Old 05-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
Guru

City: Here
15" pizza stone cut down to fit our 13" Magma. Great pizza but even better steaks, pork roasts, chops, lobster and fish. No splatter or flare-ups
Attached Thumbnails
PIZZA FINAL.jpg   IMG_2914.JPG   IMG_2999.JPG   IMG_3060.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That's a great idea, Wambo! Do you just burn and brush it off when you're done grilling?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
How did you attach that Weber Q grill to your railing?
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
If you don't want to buy a pizza stone we used large ceramic floor tiles we had leftover from a build.
Easier clean as the face is glossy.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's a great idea, Wambo! Do you just burn and brush it off when you're done grilling?
Dollar store paint scraper.

I get a chuckle out of "Wambo"
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Migration
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
We have Aldi here, I will have to check for them
BillZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #27

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
If you don't want to buy a pizza stone we used large ceramic floor tiles we had leftover from a build.
Easier clean as the face is glossy.
Just a word of caution. Some glaze's are toxic to people. Others would be marked food safe iirc.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #28

City: Kiln,MS
Damn that pizza looks good billze.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks! It was good!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZe View Post
I have a Weber grill that I set up on my mid deck. I love having the ability to grill, especially on nights when bands are playing at my marina. I can grill and enjoy the music at the same time. I also added a fishing board for food prep.

How did you attach the Weber Q grill to your rail?
Thanks
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I bought a piece at a boat show that I drilled into grill. It then fits into a fishing pole rod holder.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #32
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
We have limited galley storage space in our little 30 footer and need to choose our cooking gear carefully. Still we manage to cook up some great feasts. Here's a few space saver tricks we use.

I have a collapsible kettle than flattens, so in can stay on the stove even with the stove lid closed.
We have a large stainless fire fighting bucket (required under local safety regulations) which doubles for cooking crabs or big serves of pasta.
Heavy cast iron cookware are essentials for us but take up no more room than the so called "non stick" variety. I usually find them in second hand store; the older the better.
We don't have a proper BBQ but have a cast iron BBQ plate which fits perfectly over our alcohol stove. It takes up virtually no space on its side in the cupboard.
We have a portable butane stove for when more than two pots are required.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sounds like you make the most of your space!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #34
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Instead of putting in an expensive electric or propane oven, I decided to try a convection oven. I made a pizza but the cheese was a little burnt. I am still working on learning how to adjust from conventional to convectional. I was wondering if anyone else chose to do this and what your experiences have been?

Our onboard oven is a combo microwave/convection unit.. and we just follow the directions (for timing and temps) in their cookbook. Fotr example, we had our Thanksgiving turkey (breast) on board this last year, just followed the directions for roasting, turned out perfect.

Quote:
I have a Weber grill that I set up on my mid deck. I love having the ability to grill, especially on nights when bands are playing at my marina. I can grill and enjoy the music at the same time. I also added a fishing board for food prep.
That'd be nice to be able to do. We could grill on the boat in the marina where we stayed over the winter... but our home marina, and most around here, don't allow using either charcoal or gas grills while at the dock.

-Chris
Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Cast iron cookware we would not be without.
We have a Dutch oven and a French pan that we have had forever
Constant even heat, something we can't get with aluminium or S/S cookwear.

FWIW, we've had good luck with the various stainless models that have an encapsulated aluminum plate between layers of stainless for the bottom. Very even heating, haven't ever found any hot or cool spots...

For many years we used a cast aluminum set at home, and they finally went south... but the bottoms were really (really!) thick... and they also heated very evenly. Did I mention thick? They're apparently no longer in favor, though...

Wandering aside... I started part of this thread with comments about the nesting sets... I think if I were buying today, I'd not bother to get the non-stick versions. We only have non-stick in the "skillet" (lid) and ours is holding up OK, but it has turned out to be essentially unnecessary for our needs.

OTOH, I think I'd also augment the nesting set with a real flat (no sides) "grill" (pan) of some sort, and that might be good as non-stick. We're being inundated with commercials for copper models these days, and a friend tried one, said it works great. I may get a flat skillet anyway, once I figure out where to store one on board...

-Chris
Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
A good vacuum packer (we use a Foodsaver) has changed much of how we do things.

If I cook anything (Steak tips, pork chops, chicken breasts) I cook way more than I need. Theoretically, it's the same amount of propane to cook 3 steak tips as it is to cook 6.

We eat what we want and let the rest cool. Then vac pak them (usually 1-2 per pakg)and throw them into the freezer.

Now we can pull out a frozen pkg and let it thaw, then dice it up and toss it into anything. Quesadilla's are great, as are steak or chicken subs. mince the chicken for chicken salad or toss into a chowder or soup. We'll even cook some rice (real rice, not instant) then let it cool. Now toss the rice and diced meat into a high walled fry pan along with some veg for a stir fry.

It's a great way to make fast meals, with whole foods. Plus it allows us to have contingencies for when it's raining and nobody wants to stand in the rain to cook.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #37

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Calphalon has a new line they call "space saving."

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...spacesaving-ss

It's not a true nesting design, but basically has some space saving features like the lids. It's a heavy duty product, like All Clad D5. It's not going to work if you are very limited on storage. But if you have room, it's a great product.

I was hemming and hawing about the Cristal Strate line. I liked the product and the stacking but the price was shocking. I got the Calphalon at 25% off, so my whole set was about the price of one Cristal pot. Score!

They have both a SS and Nonstick versions. Happy cooking!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
A good vacuum packer (we use a Foodsaver) has changed much of how we do things.

Good point. We got one a few months ago, too, and it does seem to improve how long we can keep food well-frozen.

Wandering off a bit to a list of stuff we've found most useful on board over time:
- (good) nesting stainless cookware (ours are probably Cuisinart)
- a small Instant Pot (mostly in pressure cooker mode)
- a small slow cooker
- combo convection/microwave oven
- a propane grill, outside (ours is a very old Magma, looks like Boatpoker's; mixed feelings about the actual model...)
- a set of good cooking and steak knives (our are Henckels)
- one of the several flatware sets we were given at our wedding
- an extended set of a Corel dinner service plus extra complementary pieces
- a vacuum packer (getting used to it...)
- a "plastic" (?) NordicWare microwave insert thing, with ridges on one side, rides on the turntable, great for bacon!

I like the pizza brick idea; the one we use at home works great... gotta try that on the boat grill!

I think I'll eventually shop for a flat grille/skillet to augment the nesting set. The nesting skillet (also a lid for the whole set) works fine but the sides are so high it makes turning eggs a bit of a chore... and the sides aren't rounded enough like an omelet pan so actually flipping eggs hasn't worked all that well...

Something I've found totally useless: a blender. I reckon if a drink has more than two ingredients, it's either a waste of time or too fru-fru for my tastes. Ice in an ingredient.

-Chris
Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #39

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Oooh, I love cooking and even more so on the boat (even with a POS electric Princess Stove)

I have three galley essentials:
1) Dutch Oven for stews, curries, soups, and casseroles
2) A grill for meats and vegetables
3) An oven for baked goods.
Attached Thumbnails
23847345_10155883278244801_3957681503452490805_o.jpg   13092198_10154185938249801_2008160600169872688_n.jpg   17309030_10155139470759801_3840449797848764777_n.jpg  
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'll second a good set of knives. We don't use 'gadgets', they take up space, many use eletricity, and they are often a pain to clean. Anything (or anybody) that wastes space, water or power is not welcome on our boat.

There is nothing that gadgets do that I can't do with an old school (analog...LOL!!) french (chef) knife. I also keep a small santoku and a large paring knife on the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, boat, cooking, grilling