Galley stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am organizing my galley and trying to create a simple, productive, easy space to suit my liveaboard, cruising needs.

I need a new cooktop. The one I have now (that does not work and needs updated) was alcohol/electric.

I am thinking of a two burner electric induction cooktop to fit in the space where the old cooktop is now. I would operate it off solar/battery while cruising.

I would appreciate any insight, advice, suggestions for specific cooktops you might be aware of.

Thanks.

Tim

How much electric does the induction vs Force 10?
Is it a plug and play 120Vt system?
What will you use as an oven?
Can you install 'sea rails' and pot holders on the induction cook top?

Running an electric stove off the batteries will require planning (battery bank size, charging, and inverter).

Ken

I am organizing my galley and trying to create a simple, productive, easy space to suit my liveaboard, cruising needs.

I need a new cooktop. The one I have now (that does not work and needs updated) was alcohol/electric.

I am thinking of a two burner electric induction cooktop to fit in the space where the old cooktop is now. I would operate it off solar/battery while cruising.

I would appreciate any insight, advice, suggestions for specific cooktops you might be aware of.

Thanks.

Tim

Any kind of electric resistance heating device requires a LOT of juice. I would think battery/solar/inverter power would be woefully inadequate. Would require a generator unless you are planning a lot of cold entrees.

I have two large battery banks, no generator and do my cooking on Wallas diesel stove and oven. Can't say enough good about them.

I share your feelings about the (Origo?) alcohol/110 cooktop. I had one on a previous sailboat. It had two cooking modes: cool and lukewarm.

Last edited:
This is what I replaced the old electric Princess stove with. The Admiral is very pleased with it.

Force10 65335 3 Burner Electric Galley Range, 120 Volt

1200 watt at 120 volts = 10 amps

LOL load management especially on a 30 amp boat. Go turn off the hot water heater.
I can switch the microwave to the inverter. SMILE

I wonder how 3 burner glass top ranks with the 2 burner induction stove top?

Ah I found the answer....
https://theboatgalley.com/induction-cooktop-on-boat/
First road block.... requires 220vt.

Last edited:
Maybe ditch the range and use an Insta-Pot?

Hi

I do not know if this product was invented in Finland. Bottle cap with flavor and carbonic acid, take the water in the bottle and turn it around and have a drink ready, these also come with alcohol as a drink. (Please note here all the water drinks are good wherever you can get water from the bucket.) The caps carry little space and the water is in the tank.

iu

Watch the video how to make a cola drink.
https://youtu.be/eGuCND0Zuvk

NBs

Last edited:
How close a fit was it in the cabinet to the old stove?

I replaced my 3 burner Princess with a 3 Burner Force 10. It is a direct fit. Slide out the Princess and slide in the Force 10.
I cant tell any difference in the 'ability' of the two units.

I can use my generator if solar/battery do not provide enough power.

I am looking for various cooking options: grill, cooktop, one pot (instant pot all in one contraption), solar oven. Various methods to cook while cruising.

Just not being at a marina connected to 30amp.

Using all cooking modes possible.

So I am looking for a simple cooktop, electric (to use my generator if needed).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Has anyone replaced a Princess with a unit that has a convection/microwave oven? Now that would be a space-saver!

Does she like the oven too?

She says she likes it, especially the way the oven door opens. She still has to "flip" the biscuits to get them brown on both sides.

How close a fit was it in the cabinet to the old stove?

Force 10 has a install kit so it will fit in the Princess hole.

Currently she is fixing moose breakfast sausage, gravy and biscuits!!

Attachments

• IMG_3303.jpg
    IMG_3303.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 59
She says she likes it, especially the way the oven door opens. She still has to "flip" the biscuits to get them brown on both sides.

Force 10 has a install kit so it will fit in the Princess hole.

Currently she is fixing moose breakfast sausage, gravy and biscuits!!

HMMMMMM, she does make Awesome Biscuits & Gravy!

No one has mentioned it, so I will ask. Does anyone use a diesel stove/oven? Seems like it would simplify things, having just one fuel needed. No need to worry about killing the batteries. I know they are popular with commercial boats in the more Northern climes, but I have never seen one on a boat down here in Florida.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

No one has mentioned it, so I will ask. Does anyone use a diesel stove/oven? Seems like it would simplify things, having just one fuel needed. No need to worry about killing the batteries. I know they are popular with commercial boats in the more Northern climes, but I have never seen one on a boat down here in Florida.

We have and use our diesel stove, with oven. Ours is the Fab All, by Sigmar. Similar size to Dickinson Pacific. The failing of this design is giving up 1/3 of the space below the stove top to the burner, so the oven is quite small, unless you get into the larger sizes, like the Dickinson Atlantic.
Ours is good for up to a loaf of bread or a Costco Lasagna, but fails at Christmas turkey.

Doesn't diesel stove make the interior of the boat really hot????

No one has mentioned it, so I will ask. Does anyone use a diesel stove/oven? Seems like it would simplify ...

I did post higher up the thread, but at the risk of repeating myself:

The boat I purchased three years ago came with a Swedish Wallas two-burner diesel cooktop and oven. They run off the primary fuel system, via their own Racor. Not sure I would have been clever enough to have bought them myself, but I now wouldn't be without, and any hypothetical future vessel would be similarly equipped.

My cabin heat is provided by a large Scanmar diesel drip heater served by a gravity tank good for about three days of overnight coziness.

No propane, no generator, no noise at dockside.

KokopelliTim - I have had Origo alcohol stoves in several previous boats and loved them. They are pressureless, foolproof, require no power, and cook very well. I liked my first one so much I pulled a perfectly good propane stove out of my boat and replaced it with an Origo two burner stove.

If utensils qualify, I picked up one of these Oxo flat whisks and it works great. Perfect for just about everything and it doesn't take up the whole drawer to store it. Got one for home too. About the only thing a full-sized whisk does better is a large bowl full of whipped cream. Everything else works great.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Better-Whisk/dp/B00004OCNT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom