Galley Fuel types increase insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pulling out the old electric/pressurized alcohol stove. Do I need to worry about increased insurance premiums based on the fuel source for the new stove? I "heard" alcohol may make the rates go up. Then I heard propane would do it. Then I took my meds and didn't hear anything for awhile.

Anyone else hearing things about galley fuel?

Regardless of what you replace it with it might be a good idea to have a certified surveyor inspect the new installation and provide some documentation as to the acceptance of the installation. This could help if there ever was an insurance claim.

I have seen this discussion a number of times over the years. I have always laughed at the comments "pressurized alcohol stoves are dangerous". We had one for over 40 years. Never a flare up and always worked. The real key is not or over pressurize them - 3 lbs max. Tank had a gauge.
That said, I did replace it with a non-pressurized unit - a little slower but safer than propane.
Reason to use alcohol - you put a fire out with water.
Our new to us boat came with propane. Went "poof" with one burner. Replaced the stove immediately. Still do not trust the new one completely.

I have seen this discussion a number of times over the years. I have always laughed at the comments "pressurized alcohol stoves are dangerous". We had one for over 40 years. Never a flare up and always worked. The real key is not or over pressurize them - 3 lbs max. Tank had a gauge.
That said, I did replace it with a non-pressurized unit - a little slower but safer than propane.
Reason to use alcohol - you put a fire out with water.
Our new to us boat came with propane. Went "poof" with one burner. Replaced the stove immediately. Still do not trust the new one completely.

True, but maybe the better option is not having to put out a fire in the first place!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom