Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Guru

Garage flooring systems on Deck

I have a sun deck trawler, and I have carpet on my back Sun deck. It doesn't drain well and always grows mold . The gelcoat underneath is not really in great shape. Has anybody used any of the garage flooring systems. There's ones that snap together and there's ones that come in sheets. Opinions?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I have behr textured deckover paint. I know what you're thinking but it's awesome for the price(like kiwigrip).

You could also do knockoff seadek. EVA foam decking and costs about $200 for my flybridge and equal for the back deck. I liked it so much i'm currently putting it down in the interior of the boat too.

Behr textured deckover(on the sides and bow of the boat)

EVA foam before/after

Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #3

I also forgot to mention the puzzle piece foam idea wont last, it'll fade in the sun and hold even more mold. Those things are junk(ask me how I know).
Old 09-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
High quality indoor outdoor carpet overcomes those issues. We had it on our aft deck for years no problems and still going strong when we sold the boat.
Had an area rug on the flying bridge, ditto... took it with us when we sold the boat. You do need to vacuum them like any other carpet, dirt causes a lot of the mold issues.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Take a look at corinthianmarine.com
They have glue down and snap in flooring that looks great.
More $ than paint but a very different finish.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
I used Ikea Runnen wood floor tiles. They are snap together. I did varnish them before I put the tiles in. Easy to trim with a bandsaw. Also, available in plastic.

The wood is mounted on a plastic carrier. This also provides a gap under the wooden slats for water to drain away.
Attached Thumbnails
floor2.sized.jpg  
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
Guru

I like the look of these tiles. If I can ask how long you've had them installed and how are they holding up?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have had a couple neighboring boats install Seadeck or similar products. It looks really good and see to have held up well. I know a number of boat builders are using it as standard surfaces for swim steps and cockpits now.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on my cockpit and may someday.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I like the look of these tiles. If I can ask how long you've had them installed and how are they holding up?
I installed them in May '18. I can't say how they will hold up. Because of my work and the crappy weather in my part of the country this summer I have only been on my boat a couple of times since I put them in. When not in use the boat is covered. So far so good though.

There are couple of things I will say about them. The each wood pieces are attached to the plastic lattice at a couple of points. Depending on how the tile is trimmed, some of the wood pieces loose one connection and them may be able to turn on the lattice. For those pieces I just glued them to the lattice with 5200 to stop the turning.

Also, the wood is stained. It is a light wood (acacia I think). When trimmed, the cut edges are light vs. the stained part. When installed in my boat, you can't see the trimmed edges, so I didn't do anything about them.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I used Ikea Runnen wood floor tiles. They are snap together. I did varnish them before I put the tiles in. Easy to trim with a bandsaw. Also, available in plastic.

The wood is mounted on a plastic carrier. This also provides a gap under the wooden slats for water to drain away.
Thats an original idea. Looks cool.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Guru

FWIW, you can buy teak tiles that look pretty much the same as the Ikea wood tiles. The teak tiles are about $7 ea. The Ikea ones are about $2 ea.

https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Decor-BA...ZXV7SFG6X&th=1
Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
I have a sun deck trawler, and I have carpet on my back Sun deck. It doesn't drain well and always grows mold . The gelcoat underneath is not really in great shape. Has anybody used any of the garage flooring systems. There's ones that snap together and there's ones that come in sheets. Opinions?
Covering up a deck problem like is mentioned above only makes it worse.
I’d take some moisture readings and possibly test cores before even contemplating recovering the deck.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Covering up a deck problem like is mentioned above only makes it worse.
I’d take some moisture readings and possibly test cores before even contemplating recovering the deck.
I I left the wrong impression my Decks are gel coat it with non-skid and very solid. I just do not like the way they look
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Used to know a guy who had astro-turf on his sundeck. I thought that was a rather interesting approach, and he certainly liked it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
I installed them in May '18. I can't say how they will hold up. Because of my work and the crappy weather in my part of the country this summer I have only been on my boat a couple of times since I put them in. When not in use the boat is covered. So far so good though.

There are couple of things I will say about them. The each wood pieces are attached to the plastic lattice at a couple of points. Depending on how the tile is trimmed, some of the wood pieces loose one connection and them may be able to turn on the lattice. For those pieces I just glued them to the lattice with 5200 to stop the turning.

Also, the wood is stained. It is a light wood (acacia I think). When trimmed, the cut edges are light vs. the stained part. When installed in my boat, you can't see the trimmed edges, so I didn't do anything about them.
I'm the guy who posted up the peel and stick teak and you inspired me to put an order into Ikea. I really like how that looks and worst case scenario i'll put them in the bathroom/shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Used to know a guy who had astro-turf on his sundeck. I thought that was a rather interesting approach, and he certainly liked it.
I mean just about anything will work but IMO carpet/astro turf has no place on a yacht(maybe inside). Like having a beach house full of carpet..

It also looks a step below cheap IMO.. Probably feels nice in cold weather though.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We just used the flakes and single part topside paint about 2 years ago.I took this pic last week. We rolled the paint kinda heavy and sprinkled in the flakes as we went.I did ok and this was our first attempt at this stuff. Some of it didn’t stick but it sure does a good job of covering up some rough fiberglass work.
Attached Thumbnails
DCEF75D8-26D6-449F-B0AB-A0B45EAEF5F8.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #17

City: Andrews, IN
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler Harpoon 6.2
I just purchased Rustoleum's Epoxy Garage Floor System. I plan on removing the old carpet like sewn headliner which is disintegrating and painting the exposed fiberglass.

After reading the instructions, it sounds like it requires lots of prep and a very quick application time.
smbucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Us bottom feeders use this:
https://www.durabakcompany.com/marine/
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
I recently saw a pickup truck that gad been completely painted with bed liner paint and wondered if that product wouldn't be a good solution to worn decks.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Kodiak
Vessel Name: Nautical Girl
Vessel Model: Wellcraft California 34 LRC
What do you use on the wood? Looks great.
Capt Q is offline   Reply With Quote