galley-up or galley-down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
Do you prefer the galley-up or galley-down configuration on a 40-something-foot trawler, and why? From the pictures on yachtworld, it looks like galley-up typically has a little more elbow room, but it seems kind of a drag to have sink and stove in the middle of your living room.

We have a galley-up, we really like it as the person in the galley is part of the action and can enjoy the view while doing galley duty. The galley is on the left of photo.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 230
We have a galley-up, we really like it as the person in the galley is part of the action and can enjoy the view while doing galley duty. The galley is on the left of photo.
+1

Attachments

• image-2688353384.jpg
    image-2688353384.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 253
That screaming you heard was everyone on board yelling "UP". We just like up and as open as reasonable so that everyone remains connected. Even more, when we're on the bridge, we love to grill and prepare what we can up there. We have a day/weekend/sports boat with galley down and the term more often used is, "I'm going to the basement to fix lunch." Even though it's the level we sleep on, when we're all on the main deck talking, then someone having to go to the lower deck does seem like the basement. Not bad going down to sleep, because you're not left out of anything then. Sports boat no choice but fro cruising and trawler like fun, we would never buy a boat with galley down.

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Oh my. Almost as controversial as an anchor question. Mr. R makes a valid point regarding proximity to the "action" but a counter to that would be if one has guests sleeping in the saloon one can prepare a piping hot breakfast whilst allowing them to slumber on. As well it may be argued that, depending on one's domestic inclinations it removes a sink full of soiled dinnerware from line of sight...until the morning after.
Some don't like galley down for a claustrophobic reason. As I'm sure you'll find out there are two sides to the question. Currently have a vessel where the question doesn't enter into the equation.

Last edited:
The question is how to you use your boat? I prefer an up but ended up with a down go figure. I believe the down is better suited for staterooms - do you really need a large window in a stateroom where you sleep? Better to have a galley up - everyone including the cook enjoying the time on the boat. Also we prefer when there is any type of sun to sit out on the cockpit with a galley down it also puts the cook further from the socializing. And adds stairs to food delivery/drinks. Again, my vote up.

Admiral’s first boat wish: Galley UP! – I say, A-OK! :thumb:

Her second boat wish: BIG windows in salon, especially at up-galley area – I say, A-OK!! :thumb:

Then I say... be very careful on your third boat wish... make sure it counts. She says to me, be prepared, be very prepared! I think to myself – OH Crap, what kind of a mess am I about to get into?? This boat wish will be a doozie!! So far silence on boat wishes has lasted for years... phew! I’m still staying very prepared – LOL :hide: :rofl:

Attachments

• Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 223
Galley middle is my choice.

Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.:socool:

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge.

MC5.jpg

Ted

Admiral’s first boat wish: Galley UP! – I say, A-OK! :thumb:

Ditto! Big time! My wife equates galley down with this and served notice that galley down = boating alone.

Reactions: Art
Galley middle is my choice.

Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.:socool:

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge.

Ted
:thumb:
Galley UP for same reasons (OK, pilothouse up, galley middle). Also, it makes trips between the grill, fridge and counters much easier. Never had a problem with waking guests in the AM, as we seldom have overnighters with us, and when we do we are usually all up with the sun.

Galley UP, for all of the reasons noted above plus one. We donate several dinner cruises a year to local charities to auction off at their fund raisers.

img_218421_0_5a8362ed315fdc4be76d3b3a683eb0c1.jpg

Here's one of the dinner cruises. It's very handy to be on the same level as the dining area and also nice to be a part of the conversation, plus the guests get to enjoy watching GW prepare their meal. It's usually a 5-6 course meal prepared almost totally on the boat during the cruise.

img_218421_1_757090a224cc12b0d1344c79a6ee31d5.jpg

Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.

My wife is an excellent cook and she absolutely demands "galley down" in a larger boat, such as our Hatteras. Of course coupled with a nice dinette and 18' beam, anyone who wants to gather in the galley can. But she is a messy chef and typically doesn't like to be too distracted until towards the end. We used to charter Grand Banks 49's, one was a Classic with galley up and another a Motoryacht with it down. She preferred down in that case too. Doesn't like the cooking smells permeating the salon either, not a big deal though. We certainly cruised happily on vacations that included a galley up design. But for living aboard and full time cruising? Ixnay.

However, I don't see "down" as being physically practical on boats much below 45 feet. There are some, but they tend to be cramped. All in all, one of those personal preference things, no particular "best" design. Other than ours, of course!

