and refilling it through the Camco filter to get clear, testably clean water.
Bob

Had the guy at the hardware store tell me that water can get trapped in the folds of the Zero-G hose when it shrinks back. These spots can be a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. Think about it, a dark, warm, wet area is the perfect medium for mold. For this reason, the guy did not recommend them for potable water use.

A Zero-G hose doesn’t shrink back. It’s just no longer pressurized when disconnected. Nearly any hose will have residual water that under the right conditions can harbor growth.

One of my friends at my last marina would just use PEX "pipe", 50' coil. Attached with a Sharkbite garden hose fitting to each end. Used the same white PEX pipe/hose for several years. Just checked and 1/2" 50' is $18.00.

No one ever died from drinking water from a dirt house garden hose. INHO this concern is just more boaters' paranoia.

I’m not concerned about safety. I just don’t like the rubber taste. I use the white drinking water hoses.

Zero G has changed the composition of the hose ends and they don’t fuse to the spigot any longer. I complained that two hoses fused to the spigot and they promptly replaced them. I had to send them a picture of both hose ends cut off the hose. They were very nice to deal with.

We have have 3 hoses “aboard”. Let me explain
Our fresh water hose is used only for filling our FW tank & is kept in a sealed bag, ends coupled, and the filter we use.
Spare hose is a 50 foot, fabric, on a reel. Made by Toro. This is about 40 years old. Always on the reel and stored when not is use.
The last hose is a SS currently hung on the dock pedestal. When traveling with us is resides in the lazaratte. It is our wash down hose.

+1 for Zero G. Between the house and boat I have many of them. No lasting kinks, little if any memory when coiling and very durable. Highly recommended. Also available on Amazon if your local hardware store doesn’t have them or the length you want.

Should watch this video before buying a Zero-G. At least you will have some more info to consider. This guy used to recommend it for his RV but doesn’t anymore.

Do you leave the hoses out on the dock when not in use? Constant sunlight kills most types of them pretty quickly. Once we got in the habit of draining the hose, coiling it, and stowing it aboard the boat after every use they started lasting much, much longer.

:thumb:

If you are using a hose o fill your boat's potable water tank, you really should be using a "drinking water safe" hose. These are usually white and can be found at West Marine, RV stores and Walmart in the camping section.

If you leave it on the dock, a dock neighbor may borrow it to rinse out his holding tank! Better to keep it on your boat or in a dock box. Mine last several years and when they get a bit ratty, they become my boat washing hose and I get a new drinking water hose.

Not all drinking hoses are white. I've bought the white hose from West Marine and I think it failed by the end of 1 season so I don't use them anymore. I also found them extremely. In my case I don't normally plan to drink the water from my tank, I carry bottled water for that and just use the tank water for bathing and such.

Despite the video, the Zero G claims to be drinking water safe. It’s the hose I use for my tanks. However, we do fill a filtering water pitcher for drinking purposes and have been drinking the tank water for years as a live aboard. We use a pitcher called “Clearly Filtered.” After much research it appears to be the best at removing contaminants. The filters are purchased on a subscription basis so we never forget to change it. We no longer buy any bottled water. In fact, tap water tastes really funky to us now.

Back
Top Bottom