DSC_0420.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

Having an aft deck that serves as a main dining room helps too:

DSC_0252.JPG

And of course optional dining on the Lido Deck:

DSC_0123_2.JPG

Last edited:
Galley down- it's more intimate. It's nice to prepare the meals (I am the chief cook) in a space specially designated for cooking. Post dinner dishes can be deposited in the galley, and don't clutter up the salon space.

Depends upon whether you like to look at your wife, or not. I definitely like galley up.

We like the gally down in our Tolly 44. Gally down is only a couple steps down from living room and chef can still be engaged in any conversation taking place in living room. Plus gives us more space in living room.

Whats a "galley".:rofl:

On a 40 something foot boat other than a term for where the fridge , stove, and a seat or two, maybe is located.

With that being said where the BBQ , and cooler of beer are located on deck, towards the back of the old boat is my spot for the "galley" :D

Dishes ? whats up with that. :thumb:

Friends swore their next boat would be galley up, in their search they fell in love with a galley down boat so, they bought it and named it Galley Up!

Ours is Galley up our last, a Camano 31, was galley down, it didn't make much difference to us but we probably have a slight preference for galley up.

Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.

That is why we chose galley down.

...Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.:socool:

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge....

Well said. :)

Attachments

• Picture 522.jpg
    Picture 522.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 003a.jpg
    003a.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 170
It really sounds funny in one respect...every marina I've ever tied up to in the last 20 years along the ICW has spent 90 percent of their time telling me of all the great places to eat ..not where the cheapest fuel is, not where I can get spare parts, not where the cops or hospital is...

So I would have to take that as many power boaters really don't even need their galley...:D:D:D

Down galley for us. It was the number one requirement for the admiral after chartering several trawlers. The last one a GB with a down galley. She was hooked after that.

Do you prefer the galley-up or galley-down configuration on a 40-something-foot trawler, and why? From the pictures on yachtworld, it looks like galley-up typically has a little more elbow room, but it seems kind of a drag to have sink and stove in the middle of your living room.

Well there you have it, about 50% are right and about 50% are wrong (just like an anchor thread). :rolleyes: Now all you need to do is figure out which is which. ;)

Ted

Perfect 50-50

Well there you have it, about 50% are right and about 50% are wrong (just like an anchor thread). :rolleyes: Now all you need to do is figure out which is which. ;)

Ted
At least there is choice. My galley and salon are in the same space, salon. Pilot house up, salon in the middle, state rooms below. My Dinette is in the pilot house. We never use the dinette except when under away for lunch or maybe a rare dinner. If your under way the ability to share a dinner with the helmsman is a nice feature. The rest of the time we sit on bar stools or use tv trays. The galley down does make for more formal entertaining. But it takes away from the forward stateroom size.

Galley UP, for all of the reasons noted above plus one. We donate several dinner cruises a year to local charities to auction off at their fund raisers.

img_218464_0_5a8362ed315fdc4be76d3b3a683eb0c1.jpg

Here's one of the dinner cruises. It's very handy to be on the same level as the dining area and also nice to be a part of the conversation, plus the guests get to enjoy watching GW prepare their meal. It's usually a 5-6 course meal prepared almost totally on the boat during the cruise.

img_218464_1_757090a224cc12b0d1344c79a6ee31d5.jpg
whos GW?
is he for hire?

That is why we chose galley down.

My wife spends a big part of the day cooking. She likes cooking. We eat most meals aboard when cruising. She likes to see out when shes cooking under way or at anchor. She prefers galley up so she can be apart of the cruising and still cook.

Another vote for UP

Both galley and saloon down. Navigating up.

img_218483_0_1e73de7b9d96d19c39c762a968f23f00.jpg

img_218483_1_652533aff75b269a67bf835ccac1df51.jpg

Galley up for fun , dont really go to sea boats. Galley down (and center) for ocean cruising, passagemaking boats. I love the galley up in my sportfisher. I designed the galley down, amidship in my trawler for crossing oceans. Totally different animals.

Actually your question is allot larger than galley up or galley down.

It comes more down to what style of boat you prefer, because some styles lend themselves to a galley up design and some to a galley down design.

Pilothouse style boats are often galley up. That's again because of the basic layout of a pilothouse boat.

I'm not as familiar with aft cabin boats but several of the ones I've seen have the galley down.

I would look at boats and figure out what features seem to go together in a certain size and style of boat. There are only so many ways to for example arrange a 50' pilothouse, and there are only so many ways to arrange a certain size aft cabin boat.

Ted

Shat - Dat's ez ta determn!

Fer Gals - 1st 50% b up galy
Fer Guys - 1st 50% b dwn galy

Dere's da anser(s)... Wat's da problm?? :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom